Rumor: Kevin Hayes not signing with Hawks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
That's definitely a twist. As others have said, from his and his agent's point of view, it's not a bad move to consider.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Maybe Calgary will want to reunite him with Gaudreau and Arnold.

EDIT:

Per Guy Flaming (@TPS_Guy): Paraphrasing @CHN_AdamWodon here but "friction" stemming from the Hawks trading Jimmy Hayes. It's Adam's story though

Last edited:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
That's strange because Kayes was quoted as saying there wasn't any hard feeling about his brother being traded. He understands this is a business.

Not that mad about him not wanting to sign here. It would have been really hard for him to get ice time.

We barely have room for smith and morin

Nothingman*

I understand his feelings. But it is on his brother to nut up and the org is not going to be held ransom by a college prospect.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
The Rundblad trade makes a bit more sense now. If Stan had an inclination that Hayes might not sign and he knew he would get a 2nd round pick compensation

zytz

lumberjack
Jul 25, 2011
Any chance Stan can do better than 54th overall by trading his rights at the draft?

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Maybe Calgary will want to reunite him with Gaudreau and Arnold.

EDIT:

Per Guy Flaming (@TPS_Guy): Paraphrasing @CHN_AdamWodon here but "friction" stemming from the Hawks trading Jimmy Hayes. It's Adam's story though

Is there really a man on this earth named Guy Flaming? Wow

w00d

Remember the Roar
Oct 14, 2011
Chicago Stadium
It's pretty simple: ask Hayes which team he intends to sign with, and try to trade him there at the draft. The most likely choice is Boston (hometown), followed by either Calgary (where his BC buddies just signed) or Florida (play w/ bro). If a trade doesn't happen, then you take your automatic 2015 2nd rounder. It would be even better if they could convince him to do a sign & trade, but that probably won't happen.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I buy that he may not sign, but I don't buy that it has anything to do with his brother being traded. Smells like agent-spin, to me.

Periwinkle

Apr 3, 2014
That's strange because Kayes was quoted as saying there wasn't any hard feeling about his brother being traded. He understands this is a business.

Then again it's one of those things you have to say or you will look unprofessional in critising your own organisation.

I don't really know much about this player other than seeing bits about the great season his line had. He certainly seems to have some bargaining power now.

Weird that some people on Twitter (I know, it's Twitter) are acting like he's betraying the Hawks or something. Just like Hawks would not have hesitated to not sign him if his performance was not up to par/to trade him, why should he hesitate to look out for his best interests (whether signing with another team with more chances at NHL ice time or pushing for more money). It's all business.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
It's pretty simple: ask Hayes which team he intends to sign with, and try to trade him there at the draft. The most likely choice is Boston (hometown), followed by either Calgary (where his BC buddies just signed) or Florida (play w/ bro). If a trade doesn't happen, then you take your automatic 2015 2nd rounder. It would be even better if they could convince him to do a sign & trade, but that probably won't happen.

Why would a team that he wants to sign with trade us anything better than a 54th overall when they can just sign him for free?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Felt this was worth its own thread ,,, Sucks to see this happen

I liked him as prospect and was hopeful he would join organization. The ESPN interview has me a little pissed about this though as he simply lied about his intentions

I hope he fails as a player like Billy Sweatt ,, But that is just my view on this

Oh well ,, At least the Hawks get 2015 2nd to somewhat take sting off this

The Rundblad trade makes a bit more sense now. If Stan had an inclination that Hayes might not sign and he knew he would get a 2nd round pick compensation

There is nothing about that trade that makes sense from Hawks POV

It was simply Bowman having a Kenny Williams moment (Guy he loved finally available so he jumped on it)

Nothingman*

He also said in there he hoped to join the Hawks soon. I guess we will find out over time if he chooses to sign. Like I said......I won't be disappointed. And I hope the same as BWC with his career.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
If he walks I won't be very surprised. I don't blame him either. He probably looks at the team and has visions of being trapped in Rockford forever. On top of that, I wouldn't be surprised if his brother had negative things to say about Q.

Hayes would have better bargaining power if he were a UFA. Schultz's contract terms (salary + bonuses) is the same that first overall draft picks receive.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
If he walks I won't be very surprised. I don't blame him either. He probably looks at the team and has visions of being trapped in Rockford forever. On top of that, I wouldn't be surprised if his brother had negative things to say about Q.

Hayes would have better bargaining power if he were a UFA. Schultz's contract terms (salary + bonuses) is the same that first overall draft picks receive.

What exactly would he say? That Q guy makes you play defense and doesn't gift you icetime!

Hayes had chance to solidify a role with Hawks this year and faltered ,, I liked him but he never stood out with Hawks at NHL level

zac

Apr 29, 2009
What exactly would he say? That Q guy makes you play defense and doesn't gift you icetime!

Hayes had chance to solidify a role with Hawks this year and faltered ,, I liked him but he never stood out with Hawks at NHL level

That Q makes simply makes **** up when it comes to his justifications for not playing players. Often the said players shortcomings are no worse than they players that are played in favor of that person so that's what makes it even more baffling. If Q pulled this crap with a less talented roster he'd be Cupless and out of here by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille