Confirmed with Link: Kevin Klein Has Retired

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
This is one of the most out of touch posts I ever recall reading on here. The vast, vast majority of people will never even sniff a balance like that even after working their entire lives. What percentage of 401k plans have even a 10th of that amount in them?

Not many at all--found this (date June 7th 2017)

A 2015 Government Accountability Office study found that show that 29% of Americans 55 and older don’t have any retirement nest egg or even a traditional pension plan. Those who do have retirement funds don't have enough money: 55 to 64-year-olds have an average of $104,000 and those 65 to 74 have $148,000 in savings. If that money were turned into a lifetime annuity, it would only amount to $310 and $649 respectively per month

Obviously, a NHL player who's played (exactly!) 700 games is in a completely different category than most of us. Kevin Klein is 32 years old--I'm sure he's been smart with his money and that even after he retires he'll be able to earn a decent living in a second career

Klein actually has a wonderful opportunity right now--he can pick exactly what he wants to do next and not worry about whether he can live comfortably on what he earns going forward. And there's more to his life than NHL hockey...found this in an article from 2014!

Off the ice, you'll find him practicing yoga, reading, driving a Tesla (an electric sports car) and musing that after retiring, he would like to run an eco-friendly bed-and-breakfast in Canada.

The kids are young, there's money in the bank...Go for it!

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/personal-finance/010616/whats-average-401k-balance-age.asp

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/rangers/the-emergence-of-the-rangers-kevin-klein-1.9705084

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I'm not even sure how much money he's really giving up. I mean, if the less physical play and shorter seasons means he can play 5 more years making $500k per, it means he will take home around the same amount of money without the risk of harming his long-term quality of life.
So he's too beaten up to play one more season here, but not 5 over there?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

There's more to Europe than just playing hockey. I was born in the Netherlands but moved to South Africa 10 years ago, because I wanted to see the world. Klein might want to move to Europe for the same reason. His kids are at a young enough age where it isn't a problem, his wife's decision and wishes will have something to do with it as well.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009

Relatively small, soft players like Nedved, Rucinsky, Straka, all who were done in the NHL in their late 30's played until like 45 in the czech league. It's completely different hockey, especially for a guy like Klein who could settle in quite comfortably.

Czech teams have very small budgets however. He'd be getting only around 400-500k euros a year.

If he is leaning towards retirement with so much money on the table, he probably has a lot of it saved up and well-invested. Lots of pro players buy secondhand cars, modest homes, ect. The smart ones know one injury can end a career.

RangerFan10

Makes you really wonder why G or Staal don't take the high road also.

They seen Naslund and now Klein do this

They aren't stupid... every news paper article or coverage on Rangers has been about getting rid of these two guys . Why would you wanna stick around in this kind of environment, (obviously for the money lol ) but they must know that they are done
Not really the same situations. Or injuries.

And Naslund was 36.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers love the 10AM press releases. Ever since Gorton became GM,10AM is press release time. Too bad the Rangers could not have acquired other assets for him. Cap space is an asset.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
GOAT picture we've had:
iOGCMgF

Gonna miss ya Kleiner. Dude had part of his ****ing ear come off and was out there a shift later after stitches. Absolute boss.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
I expected to hate him but wound up liking him a bit.

He looked so off this year, his back must be really ****ed up.

Nice to have the space, hope the best for him

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Wondering if he will be on LTIR and get paid or what the deal is? No reason for him to just walk away from his salary this season which is 2,75 million

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Bummer, Klein was really solid here.

The thing that frustrates me: did we ever officially get an explanation of what happened to him? He was a rock as recently as last season, then has a mysterious injury, has a terrible year and boom, retires. I feel like we're the only team this **** happens to - he's 32 years old.

Not to rant, but I feel like the absurdity of this entire situation is lost because we're all pretty happy to have that extra cap space and opening on defense. Just weird, apologies if I missed some big announcement on what happened to him.

Farewell Kleiner!

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
What everyone else has said. Great Ranger. Didn't know much about him when he arrived, but he turned out to be a fantastic player for us.

His back clearly affected his play last year. Hope he goes on to a productive, injury-free life in whatever he does next.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Solid defense man who thankfully knows when to hang them up.

Seems like a great guy to hang out with and pretty smart as well.

Hope he will be retained in some sort of position with the org, but I feel like he might do something with the Preds

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Pretty sure Klein is about to rent a bus, and raise his family in the forest, Captain Fantastic style.

Guy gave us 2.5 solid-enough years before his back gave out this season. Nothing but respect for a guy who can walk away from the money like that.

Thanks for being my HF claim to fame, KK.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad