Rumor: Kevin Hayes not signing with Hawks

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
well Kayes will be representing the US at the World Championships along with his brother Jimmy and college teammate John Gaudreau. Should be interesting to see what type of role he gets offensively as this kid is going to have a lot of people looking at him during this tournament. great showcase for him....also pretty odd that Stan is a part of the committee that helps pick this team so who knows what is going on.

Jacob Trouba, Seth Jones, Jake Gardiner, Craig Smith, Peter Mueller, Drew Shore, Jeff Petry, Matt Donovan, Brock Nelson, Vince Trocheck, etc have all been named to this squad so far for those that do not follow it.

SLarmer28*

When will you realize everything you bring up about 2012 is completely irrelevant these days...Q doesn't completely control the roster he's given and Bowman has learned his lesson not to kill his team's transition game with old players. Not sure why you continuously bring this up day after day
to quote a previous passage from another poster:

....and yet there is Handzus.... I'm not sure that he has learned completely.

Handzus ... yes

Pirri ... nope
Regin ... nope
Teravainen ... nope

Just a trivial matter in calendar year 2014 for the Chicago Blackhawks:

Handzus - 34 games played, -4 plus/minus
Regin - 17 games played, +5 plus/minus

Handzus (for the 2013-14 NHL Season) - 49.6% faceoffs
Regin (with Chicago) - 55.3% faceoffs

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
well Kayes will be representing the US at the World Championships along with his brother Jimmy and college teammate John Gaudreau. Should be interesting to see what type of role he gets offensively as this kid is going to have a lot of people looking at him during this tournament. great showcase for him....also pretty odd that Stan is a part of the committee that helps pick this team so who knows what is going on.

Jacob Trouba, Seth Jones, Jake Gardiner, Craig Smith, Peter Mueller, Drew Shore, Jeff Petry, Matt Donovan, Brock Nelson, Vince Trocheck, etc have all been named to this squad so far for those that do not follow it.

These Hawks prospects that are taking shots at management on twitter are fools. Stan did them a favor sending them to an NHL team that would give them immediate ice time. He didn't have to do that. They could still be in Rockford. Matter of fact I feel Stan made the right choice ridding these kids from the organization if that's their true character. Lets go troll an organization that has won two stanley cups in four years while we get relegated to a bottom-feeder team that has yet another top three pick.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Which Chicago Blackhawks moron made an ill-advised pinch in overtime of Game 4 and which Chicago Blackhawks forward attempted a lame back check in overtime of Game 4 against the Phoenix Coyotes?
Kruger and Leddy carry a huge workload and 3 very unproven players in Shaw, Saad, and Bollig see the ice in that series too.

I'm not sure what the point is about 2012. He gave some old guys that he likes minutes but he also scratched or cut their ice time for rookies and relatively unproven players. Bowman missed on some FA signings, but he hit big on the young players he drafted and/or brought up that year too. I don't see any pattern established other than Q will use what he likes that day whether they're green, grizzled, speedy, slow, big, finesse, Stan guys, Q guys, smart, or Carcillo.

Also to mention about the washed up vets is that if they ARE NOT washed up vets, they get inflated multiyear contracts instead of the one year jobs the Hawks have been able to quickly get away from. Turco sucked, Emery was awesome, O'donnell sucked, Roszival was awesome, etc. These acquisitions are just shots in the dark, and most gms are going to hit and miss at about the same rate given a large enough sample size.

Expect a couple of them every year, and expect prospects/young players to make huge mistakes like a Krug pass to Shaw or a Brendan Smith implosion by his net late in a big game. Further to my point about the aged, declining vets that hurt the eyes, is that O'Donnell and the other slow guy got beat on a play instead of just handing over a scoring chance. I don't like them but I think the alternatives can be worse.

SLarmer28*

Also to mention about the washed up vets is that if they ARE NOT washed up vets, they get inflated multiyear contracts instead of the one year jobs the Hawks have been able to quickly get away from.
2011-12 NHL Season:

Brunette - one year contract
O'Donnell - one year contract
Mayers - one year contract
Morrison - one year contract

Turco sucked, Emery was awesome, O'donnell sucked, Roszival was awesome, etc. These acquisitions are just shots in the dark, and most gms are going to hit and miss at about the same rate given a large enough sample size.
Crawford and Emery both sucked during the 2011-12 NHL Season.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/CHI/2012.html

Further to my point about the aged, declining vets that hurt the eyes, is that O'Donnell and the other slow guy got beat on a play instead of just handing over a scoring chance. I don't like them but I think the alternatives can be worse.
Peter Regin is an alternative to Michal Handzus and at least Peter Regin is able to skate in April, 2014. Expecting to catch lightening in a bottle two years in a row with Michal Handzus is nothing more than blind faith. I also question whether Father Time has caught up with Michal Rozsival.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
2011-12 NHL Season:

Crawford and Emery both sucked during the 2011-12 NHL Season.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/CHI/2012.html

Peter Regin is an alternative to Michal Handzus and at least Peter Regin is able to skate in April, 2014. Expecting to catch lightening in a bottle two years in a row with Michal Handzus is nothing more than blind faith. I also question whether Father Time has caught up with Michal Rozsival.

There were a lot of people that believed Chicago won that offseason. It didn't work out as planned but that happens

SLarmer28*

There were a lot of people that believed Chicago won that offseason. It didn't work out as planned but that happens
You can blame Dale Tallon for some remarkably bad draft selections especially in the second round from 2005-07 (six in total) and one of the worst first round draft picks in the salary cap era (Kyle Beach). Jack Skille was no first round gem either, another Dale Tallon special, but at least Stan Bowman was able to essentially flip Skille for Frolik. You can also blame Dale Tallon for one of the worst contracts doled out in the salary cap era: Cristobal Huet (the chump never won a playoff series in his career)

rick hawk

Apr 9, 2004
So " Kevin Hayes not signing with Hawks"becomes another reason for someone to bash Tallon????

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago
I think it's too early to hammer him until we know with more certainty what his intentions are, but if he is indeed going to contradict himself to chase money or what he perceives to be a better fit for him, fans have reason to go after him with comments. He chose to speak up and that has consequences.

He's going to be a professional hockey player, and I agree it is a business. Fan and media scrutiny go with that business too. He made his bed when he chose to state or directly imply his intentions. Now we wait.

Good post. My previous post saying not to bash the kid IF he signs elsewhere was my opinion and not meant to be a command.

The way I look at it is this. Say I hire a kid as a summer intern at the company I work at (best in the industry) for 4 years of college. I train him, invest in him, etc. We tell him early in college we really like him and would like him to work for us after college if he continues working hard and improving. He says graduation is a long way away but he'd love to work for us someday. I offer him a full time job his senior year. He says he will probably take it but asks for time to consider. He comes back to me and says a new upstart company in the industry is offering him 10x the guaranteed pay plus more responsibility and better opportunities to be promoted.

I would expect the kid to take the other job.

SLarmer28*

So " Kevin Hayes not signing with Hawks"becomes another reason for someone to bash Tallon????
His brother Jimmy plays for the Florida Panthers.

Dale Tallon is the General Manager of the Florida Panthers.

Connecting the dots, Dale Tallon is guilty by association. ;)

Unless you want to blame Country Club Q and his legion of pets:

Michal Handzus
Sheldon Brookbank (emergency right winger extraordinaire)
Brandon Bollig (everyone's favorite Blackhawk to bash)

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
I like Kays but can understand his frustration....

I think Bowman should sign him, then promise him if he doesn't make the final roster he will deal him.

Without question there are plenty of teams he would make and if the Hawks weren't so deep he would be playing in the NHL.

However at the same time tho we could just deal him before the draft (a sign and trade) for a 2nd (which would have been our compensation) if the Hawks really liked a player in the 2nd round. I know we don't have a 2nd round pick in this draft.

Two huge problems with this:

(1) Why does Kayes do this? Hw would have zero control over where he ends up. Better to go UFA and pick his team.

(2) If another team knows Kayes wants to play for them, they will wait and get him for nothing. NO one will trade for him unless he is signed ahead of time. At that stage, they already know he wants to go there, so why give up a 2nd?

A comment too. Kayes is not certain to make the NHL next year. He's not an elite project. He was a senior in college and was propped up by Gudreau who carried that line.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
Kevin Hayes

He put up some nice #'s this year, but if he doesn't use his size in the NHL, he probably won't amount to anything-----just like his brother. In a system that doesn't reward crashers and bangers, but finesse and skill, he should jump at the opportunity to play for the Hawks. But, as someone else said, a 54th pick wouldn't be the end of the world for a guy that may never play more than a 3rd or 4th line role. Let's dangle himi to Dale for their first 2nd round pick overall so the brother's can play together.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
All low risk gambles, that was what I was saying. Pretty inconsequential in the big picture. Emery was a gamble too, twice. I should have mentioned him twice as an example of these low risk players working out or failing. Q uses them sometimes and scratches them, I struggle to find anything to conclude that Q heavily favors washed up vets.
Peter Regin is an alternative to Michal Handzus and at least Peter Regin is able to skate in April, 2014. Expecting to catch lightening in a bottle two years in a row with Michal Handzus is nothing more than blind faith.
I think that's a perfectly good opinion to have. What I don't see is why one would think Q would pick Handzus over Regin just based on a preference or history. Handzus still is much better than Regin in some areas and vice versa so I think it has to do with the mix Q wants as opposed to loyalty or something along those lines. Q's playoff record is pretty solid so even if it is a fetish thing to have grizzly old and bad on the ice, I'm not sure it's a fault anyway. He's 46-29 in the postseason the last 5 years.
My previous post saying not to bash the kid IF he signs elsewhere was my opinion and not meant to be a command.
I wasn't taking it that way. I'm not sure if I was correct or not but I took it as your post just taking the KHayes side of the business perspective which I agree with btw. I was just looking to get the other side's perspective out there too.

Any more tweets or media comments on KHayes out there the last day or two? I haven't looked for them.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Q's LEGION OF PETS...I like it...the name is bang on..the players in this group of either had it but lost it or never even had it...them I do not like.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
But of course young guys make mistakes that cost goals at times..but if they contribute offensively to offset the mistake you can.live with it..But even if the nothing left in the Tank vets never make mistakes except of course not having enough speed to.play the game anymore...which is not seen as a mistake by the player..but rather a coaching mistake for playing the washed up vet...even if the washed.up vet does not make costly turnover..if.he is no difference-maker and fails to create offense and is too slow together into back-checking efficiency. .then what good is such a "mistake-free" pdt if Hastings playing the rulemaking absolutely no positive difference? Of course if the kids can't check..that may not be a mental mistake but merely lazy lolliggaging. ..not hustling and not.playing hard..if they are Country Clubbing with short-cuts..that is not only applicable to yutes but to plenty of vets..whether they are wasked -up or not..

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
But of course young guys make mistakes that cost goals at times..but if they contribute offensively to offset the mistake you can.live with it..But even if the nothing left in the Tank vets never make mistakes except of course not having enough speed to.play the game anymore...which is not seen as a mistake by the player..but rather a coaching mistake for playing the washed up vet...even if the washed.up vet does not make costly turnover..if.he is no difference-maker and fails to create offense and is too slow together into back-checking efficiency. .then what good is such a "mistake-free" pdt if Hastings playing the rulemaking absolutely no positive difference? Of course if the kids can't check..that may not be a mental mistake but merely lazy lolliggaging. ..not hustling and not.playing hard..if they are Country Clubbing with short-cuts..that is not only applicable to yutes but to plenty of vets..whether they are wasked -up or not..

Why. Don't. People. Get it.

Seriously.

The Chicago Blackhawks don't have any problems scoring goals. They're as talented an offensive team as their is in the NHL. That's not up for argument, it's a fact. Therefore, if your a young player trying to crack the roster, what else are you going to bring when you're not scoring? If that answer to that question is nothing, then what are you doing here?

Bad teams can live with mistakes and poor defensive play because there isn't a bar that's been set. Their team doesn't have expectations of making the playoffs, let alone contending for the Cup.

You want to know the new bar for Chicago Blackhawks prospects? Brandon Saad.

If you want to make this team as a young player, you better be well-rounded. If you're not, you won't be getting much responsibility from Q. And that's really the best word to describe what Q does; he doesn't give guys ice-time, he gives them responsibility. If you can't trust a player to make the right play, at the right time, you're not going to give him the responsibility of more ice-time.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

Seriously.

The Chicago Blackhawks don't have any problems scoring goals. They're as talented an offensive team as their is in the NHL. That's not up for argument, it's a fact. Therefore, if your a young player trying to crack the roster, what else are you going to bring when you're not scoring? If that answer to that question is nothing, then what are you doing here?

Bad teams can live with mistakes and poor defensive play because there isn't a bar that's been set. Their team doesn't have expectations of making the playoffs, let alone contending for the Cup.

If you want to make this team as a young player, you better be well-rounded. If you're not, you won't be getting much responsibility from Q. And that's really the best word to describe what Q does; he doesn't give guys ice-time, he gives them responsibility. If you can't trust a player to make the right play, at the right time, you're not going to give him the responsibility of more ice-time.

Fantastic post

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

Seriously.

"Q" the Handzus posts in 3,2,1...

SLarmer28*

You can climb down from your Handzus soap box:

Handzus - 34 games played, -4 plus/minus
Regin - 17 games played, +5 plus/minus

Handzus (2013-14 NHL Season) - 49.6% faceoffs
Regin (with Chicago) - 55.3% faceoffs

The statistics speak for themselves.

McDooRoo

Feb 24, 2013
Wyoming
It's funny to me to see all these NHL coaches on this board that are better coaches than Q yet they're not coaching in the NHL. Must just be dumb luck that they're not in the NHL coaching.

Q is a two time Stanley Cup winning coach I'm pretty sure he knows what he's doing as for lineups. Pirri, Hayes, Kayes, they're not good enough to make the Hawks it's that simple. They can ***** and whine, but at the end of the day it's still up to them to get themselves good enough to make the team.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
The entire yutes make mistakes argument is totally ferkahked. .see Tombs Hertl and his contribution last night..see Schwartz and Terasenkos making miseries of our vaunted vets.and with huge contributions..so other teams's yutes get lauded bit our yutes can't be trusted? OR is it that they are overhyped? Where the hell has Saad been since February started? Deservhing of being benches till he proves he can make positivebimpact! But if our vaunted Vets like Toews and Hossa also make big mistakes the hype dept. Houses it up..Point is vet or yutes..it does not matter..You gotta Want to play better than your opponents..Want is not owned only by vets.. The problems of our yutes last night...except for no show Said..was not so much errors of commission..but rather errors of omission in that we fide not get any Hertl,Terasenkos or Schwartz -like young gun impacts on the scoresheet..but then may of of top vets also Failed in that dept. Yutes or vet..doesn't matter...ee need much better positive contribution..Now maybe Q played the wrong lines and wrong lineup? That is the bigger issue.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
It's funny to me to see all these NHL coaches on this board that are better coaches than Q yet they're not coaching in the NHL. Must just be dumb luck that they're not in the NHL coaching.

Q is a two time Stanley Cup winning coach I'm pretty sure he knows what he's doing as for lineups. Pirri, Hayes, Kayes, they're not good enough to make the Hawks it's that simple. They can ***** and whine, but at the end of the day it's still up to them to get themselves good enough to make the team.

I agree with most of this...except the Kayes part. We don't know how Q would handle him since he's never been signed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad