Rumor: Kevin Hayes not signing with Hawks

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLarmer28*

I would rather have the 54th pick in the 2015 NHL Draft than a player arrive from the collegiate ranks with a sense of entitlement.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
I would rather have the 54th pick in the 2015 NHL Draft than a player arrive from the collegiate ranks with a sense of entitlement.

He doesn't have a sense of entitlement, he HAS entitlement. Entitlement that comes from being unsigned and coming off a big season. He is entitled to test the market and make the best deal possible for HIMSELF. He doesn't owe the Hawks a thing.

Let's see, 6-800K in Ft. Lauderdale or 75K in Rockford.:shakehead

LarmerSavardSecord

Jun 12, 2010
Wicker Park
What's Kayes trade value even if signed? He's progressed about as expected; he's not going to be a late-1st gem but he looks like a decent NHL-er. Teams won't give up a first for a player with that profile. They want the lottery ticket.

I'd rather see him sign with the hawks so they can see what they have at the pro level. But getting a 2nd rd pick for him with the logjam at both pro levels is not a problem at all.

The hawks prospect pool is ranked high mostly on depth, but they have very few opening on pro level. so the herd needs to be culled and turned into more picks.

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
If I was in Hayes' shoes, I'd sign somewhere else where I'd get a shot to make more of an immediate impact, and more importantly, more money.

That said, we still don't know for sure what he's going to do. I won't hold it against him if he signs somewhere else, but I hope that he does eventually become a Hawk.

But he does still have to prove that he belongs in the NHL.

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago
He doesn't have a sense of entitlement, he HAS entitlement. Entitlement that comes from being unsigned and coming off a big season. He is entitled to test the market and make the best deal possible for HIMSELF. He doesn't owe the Hawks a thing.

Spot on post, MM. Hawks were entitled to bury/buy-out Heut and Olez just like KHayes is entitled to explore free agency. It's not always pretty. If fans don't like that petition to change the CBA, don't attack a kid playing within the rules.

This league is based on contracts like any business. All of this emotional sentiment gets annoying. Like you said MM, let the kid make some money that will set him and his family up for the rest of his life.

That all being said, I still hope the Hawks are in the running to get him.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Spot on post, MM. Hawks were entitled to bury/buy-out Heut and Olez just like KHayes is entitled to explore free agency. It's not always pretty. If fans don't like that petition to change the CBA, don't attack a kid playing within the rules.

This league is based on contracts like any business. All of this emotional sentiment gets annoying. Like you said MM, let the kid make some money that will set him and his family up for the rest of his life.

So do I. But if he goes elsewhere, I hope he maxes out his contract like Schultz did...and then becomes the league's next star.

Like i've said in this thread and elsewhere - if he moves on from the Hawks I'll 100% understand and wish nothing but good things for him.

Edit - just to build on the comments others have made re the salary differential b/w the NHL and AHL ... also keep in mind that a player's pension is also impacted by that sort of stuff.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I don't really care about Hayes. If he goes we get a pick and if he signs we get a solid prospect. I think Bowman made the wrong pick now in hindsight. It was his first draft so I give him the benefit of it but well

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
I like Kays but can understand his frustration....

I think Bowman should sign him, then promise him if he doesn't make the final roster he will deal him.

Without question there are plenty of teams he would make and if the Hawks weren't so deep he would be playing in the NHL.

However at the same time tho we could just deal him before the draft (a sign and trade) for a 2nd (which would have been our compensation) if the Hawks really liked a player in the 2nd round. I know we don't have a 2nd round pick in this draft.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
If another team signs him as a FA, I don't think they have to pay draft pick compensation so I would be shocked if a team would trade for him unless he signs.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago

Completely in agreement with this post and MM's.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
don't attack a kid playing within the rules.
Hayes said repeatedly things along the lines that lead everyone to believe that he was signing with Chicago. IF, (this is still only a rumor based on 2 comments as far as I'm concerned) he signs elsewhere he invited plenty of criticism on himself. I think it's too early to hammer him until we know with more certainty what his intentions are, but if he is indeed going to contradict himself to chase money or what he perceives to be a better fit for him, fans have reason to go after him with comments. He chose to speak up and that has consequences.

He's going to be a professional hockey player, and I agree it is a business. Fan and media scrutiny go with that business too. He made his bed when he chose to state or directly imply his intentions. Now we wait.

I'm far more interested in what the front office has done or will do depending on how everything shakes out, but I won't disagree with anybody bashing or praising a decision to leave IF the rumors are true.

SLarmer28*

I always thought rosters spots are earned not given?

SLarmer28*

c'mon , when handzus is our 2C you know darn well thats not true
Which was Country Club Q's downfall in the 2012 NHL Playoffs:

Brunette
Morrison
Mayers
O'Donnell

A slew of washed up, over-the-hill, geriatrics.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Which was Country Club Q's downfall in the 2012 NHL Playoffs:

Brunette
Morrison
Mayers
O'Donnell

A slew of washed up, over-the-hill, geriatrics.

They barely played 160 minutes of the entire series and 5 games went to OT.

SLarmer28*

They barely played 160 minutes of the entire series and 5 games went to OT.
Which Chicago Blackhawks moron made an ill-advised pinch in overtime of Game 4 and which Chicago Blackhawks forward attempted a lame back check in overtime of Game 4 against the Phoenix Coyotes?

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
One of Country Club Q's former Colorado Avalanche players.

When will you realize everything you bring up about 2012 is completely irrelevant these days...Q doesn't completely control the roster he's given and Bowman has learned his lesson not to kill his team's transition game with old players. Not sure why you continuously bring this up day after day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad