Rumor: Kevin Hayes not signing with Hawks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago
Khayes has so many years ahead of him, he literally could have signed here, won a cup then cash in just like Bollland did.

Lot of assuming right there. Any kid his age should just be worried about working his tail off to stick in the NHL. He's about to experience the greatest jump in game speed, skill, and physical demands of his hockey career. I really hope he's not thinking about the next contract. Statistically, it probably won't ever come.

My comment was just poking fun at the board. Any roster thread makes it seems like the franchise is about to collapse with bad contracts and poor cap management. Then come over here and everyone questioning why Hayes doesn't want to be apart of the best franchise in hockey. Just ironic to me.

Blackhawks26

6 time Cup Champions
Jun 17, 2011
Orland Park IL
Lot of assuming right there. Any kid his age should just be worried about working his tail off to stick in the NHL. He's about to experience the greatest jump in game speed, skill, and physical demands of his hockey career. I really hope he's not thinking about the next contract. Statistically, it probably won't ever come.

My comment was just poking fun at the board. Any roster thread makes it seems like the franchise is about to collapse with bad contracts and poor cap management. Then come over here and everyone questioning why Hayes doesn't want to be apart of the best franchise in hockey. Just ironic to me.
Oh i know, it's extremely annoying. I hate coming on here and seeing people freaking out about the 2015-2016 season when we don't even know what the cap is gonna be.

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
Oh i know, it's extremely annoying. I hate coming on here and seeing people freaking out about the 2015-2016 season when we don't even know what the cap is gonna be.

That is such a cop out.

We know where HRR was, the avg growth rate since 05, and the affect of the new Canadian Tv contract.

You can make a very good estimation of where the cap will be for 15-16. As time goes on when more evidence like estimates of HRR or the Canadian exchange rate affects the cap estimate gets better.

A good estimate right now for 15-16 is $74-$75 million.

One of the foundations of the capitalistic market is based on estimating what happens in the future.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
No, i would care about winning a cup. It's been my dream since i was kid.

If it was your dream - you could tell all of us about everything that you did to reach your dream right? 5:00am practices? Your parents sacrificing to buy you hockey gear? Potentially leaving your home to live with a foster family to help develop your skills? Thousands of grueling hours of practice and physical training to ensure that your body is ready for a grueling sport?

Most likely, your "dream" was sitting on your couch, drinking beer, and living vicariously through the athletes who actually did all of that stuff to reach their dream. And I'm not knocking sitting on your couch, as that is how I enjoy hockey. I just can appreciate though that KHayes has worked harder, and sacrificed more than I have, and that's why he's got the opportunity to make the NHL.

I just think that it is a rampant fanboy attitude that would allow a poster to rip on an athlete who is trying to put themselves in the best position to succeed. If you look at KHayes lifetime earning potential, probably 90% of that is based on his ability to get an NHL roster spot. Ripping on the kid for wanting the best possible chance of making the NHL (many of which are on quality NHL franchises like that Rangers or Bruins) is just RAMPANT butt-hurt homerism IMO, and makes all of us look bad.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
If it was your dream - you could tell all of us about everything that you did to reach your dream right? 5:00am practices? Your parents sacrificing to buy you hockey gear? Potentially leaving your home to live with a foster family to help develop your skills? Thousands of grueling hours of practice and physical training to ensure that your body is ready for a grueling sport?

Most likely, your "dream" was sitting on your couch, drinking beer, and living vicariously through the athletes who actually did all of that stuff to reach their dream
. And I'm not knocking sitting on your couch, as that is how I enjoy hockey. I just can appreciate though that KHayes has worked harder, and sacrificed more than I have, and that's why he's got the opportunity to make the NHL.

I just think that it is a rampant fanboy attitude that would allow a poster to rip on an athlete who is trying to put themselves in the best position to succeed. If you look at KHayes lifetime earning potential, probably 90% of that is based on his ability to get an NHL roster spot. Ripping on the kid for wanting the best possible chance of making the NHL (many of which are on quality NHL franchises like that Rangers or Bruins) is just RAMPANT butt-hurt homerism IMO, and makes all of us look bad.

calm-down-gif.gif

For reasons I, and may others, have stated before, i don't agree with the dislike of this guy (he hasn't even signed elsewhere yet). His twitter stuff is annoying but most young 20ish kids are annoying.

If he does sign with another team I hope he has a great career. I also hope that whenever he plays against the Hawks he's a -3 every night :D

Best of luck to the kid

Blackhawks26

6 time Cup Champions
Jun 17, 2011
Orland Park IL

Most likely, your "dream" was sitting on your couch, drinking beer, and living vicariously through the athletes who actually did all of that stuff to reach their dream. And I'm not knocking sitting on your couch, as that is how I enjoy hockey. I just can appreciate though that KHayes has worked harder, and sacrificed more than I have, and that's why he's got the opportunity to make the NHL.

i actually did wake up at 5:00am numerous times, i did spend THOUSANDS of dollars on Hockey and private lessons. Yes i played for good teams. YES i sacrificed many of my childhood years to hockey, but i just didn't have the talent to go to juniors and on. I'll be a senior in highschool this year, i assume which may be my last year of hockey, and knowing you arn't gonna go anywhere after spending so much money seriously sucks. But i played because i enjoyed it and if i was in KHayes shoes i would 100% chase the chance to have a cup. But that's just me.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
i actually did wake up at 5:00am numerous times, i did spend THOUSANDS of dollars on Hockey and private lessons. Yes i played for good teams. YES i sacrificed many of my childhood years to hockey, but i just didn't have the talent to go to juniors and on. I'll be a senior in highschool this year, i assume which may be my last year of hockey, and knowing you arn't gonna go anywhere after spending so much money seriously sucks. But i played because i enjoyed it and if i was in KHayes shoes i would 100% chase the chance to have a cup. But that's just me.

Thanks for responding, and your response does make your position make more sense.

I would ask though - why you think the Hawks would have a better chance to win the Cup during KH's likely career than another team. Both the Rangers and Bruins apparently have interest, and he'd be MUCH more likely to actually be a part of the team that wins the Cup (based on his chance of making the roster rather than the chance of winning the Cup). If KH makes the NHL, he would earn probably $800K MORE than he would if he signed with the Hawks. Even next year, he'd be fighting with 4-5 other guys (TT, MacNeil, Danualt, Hartman, etc.) which makes it unlikely he makes the NHL. At that point, he's 25 and likely seen as a career AHL'er.

We just get so wrapped up in the Hawks as fans that it's easy to lose sight of the fact that this a once in a lifetime opportunity for the players. KH isn't a "sure fire" NHLer, so if he gets in the right situation, he GREATLY increases his chances of making some NHL money. That is one of the reasons why I was happy the Hawks moved JH & BP somewhere were they'd get a chance.

Nothingman*

Thanks for responding, and your response does make your position make more sense.

I would ask though - why you think the Hawks would have a better chance to win the Cup during KH's likely career than another team. Both the Rangers and Bruins apparently have interest, and he'd be MUCH more likely to actually be a part of the team that wins the Cup (based on his chance of making the roster rather than the chance of winning the Cup). If KH makes the NHL, he would earn probably $800K MORE than he would if he signed with the Hawks. Even next year, he'd be fighting with 4-5 other guys (TT, MacNeil, Danualt, Hartman, etc.) which makes it unlikely he makes the NHL. At that point, he's 25 and likely seen as a career AHL'er.

We just get so wrapped up in the Hawks as fans that it's easy to lose sight of the fact that this a once in a lifetime opportunity for the players. KH isn't a "sure fire" NHLer, so if he gets in the right situation, he GREATLY increases his chances of making some NHL money. That is one of the reasons why I was happy the Hawks moved JH & BP somewhere were they'd get a chance.

Everyone knows the economics. The unknown is the long term gain/loss for the way he is going. Nobody thinks he is any douchier than he already was before this happened. He is not going to a difference maker for us which is clearly evident by the number of superior prospects we have compared to him for which he is unwilling to compete. He is not doing anything illegal or against the CBA. But you have no right to force your opinion of a player down another person's throat. Especially when I watched plenty games of his and he did not stand out until on a stacked line his senior year. Glad he can make his $ if he does but he is nothing special or he would have been signed loooooong before he was a senior.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Everyone knows the economics. The unknown is the long term gain/loss for the way he is going. Nobody thinks he is any douchier than he already was before this happened. He is not going to a difference maker for us which is clearly evident by the number of superior prospects we have compared to him for which he is unwilling to compete. He is not doing anything illegal or against the CBA. But you have no right to force your opinion of a player down another person's throat. Especially when I watched plenty games of his and he did not stand out until on a stacked line his senior year. Glad he can make his $ if he does but he is nothing special or he would have been signed loooooong before he was a senior.

Honestly wondering how am I forcing my idea's about a player down another posters throat?

I was just stating that people vilifying Hayes are WAY off base. Hayes is doing what is best for him, just like EVERY person on this board would do if they were in his shoes.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
The Hawks wasted a first round pick on the guy. They've surely spent a ton of time and money on him over the last 4 years since they drafted him. Life goes on, but nobody should expect Hawk fans to be all peachy and wishing him the greatest success in his career.

That all said - I do not agree with the line of thinking that he wants the easy way out. I think he just wants the quickest path to an NHL paycheck - which is understandable. He might end up busting out, and if he can sneak an year or two of NHL paychecks in before that's determined, then that will serve him very well for the rest of his life.

rick hawk

Apr 9, 2004
The Hawks wasted a first round pick on the guy. They've surely spent a ton of time and money on him over the last 4 years since they drafted him. Life goes on, but nobody should expect Hawk fans to be all peachy and wishing him the greatest success in his career.

That all said - I do not agree with the line of thinking that he wants the easy way out. I think he just wants the quickest path to an NHL paycheck - which is understandable. He might end up busting out, and if he can sneak an year or two of NHL paychecks in before that's determined, then that will serve him very well for the rest of his life.

If that's the case it sure doesn't seem like he's got much confidence in himself.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
What money did they waste on him? I thought college players didn't get contracts

Well if you listen to interviews with prospects. They talk about the Hawks sending scouts out to watch their games, them watching them on tv. Constantly telling them what to work on, etc.

You don't think they draft these guys and forget about them until they sign, do you?

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
If that's the case it sure doesn't seem like he's got much confidence in himself.

I didn't mean to imply that he doesn't have confidence in himself. He could have a catastrophic injury. A lot of things could happen. Or if he does have a successful career, then nothing is lost.

The point was he has a lot to gain by making the NHL faster, and nothing to lose.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Well if you listen to interviews with prospects. They talk about the Hawks sending scouts out to watch their games, them watching them on tv. Constantly telling them what to work on, etc.

You don't think they draft these guys and forget about them until they sign, do you?

All of this, plus all the expense of bringing the players in every summer for prospects camp, which includes flying them in, putting them up in a hotel, feeding them, giving them equipment, paying to bring and put up all staff in for the week to do that, etc, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille