Rumor: Kevin Hayes not signing with Hawks

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Well if he does not sign..it is a Standard fail...first for drafting a wasted first rounder...and second for not drafting the guy I wanted at #24 in the 2010 draft..that was Brock Nelson who is in the NIL and has I believe 13 goals in this his first year in the league..maybe he would have more if he were with the Hawks.. But at the time I had Nelson about 15 spots higher than K.Hayes.. We also coulda taken Nelson at #30 but we traded it down to take Rensfeldt at #35 and Standard chose not to sign and develop him..he was my choice at #30.. And I still think we coulda tried developing him and that they gave up on him too early.. But by trading the #30 down..Standard got an extra 2nd. .Kent Simpson at #58..i had posted not to draft Simpson because of an unforgettable muffled of a 50 foot long shot in the U-18s which told me he would be a busto-rama-pick..and now I am prove right because Simpson cannot stop a beachball in net for Rockford..So it looks.like Standard hit a trifecta of wasted picks getting only a #54 in 2014 for the #24 and 30th pick we started with. .We had other seconds..Johns and Holl. .but if Hayes bolts I would overall grade it a big fail in opportunity cost for Stan.. I guess this goes down as one of the worst draft performances by a Hawks GM if we lose Hues and go strike 3 on #24 #35 and #58 or looking at it another way we could have batted .500 had we just taken Nelson at #30 even if we had still taken Hayes at #24..genius Stan automated himself.

WJSN

Cosmic
Dec 22, 2013
I don't think Hayes will ever make it in the NHL. Not skilled enough to be a top-6 forward and doesn't have necessary traits to be an effective bottom-6 player. Quite frankly I'd rather have 54th overall than him.

Nothingman*

He may make it. But he will be more like his brother. Kind of a square peg in around hole no matter where you put him.

w00d

Remember the Roar
Oct 14, 2011
Chicago Stadium
Hayes would have better bargaining power if he were a UFA. Schultz's contract terms (salary + bonuses) is the same that first overall draft picks receive.

Why would a team that he wants to sign with trade us anything better than a 54th overall when they can just sign him for free?

Hayes can't talk to anyone except Stan Bowman until August 15th—until then, he is Blackhawks property, and if the Hawks think they can get something better for him than 54th overall, they'll try to do that. If Bowman calls up Brian Burke, Dale Tallon or Peter Chiarelli and offers Hayes for a low 2nd rounder in 2014, and he gets it, then bully for him. None of those guys has talked to Hayes (if they did, it's tampering), so they don't know what his intentions are. Getting him at the draft for a pick gives them exclusive negotiating rights. Maybe one of them will make Kev an offer he can't refuse.

massivegoonery

Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
I don't think Hayes will ever make it in the NHL. Not skilled enough to be a top-6 forward and doesn't have necessary traits to be an effective bottom-6 player. Quite frankly I'd rather have 54th overall than him.

Kayes is certain skilled enough to be a top-6 forward. On the Hawks, I'm less sure.

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago
That's strange because Kayes was quoted as saying there wasn't any hard feeling about his brother being traded. He understands this is a business.

Are we still taking what these guys say in the media seriously? These guys are coached what to say by media relations in college and when they get to the NHL.

KHayes is creating all types of leverage for himself right now - pretty much Negotiations 101. I wouldn't be surprised if he signed in Chicago or somewhere else at this point.

Unless one of these reporters has true inside information I don't trust any information until he signs a contract. I imagine the situation is pretty fluid.

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
Just got this

@HawksCap @TramyersCSN for the record I never said it was definite, just that he's leaning that way

JSmith81x

Your weapon is guilt
Dec 20, 2002
Visit site
Just let him go and take the 2nd rd pick to make up for the one they spent on Rundblad. Maybe Hayes'll be good, maybe not. But unless he's amazing or there's tons of injuries, he's not making the team next year and maybe not the year after either. And he wants to make the NHL as soon as possible, even if he's not ready. For the first time in my life, they're at a point where they can lose players for nothing or almost nothing and still have someone else to replace them.

feichter

Apr 2, 2006
Quite frankly, I would rather he made a descision now, then half-a$$ed a part ,or full, hockey career in the Hawk sweater. We want people who want to play to win. If you would rather not be aboard, no hard feelings, get out.

I don't know which way he might lean, haven't seen him live, never seen interviews, etc... If, however his heart is not in it. Ok with me...I'll take the #50-whatever pick, b/c noones going to trade me better then that, and let him walk. Sucks, but it is what it is. I want guys who want to win. Noone here should be entitled to anything.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
at least we get something for losing him. Sucks to wait the whole time to get the next project but well

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
Im sure Stan probably anticipated this scenario. Writing was on the stairwell wall.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Would be disappointing if he didn't sign. He's come along nicely this year. Think he'll be better than is brother.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Would be disappointing if he didn't sign. He's come along nicely this year. Think he'll be better than is brother.

As a BC season ticket holder, I was skeptical of Hayes his first two years but he really took a step forward last year before suffering a season ending injury. This year, he put it all together and it wasn't just because he played on a line with Gaudreau. Hayes has great vision/playmaking ability and he protects the puck extremely well. The one area he needed to improve the most was being more aggressive/shooting more/looking to score rather than always set someone else up. He finally did that this past year. Very intriguing prospect IMO. Can play center and wing.

Snowhawk

Dec 22, 2006
Ontario
Personally I believe championship teams become champions in large part because they have an abundance of character.

if a player expects to have a spot gifted to them rather than compete for it then I'm not sure they have the character you need to suceed as an organization.

Good luck to K Hayes wherever he ends up. At the end of the day it is better for the Hawks to have learned this about him now rather than investing a couple of seasons and then finding out later on down the road.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
Well if he does not sign..it is a Standard fail...first for drafting a wasted first rounder...and second for not drafting the guy I wanted at #24 in the 2010 draft..that was Brock Nelson who is in the NIL and has I believe 13 goals in this his first year in the league..maybe he would have more if he were with the Hawks.. But at the time I had Nelson about 15 spots higher than K.Hayes.. We also coulda taken Nelson at #30 but we traded it down to take Rensfeldt at #35 and Standard chose not to sign and develop him..he was my choice at #30.. And I still think we coulda tried developing him and that they gave up on him too early.. But by trading the #30 down..Standard got an extra 2nd. .Kent Simpson at #58..i had posted not to draft Simpson because of an unforgettable muffled of a 50 foot long shot in the U-18s which told me he would be a busto-rama-pick..and now I am prove right because Simpson cannot stop a beachball in net for Rockford..So it looks.like Standard hit a trifecta of wasted picks getting only a #54 in 2014 for the #24 and 30th pick we started with. .We had other seconds..Johns and Holl. .but if Hayes bolts I would overall grade it a big fail in opportunity cost for Stan.. I guess this goes down as one of the worst draft performances by a Hawks GM if we lose Hues and go strike 3 on #24 #35 and #58 or looking at it another way we could have batted .500 had we just taken Nelson at #30 even if we had still taken Hayes at #24..genius Stan automated himself.

hawksfan50 would have been GM of the Hawks, but when he sent in his resume, no one could understand it.

wladyslaw

Aug 19, 2013
As a BC season ticket holder, I was skeptical of Hayes his first two years but he really took a step forward last year before suffering a season ending injury. This year, he put it all together and it wasn't just because he played on a line with Gaudreau. Hayes has great vision/playmaking ability and he protects the puck extremely well. The one area he needed to improve the most was being more aggressive/shooting more/looking to score rather than always set someone else up. He finally did that this past year. Very intriguing prospect IMO. Can play center and wing.

Kayes- in the driver seat... either way he gets to play with same type of player- who should make him look very good stat wise ( JG with Flames or Kane w Hawks)... the only thing is w Flames he is more guaranteed of time and chance... w Hawks/Q- probably not... But really- I don't see how he could not succeed playing with Kane (given the Chance)... BUT- I am guessing SB can only make promises (that he can't keep, regarding Playing time)... So Kayes will opt for Flames!

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Looks like Pirri could be doing some tampering on the side.

brandon pirri ‏@pirri91 · 11h
Hey @KevinPHayes12 cubs game this summer? #cats @BarstoolChief

brandon pirri ‏@pirri91 · 12h
@BarstoolBigCat @KevinPHayes12 @BarstoolChief we wouldn't want to tamper though.... #anyonesGame

**** all these ex-Hawk or soon to be ex-Hawk in Kayes case. Go play for a bottom dweller and get your points while we make the playoffs every year and compete for a Cup. No one wants your whiny ***** on a team like the Hawks anyway.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
**** all these ex-Hawk or soon to be ex-Hawk in Kayes case. Go play for a bottom dweller and get your points while we make the playoffs every year and compete for a Cup. No one wants your whiny ***** on a team like the Hawks anyway.

Really hope the Hawks win the cup again, and Morin plays (or at least pull a "one game Ben Smith") in the final. Would love to see him raise it and get a ring to tro..er.. show it off to his buddies.

Gootie

GOATie
Jul 28, 2010
Chicago

Maybe they can go to another cup parade during their Cubs trip, cause the cup sure as **** ain't gonna be in florida any time this decade.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

I'm sure it was tongue in cheek. Easy killer. For somebody who constantly complained about people going on about Pirri when he does well you don't hesitate to discredit him given half a chance.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Easy guys.... they're probably just buddies and it was just an inside joke, albeit Twitter usually isn't the best website to do those on.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
It wouldn't surprise me if they were a big part of why he might not sign here. And I'm not saying because anyone's pissed (though that is possible too). It's just opportunity. Those guys making NHL paychecks on a bad team is far better for them than making Rockford paychecks in the Cup champion's system. Kayes is going to know he faces the same hurdles if he signs here.

What the Hawks can get from this is it's probably not wise to sign or trade for one of your better prospects' siblings. That's no different than why many employers don't want to hire their employees relatives in the normal/real working working. Also it's an extra risk you take when you sign NCAA players as opposed to CHL players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad