Confirmed with Link: Kevin Klein Has Retired

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Yeah and then the Rangers would get fined millions, docked a bunch of picks, and the FO would be suspended. Doesn't happen that way.

Other than Naslund, what convenient retirement have we had?

Hossa being allergic to his equipment the moment his salary drops to 1m is something the NHL should look into. Not Klein retiring haha

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Tough. Hard working. He even retired tough. I can't give him enough credit - I'd have played 3rd pair or 7th defenseman for 2.9 million. Class act. Great trade for MDZ.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Hossa being allergic to his equipment the moment his salary drops to 1m is something the NHL should look into. Not Klein retiring haha

I really didn't even think of that regarding Hossa. It does seem like the NHL is looking into it though, which is interesting because I don't remember ever reading anything about the league verifying an injury like that.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
As an aside, he also consistently had the team's most interesting haircut styles.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
Kein signs one year deal in Switzerland.
https://t.co/0we2xdUb6B

as cited numerous times above, this was always expected

this was always part of the rumor from the very first report -
over there, he plays a season about 60% as long as NHL, and on the bigger ice
WAY LESS wear and tear on his beat-up body

the salary is not NHL level, but typically deals with NA players include added perks such as housing and car
a great gig actually, to live in a beautiful global city with your young family and play much lower stress/abuse hockey

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
The Swiss league offers a fantastic quality of life for North American hockey players and their families.

KingWantsCup

#FightLikeHell
Jul 3, 2009
New Jersey
I took a quick look and just saw "kevin" "has" and "retired" and misread this as "Kevin Hayes retired"

In that split second I didn't know how to feel. :laugh:

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
any idea how much he'll make or what the top salaries in the swiss league are?

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
By NHL standards, I guess you're right. But half a million per year? Yeah, he's going to Europe to make money.

He's potentially giving up 5X that by leaving the NHL--in purely economic terms that's not rational. Even if he's already made a bundle. In any case, I think it's great--I'm happy he's made the money he has and I'm happy he can walk away and go do something because he wants to, not because he needs to.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
He's potentially giving up 5X that by leaving the NHL--in purely economic terms that's not rational. Even if he's already made a bundle. In any case, I think it's great--I'm happy he's made the money he has and I'm happy he can walk away and go do something because he wants to, not because he needs to.

this is a point that gets lost whenever salary is discussed -
the point of making money, for most people, is to be able to later be free to make decisions you want to make, without thougths of cost/money holding you back

many posters here think everyone's atitude is (should be) that the only important consideration is making even more money, just make as very much as you can for as long as you can

some people stop counting and look at not just the security their netw worth provides them, but also the opportunities they've made possible for themselves

$500k + home + car in a beautiful world city, still playing pro hockey, but with much less relentless and physical grind (wide ice, shorter season) may not make Klein alot richer, but he wont lose money, he'll have interesting times and hopefully stay healthier and enjoy life after NHL hockey

ZacUSNYR

Mar 16, 2009
Upstate, NY
I've been an avid motorcyclist for a long time. The last few years my body has been reacting to gloves/boots/jacket sleeve. Bought a lot of new gear - still a problem.

I can understand it. Your body changes as you age.

The timing does make it very suspicious. My guess - is it has been a problem for awhile that he has lived with/dealt with and now, the 1M salary gives him incentive to retire.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I've been an avid motorcyclist for a long time. The last few years my body has been reacting to gloves/boots/jacket sleeve. Bought a lot of new gear - still a problem.

I can understand it. Your body changes as you age.

The timing does make it very suspicious. My guess - is it has been a problem for awhile that he has lived with/dealt with and now, the 1M salary gives him incentive to retire.

On top of all this, the Rangers probably made it very clear to Klein that he was going to be stapled to the press box... look at all the players they brought in--you have Shattenkirk, Smith, McDonagh, Skjei, and DeAngelo all on the NHL roster that can play the right side. NYR probably made it very clear he wasn't going to get much playing time--they probably gave him the option of a trade, retirement, or the press box

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
On top of all this, the Rangers probably made it very clear to Klein that he was going to be stapled to the press box... look at all the players they brought in--you have Shattenkirk, Smith, McDonagh, Skjei, and DeAngelo all on the NHL roster that can play the right side. NYR probably made it very clear he wasn't going to get much playing time--they probably gave him the option of a trade, retirement, or the press box

Or maybe it was the other way around--Klein told the team he was probably going to retire during the end of season interviews and the organization planned accordingly. Teams (including the Rangers) generally don't treat their players like trash. And if Klein decided he wanted to/was able to play another year, he would go to training camp and if he could prove it, would either be worked into the lineup or traded. Or he could have retired before the beginning of the season, if things didn't work out the way he wanted it.

Bottom line, the Rangers didn't kick him out--Klein made this decision. Playing in Europe is a win-win--he gets paid to do something he loves (and by the way, as cwede alludes to--will be pampered by the team as well receiving a decent salary) and gets a chance to experience life in a new and different way.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
When Brooks first reported Klein was thinking about retiring I think he also mentioned that the Rangers were thinking of moving on from him anywyas

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad