Confirmed with Link: Kevin Klein Has Retired

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Rangers seem to get the most convenient retirements. Wouldn't be surprised if he all of a sudden came into some property or stocks out of nowhere from "someone"

Yeah and then the Rangers would get fined millions, docked a bunch of picks, and the FO would be suspended. Doesn't happen that way.

Other than Naslund, what convenient retirement have we had?

NewLife

Apr 29, 2011
Oslo
Would love to see Klein on the Vikings cast, or around on some content with a badass car you've built. Good luck with the future.

Had huge respect for the guy since Day 1 as a Rangers.

vladmyir111

Mar 27, 2007
Yeah and then the Rangers would get fined millions, docked a bunch of picks, and the FO would be suspended. Doesn't happen that way.

Other than Naslund, what convenient retirement have we had?

Oh come on don't live in fantasy world, you think the NHL is sitting there on the hunt for any shell corporation transferring assets to another one anywhere in the world?

Or maybe we just have classy guys play for us more often than not. Could be why the team is so soft every year.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Oh come on don't live in fantasy world, you think the NHL is sitting there on the hunt for any shell corporation transferring assets to another one anywhere in the world?

Or maybe we just have classy guys play for us more often than not. Could be why the team is so soft every year.

I absolutely believe the NHL makes an attempt to ensure everything is above board and there are no handshake agreements.

As to your second point, I don't know what you're talking about and it completely ignores my question. So, whatever.

vladmyir111

Mar 27, 2007
I absolutely believe the NHL makes an attempt to ensure everything is above board and there are no handshake agreements.

As to your second point, I don't know what you're talking about and it completely ignores my question. So, whatever.

I'm just saying it would be a very hard thing to discover, there are massive government agencies who's full time job it is to find shams like this and they don't exactly succeed all day long.

As to your question Naslund comes to mind and since the 05 lockout I seem to recall a few minor players as well, but I could be wrong. I was merely making an observation that most teams have to go through the LTIR scam. You're acting like most teams even have one guy in the last ten years to leave millions on the table.

Last edited:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
If Klein isn't injured enough to LTIR then I'm not sure he can just say "oh no, I don't want to hurt my back more, so just LTIR me" and have that fly. As I mentioned, if he truly wants to hang up the skates because he worries about his long term health but he can still pass a physical and be out on the ice, his option is to retire and that's it. You can't LTIR a healthy player

vladmyir111

Mar 27, 2007
If Klein isn't injured enough to LTIR then I'm not sure he can just say "oh no, I don't want to hurt my back more, so just LTIR me" and have that fly. As I mentioned, if he truly wants to hang up the skates because he worries about his long term health but he can still pass a physical and be out on the ice, his option is to retire and that's it. You can't LTIR a healthy player

I'm assuming it's mandated that it's an NHL doctor that determines the finality of a career ending LTIR? Not exactly hard to find a doctor to say you have x problem if you're the one hiring them.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I'm assuming it's mandated that it's an NHL doctor that determines the finality of a career ending LTIR? Not exactly hard to find a doctor to say you have x problem if you're the one hiring them.

I don't know the specifics, but the NHL does have a say in a player going on LTIR, because they want to make sure it's being used for the proper reasons/the injury is severe enough to require the use of LTIR, because the cap implications are pretty large.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Sometimes, no matter how much you love the game, you just get tired of being hurt and in pain all the time.

Klein was a pro's pro: professional, dedicated, respected, and hard working. He gave us his all and made us a better team. Just a solid player who got the most out of his abilities.

We carp so much at players who underachieve. It's time to think good thought about a player who overachieved, don't you think?

And it's not just tired of being hurt. These guys have lives after hockey and don't want to do any more damage to their bodies. For all we know had Klein had kept on playing he could've been wheelchair bound by the time he's 50. You hear it with football players abit.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I'm just saying it would be a very hard thing to discover, there are massive government agencies who's full time job it is to find shams like this and they don't exactly succeed all day long.

As to your question Naslund comes to mind and since the 05 lockout I seem to recall a few minor players as well, but I could be wrong. I was merely making an observation that most teams have to go through the LTIR scam. You're acting like most teams even have one guy in the last ten years to leave millions on the table.

It might be tough to discover but the potential penalties outweigh the rewards. If that weren't the case you'd be seeing guys retire leaving money on the table all the time. If it was so easy and so worth it it would happen regularly. But it doesn't.

Naslund is the only player I can think of who retired early and left money on the table in a "convenient" fashion.

I'm not acting like anything. Naslund retired and it helped us. We were lucky. Same for Klein who has real back issues. I don't think there's anything more to it than that. You can speculate all you want but I see no evidence of anything more at play.

vladmyir111

Mar 27, 2007
It might be tough to discover but the potential penalties outweigh the rewards. If that weren't the case you'd be seeing guys retire leaving money on the table all the time. If it was so easy and so worth it it would happen regularly. But it doesn't.

Naslund is the only player I can think of who retired early and left money on the table in a "convenient" fashion.

I'm not acting like anything. Naslund retired and it helped us. We were lucky. Same for Klein who has real back issues. I don't think there's anything more to it than that. You can speculate all you want but I see no evidence of anything more at play.

Nobody suggested there was evidence, you or I would certainly never be a witness to any. I merely brought up the fact that it's a rarity in the NHL and we've had multiple people do it recently. Very convenient for sure.

Though to think there's no chance a multi-million (or billion if you include the parent) dollar corporation wouldn't try to game the system is a tad naive just because there are some risks. It happens all the time across industries. Some get caught and get a slap on the wrist, some go down in flames, and a lot get away with it as well.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Nobody suggested there was evidence, you or I would certainly never be a witness to any. I merely brought up the fact that it's a rarity in the NHL and we've had multiple people do it recently. Very convenient for sure.

Though to think there's no chance a multi-million (or billion if you include the parent) dollar corporation wouldn't try to game the system is a tad naive just because there are some risks. It happens all the time across industries. Some get caught and get a slap on the wrist, some go down in flames, and a lot get away with it as well.

We've had two guys do it in the entire cap era (12 years?) and one of them (Klein) had his game deteriorate greatly due to a back injury.

If it was easy and worth the risk we'd see it all the time. There are plenty of wealthy franchises that could make it happen. Instead, it's extremely rare. Of course it COULD happen but there's like zero evidence of it.

Klein retired because his back is ****ed up. There's nothing more to it than that.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course

Not sure why you think Klein needs to be bribed to quit. And judging from the type of person Klein appears to be, he'd probably be insulted by the suggestion.

Good dude, enjoyed watching him play--wish him well.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Well that's stunning. U have to think he's injured more than let on.

It was just so obvious that there was something wrong with Kevin last year. He was one to be counted on, and he simply didn't play like we always had witnessed.
To me, the first indication was there was little contact with every opportunity he had. There "had to be" a physical issue.
Good luck Kevin, and thanks for your time here in NY. Noticeably better than MDZ.

Also, I have severe back issues, I feel your pain......but aren't as fortunate as I still have to somehow work.....the bills keep coming.

Last edited:

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
He played well for this organization. Won the trade for MDZ. Wish him the best.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
yeah, wish him and his familiy the best and with good memories from earlier playoffs for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad