Rumor: Kevin Hayes not signing with Hawks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I'm sure it was tongue in cheek. Easy killer. For somebody who constantly complained about people going on about Pirri when he does well you don't hesitate to discredit him given half a chance.

Ya whatever, Pirri can go play on a basement team and do well, I could care less. Don't miss him one bit.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
It wouldn't surprise me if they were a big part of why he might not sign here. And I'm not saying because anyone's pissed (though that is possible too). It's just opportunity. Those guys making NHL paychecks on a bad team is far better for them than making Rockford paychecks in the Cup champion's system. Kayes is going to know he faces the same hurdles if he signs here.

What the Hawks can get from this is it's probably not wise to sign or trade for one of your better prospects' siblings. That's no different than why many employers don't want to hire their employees relatives in the normal/real working working. Also it's an extra risk you take when you sign NCAA players as opposed to CHL players.

CHL players can refuse to sign too. It's absolutely no different. The only difference is that they re-enter the draft as a 20-year-old, as long as they're not an over-ager.

http://proicehockey.about.com/od/prospects/a/How-The-Nhl-Draft-Works.htm

A player not signed by his NHL team within two years of being drafted can re-enter the draft, as long as he is 20 years old or younger at the time of the subsequent draft. Players over 20 become unrestricted free agents.

It's not a lesson in not drafting NCAA players.. all the Hawks can do is treat their draft picks well and hope no one puts any ideas in their heads about going somewhere else.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
CHL players can refuse to sign too. It's absolutely no different. The only difference is that they re-enter the draft as a 20-year-old, as long as they're not an over-ager.

http://proicehockey.about.com/od/prospects/a/How-The-Nhl-Draft-Works.htm

It's not a lesson in not drafting NCAA players.. all the Hawks can do is treat their draft picks well and hope no one puts any ideas in their heads about going somewhere else.

It just seems to always happened with NCAA players. At least from what I've noticed.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Well he is friends with Pirri and his brother was traded after failing in Chicago as well

There is a lot of benefit to playing in Florida together ,,, Get NHL salary while knowing that your schedule from mid April thru June is free of any hockey distractions

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
It wouldn't surprise me if they were a big part of why he might not sign here. And I'm not saying because anyone's pissed (though that is possible too). It's just opportunity. Those guys making NHL paychecks on a bad team is far better for them than making Rockford paychecks in the Cup champion's system. Kayes is going to know he faces the same hurdles if he signs here.

What the Hawks can get from this is it's probably not wise to sign or trade for one of your better prospects' siblings. That's no different than why many employers don't want to hire their employees relatives in the normal/real working working. Also it's an extra risk you take when you sign NCAA players as opposed to CHL players.

This is what a lot of people are forgetting and/or don't realize. And ones who say "oh he should just be grateful to be in that position and have the opportunity" aren't thinking in reality. If you're in his shoes, a 22 year old kid, you know damn well making $800,000+ immediately as opposed to $70,000 is a huge thing to consider, and honestly, I don't blame him for a second. That's not to say there isn't some educated, calculated risk in taking a paycut for a season or two for a chance to be on a contending roster, but, I certainly understand where he's at. I'm disappointed as a Hawks fan as I'd like to have him aboard, but I don't blame him at all for at least considering his options, and lord knows his agent feels the same way and is telling him the same thing.

BronYrAur

Nov 29, 2011
This is what a lot of people are forgetting and/or don't realize. And ones who say "oh he should just be grateful to be in that position and have the opportunity" aren't thinking in reality. If you're in his shoes, a 22 year old kid, you know damn well making $800,000+ immediately as opposed to $70,000 is a huge thing to consider, and honestly, I don't blame him for a second. That's not to say there isn't some educated, calculated risk in taking a paycut for a season or two for a chance to be on a contending roster, but, I certainly understand where he's at. I'm disappointed as a Hawks fan as I'd like to have him aboard, but I don't blame him at all for at least considering his options, and lord knows his agent feels the same way and is telling him the same thing.

Thank you.

The "we want guys with character who want to win" crowd is hilarious. If they had the choice they would do the same thing and jump for the chance to make a million dollars on a ****** team.

Fans like to think that these guys they cheer for should be these beacons of altruistic virtues, playing to WIN and with CHARACTER. Realistically, you take your chance to make the payday and help set yourself for life with a few million bucks because you don't know how long your chance will be to play in the NHL.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Players can talk to players. There is nothing wrong with that.
Actually, they can't. That's called tampering.

But whatever, it was early on a Monday morning that I read it. Those 2 can go to their Cubs game and then bask in the Sun next winter on their terrible team.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Thank you.

The "we want guys with character who want to win" crowd is hilarious. If they had the choice they would do the same thing and jump for the chance to make a million dollars on a ****** team.

Fans like to think that these guys they cheer for should be these beacons of altruistic virtues, playing to WIN and with CHARACTER. Realistically, you take your chance to make the payday and help set yourself for life with a few million bucks because you don't know how long your chance will be to play in the NHL.

Don't get me wrong, there is something to be said for character and wanting to win, you need those things and want those kind of players, but it's also a business (for all involved; the teams and the players). I have no reason to doubt that Kevin Hayes will be a player of good character, good teammate, and want to win, he just may choose to do it somewhere where he's more assured of being with the NHL club and I don't fault him for that at all. It's not a lack of character for a guy to want to contribute to an NHL team, albeit a lesser one, and want to make the NHL salary also.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Players can talk to players. There is nothing wrong with that.

Pirri knows he's trolling Chicago by talking about this over twitter. He can easily ask Hayes on a text message if he wants to go to see a team that will lose 100 games this year. He knows exactly what he's doing. And I don't miss the guy one bit. I always got the sense Q disliked him for a reason....I don't know exactly what that reason may be, but he looks like a moron trolling Hawks fans on twitter knowing the situation.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

But whatever, it was early on a Monday morning that I read it. Those 2 can go to their Cubs game and then bask in the Sun next winter on their terrible team.

Unless Florida management actively encouraged Pirri to tap up Kayes I don't think it's tampering.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Players are allowed to talk to each other ,, If this was any member of Panthers coaching/management talking to Hayes then Hawks would be able to file a tampering claim

As for Pirri ,, He is simply bitter that he wasn't good enough to become a regular part of what is the NHL's finest organization

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
That last bit is total conjecture/speculation on your part that's really not fair. He's a kid making a tongue in cheek comment about a past supervisor he didn't get along with.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
That last bit is total conjecture/speculation on your part that's really not fair. He's a kid making a tongue in cheek comment about a past supervisor he didn't get along with.

Probably

But usually when guys go away they don't act like this

You don't see Jimmy Hayes or Dylan Olsen complaining and taking shots like that

Either way Pirri wont be a C in Florida in longrun and the Hawks wing depth flipping him to wing role not viable

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Probably

Either way Pirri wont be a C in Florida in longrun and the Hawks wing depth flipping him to wing role not viable

Taking shots like that? He said lets go to a Cubs game this year and made a flippant comment about not tampering.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Taking shots like that? He said lets go to a Cubs game this year and made a flippant comment about not tampering.

So what are his intentions by contacting him on twitter about going to a cubs game? Do you think he couldn't do it privately via phone? He knows exactly what he's doing. Fact of the matter is in a situation like this he should steer clear of trolling and making comments about tampering. It's showing up Chicago's management in my opinion.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
I think it was said best above. What he did was fine and/or legal, but it was trolling. I don't think he was trolling Hawk fans. I think he was trolling Hawks management. Anyway, who cares about Pirri.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I can't believe people are making so much about Pirri's tweets. Who cares?

I'm sure they're happier on a bad NHL team than they would be on an AHL team

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Probably

Actually Dylan Olsen did have a tweet about it a day ago, but it's since been deleted. Something to the effect of: "UFA? Wanna go see a Marlins game this summer?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad