Confirmed with Link: Kevin Klein Has Retired

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
He gave the Rangers some real quality seasons. Wish him nothing but the best if he is indeed retiring.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
My claim to HF fame.

I'm not ready to believe it, because it doesn't make logical sense to me, but it'd obviously benefit the Rangers on the cap quite a bit here. Even though I really thought we'd be able to get a 3rd or 4th for him at the draft.

Hopefully his back his healed up and this is just sort of him calling it at his own time, too.

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
Klein minus this year was a very, very good pickup. He was a Man you can really slot anywhere in any of the top 3 pairs when there was an injury to one of the top pairing guys. He did it in Nashville and he did it hear. He brought great value and a great teammate. Good luck to Klein with whatever he does.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I'm really confused.

If he was retiring because of injuries, ok I would understand, but he is going to continue his career in Europe?

He is STILL a NHL defenseman in this league. Maybe not a top 4, but certainly capable of playing a regular shift on almost every team.

And he is going to throw away 3 million to get not even a quarter of that in Europe? Something doesn't add up. I really wouldn't be surprised if 31 was right and he is just trying to make sure Vegas doesn't claim him.

Those leagues are a lot less physical and have more room on the ice. Would take less of a toll on him.

He had a "going away" party so I'd bet he's leaning towards being gone.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I'm really confused.

If he was retiring because of injuries, ok I would understand, but he is going to continue his career in Europe?

He is STILL a NHL defenseman in this league. Maybe not a top 4, but certainly capable of playing a regular shift on almost every team.

And he is going to throw away 3 million to get not even a quarter of that in Europe? Something doesn't add up. I really wouldn't be surprised if 31 was right and he is just trying to make sure Vegas doesn't claim him.

You don't know that he's still capable of playing a shift on an NHL team. There's gotta be some worry there, I'm sure.

The game in Europe wouldn't be nearly the stress on his body that a season in the NHL is. The quality of play is lower too, so he can contribute more. This might be more about just a guy who isn't willing to stop contributing to a team and who has already made an enormous sum of money, in reality.

But I don't know. I mean, he had a going away party, but hasn't made a decision? That sounds weird.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm really confused.

Completely agree. This is what I was thinking, although I didn't think of the last part.

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014
Such a likable player, and had his best years as a Ranger. Would take him even at his worst over Girardi.

Have to think it's injury related.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I'm a bit surprised but I had the feeling he was banged up almost the entire year. Backs can be an issue. Steve Larmer retired after a season + and he was a hell of a player and that was a back injury. Adam Graves went from a legit 1st liner to a mediocre player really quickly because of back issues.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Well that's stunning. U have to think he's injured more than let on.

Knowing Klein, i think he was definitely was more injured than we knew. He comes from the same mindset of Girardi. He'll tough it out through anything for the team. As my highschool football coach always said, "There's a difference between being hurt and being injured"... I think whenever we see these guys playing they're most likely banged up, thats just modern professional sports. BUT some guys are willing to draw that line between hurt and injured at different places. These guys always seem to have shorter careers. The "nagging" injuries add up.

If we have seen the last of Kleiner, I'd just like to say he was an amazing player than us. He out played everyone's expectations. I'll miss the most badass viking haircuts and howling like a wolf when he scores

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Sometimes guys have had enough. Lingering and mounting injuries, while maybe not immediately apparent on the ice, can add up and really take a toll on a guy. He has made lots of money in his career and may just want to move onto something less stressful physically. He certainly wouldn't be the first player to retire when he still appeared to have a professional future.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
His back has to be more hurt than people think. even if he plays in Europe, its nowhere as physical of a league.

3M would help quite a bit with a flat cap potentially.. 1M less for Smith, or Halfway towards getting Shattenkirk (6 to 6.5M)

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Wow that's bizarre.

Well I really like him in his time here... he was gritty at times and didn't take ****... scored some huge goals for us also.

Best of luck to him!

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
A lot of you a missing the point he wants to keep playing in Europe. So the injury thing doesn't really make sense.

Yea it's not as physical but it's still a pro league, with strong guys and there is still hitting.

Maybe obviously we can compare the leagues and say NHL is better and less hitting in Europe... What if it isn't a hockey related move? Frankly he has enough money. If he wants to live in europe or grow his family(im not sure of his family situation) there, why not go there? And clearly he loves hockey, so he can play a less physically stressful game there to keep the love going

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Could still collect a nice paycheck by going over to to the Swiss league or something. Easier schedule, less physical, and he can enjoy some time living abroad while his family is still youngish. He did play a handful of games in Denmark during the lockout.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Does he want to play in Europe for the lighter schedule and less grueling play?

In either case, Klein was a wonderful Ranger. Sucks to see him end on such a tough season, but he's contributions left a mark.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
That was unexpected!

Assuming the NY Post is correct with this leak, very surprised Klein is willing to do that. Very uncommon in todays NHL. He's never really received the big payday, at least by NHL standards. So for him to leave a year on the table at $2,75,000 is a bit of a shocker.

Assuming he gets 26 pay periods per year, he's leaving $105,769.23 per PP on the table. As JD would say...That's a lot of Fischnagles!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad