Confirmed with Link: Kevin Klein Has Retired

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
A great Ranger. But wow did he's play de-Klein quickly.

giphy.gif

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
Somehow became a goal scoring superhero in his first two full (ish) seasons with us.

Thanks for being a good soldier through some fun times, Klein.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Solid player who made a nice career for himself.

Unbelievable fighter. One of the toughest SOB's I've seen drop the gloves in this era.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Big Klein fan and appreciate what he did here in the short time he was here. No doubt his quick decline was brought on by back issues. His inability to get healthy last year was huge for the team overall

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
Sad to see him retire and hopefully his back was healed enough so that the decision was his and not his body forcing him to quit.

Silver lining is he retired as a Ranger! Nothing but repect for the guy.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Big mistake not trading him last year when he had quite a bit of value. Glad to have the cap space though.

What did Branch Rickey say? Trade a player a year too early rather than a year too late. Elliotte Friedman wrote in the summer of 2015 about teams being interested in Klein but the Rangers liked him. His play dropped and they got nothing for him in a trade.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
What did Branch Rickey say? Trade a player a year too early rather than a year too late. Elliotte Friedman wrote in the summer of 2015 about teams being interested in Klein but the Rangers liked him. His play dropped and they got nothing for him in a trade.

If I re-call correctly, many Rangers fans wanted him gone last year in an attempt to sell high.

Guys like Klein are so easy to do that with because he had a few anomaly seasons with us that just weren't sustainable.

I loved the guy, but you need to be smart with players like that, especially when they are in major demand as RHD.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
If I re-call correctly, many Rangers fans wanted him gone last year in an attempt to sell high.

Guys like Klein are so easy to do that with because he had a few anomaly seasons with us that just weren't sustainable.

I loved the guy, but you need to be smart with players like that, especially when they are in major demand as RHD.

It was probably too late. They tried to trade him last summer. Zipay(I know Zipay)wrote the Rangers tried to trade him but there was no interest.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
The Rangers were still going for it 2 years ago and saw Klein as an important part of their D lineup...that is always the balance, is a player more important to your chances at winning a cup or is it more important to move them when their value is high and potentially take a hit in your lineup in the short term while you use the assets to build things up long term.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Klein came to the 2013-14 Rangers and played a simple game, which totally stabilized the blueline, since AV felt comfortable rolling 3 pairs. He and Moore made one of the better 3rd pairings we've ever seen and it was that as much as anything that propelled us to the Cup Final that year. The next season, with a full training camp under his belt with the team, he was able to take his game to another level.

I liked Klein a lot. Sad to see him go especially this way. Hope he opens the B&B he wants to own.

Baby Duck Homme

Still waiting to catch a puck from Fotiu...
Sep 14, 2005
Jersey City NJ
Anyone think Gorton was waiting for this to become official before getting serious about a trade? Knowing our rxact cap situation would be necessary before we can determine how much salary can be brought in.

On a separate note, I was weary about the MDZ trade. Klein was much better than I expected. Too bad his body broke down. He was an effective player for us when healthy.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Klein did a great job considering how people responded to the original trade for him.

Last year was unfortunate, but Kevin struck me as a guy who works to live rather than lives to work. I expect he has enough saved to live the lifestyle he wants to and wont terribly miss the grind and hotel jumping of an NHL season.

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
I'll eat crow on this one, didn't believe the rumors that he'd walk away from guaranteed millions. Was a class act throughout his time here. He'll certainly be missed.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I knew he was going to retire the moment "he's thinking about it" was out there. Good for him - solid career with marginal talent and a lot of heart.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
I knew he was going to retire the moment "he's thinking about it" was out there. Good for him - solid career with marginal talent and a lot of heart.

I'm still moderately surprised he followed through with it and left money on the table. Respect his decision though.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I'll eat crow on this one, didn't believe the rumors that he'd walk away from guaranteed millions. Was a class act throughout his time here. He'll certainly be missed.
Yeah, I definitely thought it was a ruse because he was worried about getting picked in the expansion draft.

Best wishes, friend!

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I assume a large part of it is that if he wants to continue his career overseas than he has to terminate his NHL contract. Not like he can claim LTIR and then go play in Switzerland or something

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I never understood how people can be so adamant that a rumor isn't true. I mean, be skeptical, sure. But the flat out denial that it was a possibility was mind-boggling to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad