News Article: Kessel on his way out of Pittsburgh?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I agree that you can't win with Kessel as your principle player but is that not with any winger not named Ovechkin? Heck even Ovechkin was considered that until this year (Could not win with him as the principle player).

Hockey's all team-play. Crosby couldn't win without Malkin. Toews couldn't win without Kane. Bergeron couldn't win without Marchand.

Hyman - Matthews - Kessel
Marleau - Kadri - Marner
Johnsson - Nylander - Kapanen
Grundstrom - Aaltonen/Lindholm - Brown

I don't get the dislike of Kessel outside of him being expensive to acquire.

there are many reasons to dislike kessel, just like there are many reasons to like him. it's not just you, but i always find it curious why it's perfectly acceptable to like a player (for whatever reason) but people have to defend themselves for not liking a player. you like whom you like, and you dislike whom you dislike. I personally do not want Kessel back on this team.if Dubas were to get him (which would be interesting considering that the management staff in place didn't want any part of him), then as a Leaf, then i'll cheer for him and want him to do well - but i still wouldn't like him, and I hope it was to do a proper pump + dump this time.

onto your point. yes, it's a team game, however I think Ovechkin got a lot of stuff dumped on his door for a lot of poor team play (and he was the best player - just like Kessel before anyone starts with me) but Ovy is being Ovy and the Caps are all finally rowing the same way.

I don't think Kessel is that kind of player, he's always been a playoff performer but i personally feel he's his best when he's not the main focal point. There is a difference and maybe it's just too late (and too hot) to really articulate what I mean, but I feel that there are some wingers who can be that kind of player (like it's not position focused i think). but regardless, I don't feel kessel is that type of player, not like P. Kane for example.

Reactions: Lauro

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
there are many reasons to dislike kessel, just like there are many reasons to like him. it's not just you, but i always find it curious why it's perfectly acceptable to like a player (for whatever reason) but people have to defend themselves for not liking a player. you like whom you like, and you dislike whom you dislike.

I'm just curious for your reasons, you don't have to defend your opinion if you don't want to. It's perfectly acceptable to like a player and to not like a player, I'm not coming at you specifically for disliking him.

if Dubas were to get him (which would be interesting considering that the management staff in place didn't want any part of him), then as a Leaf, then i'll cheer for him and want him to do well - but i still wouldn't like him, and I hope it was to do a proper pump + dump this time.

When did the management staff in place say they didn't want any part of him!? To me, you had to trade Kessel to start the rebuild. I love Kessel but if we didn't trade him that year, I would've hated this management (Rebuilds are useless if you don't trade your elite players; Matthews, Kapanen, Andersen were indirect results of that Kessel trade). IMO the management would love to have Kessel back.

onto your point. yes, it's a team game, however I think Ovechkin got a lot of stuff dumped on his door for a lot of poor team play (and he was the best player - just like Kessel before anyone starts with me) but Ovy is being Ovy and the Caps are all finally rowing the same way.

I don't think Kessel is that kind of player, he's always been a playoff performer but i personally feel he's his best when he's not the main focal point. There is a difference and maybe it's just too late (and too hot) to really articulate what I mean, but I feel that there are some wingers who can be that kind of player (like it's not position focused i think). but regardless, I don't feel kessel is that type of player, not like P. Kane for example.

That's a perfectly reasonable opinion. But I disagree with you and your 2nd paragraph. Is it a coincidence that Kessel plays his best when his team is not garbage? Bergeron/Savard/Lucic/Horton/Chara/Thomas/etc in Boston, Crosby/Malkin/Guentzal/Sheary/Letang/Murray/etc in Pittsburgh vs ... JVR/Bozak/Kadri/Phaneuf/Reimer in Toronto?

Would P.Kane or A.Ovechkin be considered 'that type of player' if they had to carry a team featuring JVR/Bozak/Kadri/Phaneuf/Reimer as the main players versus Toews/Hossa/Saad/Sharp/Keith/Seabrook/Hjarmlsson/Campbell/Crawford/etc & Backstrom/Kuznestov/Oshie/Carlson/Niskanen/Holtby?[/QUOTE]

Reactions: Diddy

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I'm just curious for your reasons, you don't have to defend your opinion if you don't want to. It's perfectly acceptable to like a player and to not like a player, I'm not coming at you specifically for disliking him.

no - and i'm sorry if i made it seem like that, it was a general "you" and a general observation. i find if you're overly critical or you just don't like someone, it's like how dare you, like @Kyle92 says he hates the player, and the comeback is all "well says a lot about you as a person." (or the gist of that phrasing anyway). like why?

anyhoo. i've written why so many times I don't want to go into too much detail - but basically the final year here really soured me on him. like the whole aspect of it. i've been honest, and like I hated everyone during the Bad Year). had he stayed like Dion, I probably would have gotten over it, but meh. (I mean there's more to it than that and if you really wanna know, you can send me a PM and i can go more into depth). but that's basically the crux.

When did the management staff in place say they didn't want any part of him!? To me, you had to trade Kessel to start the rebuild. I love Kessel but if we didn't trade him that year, I would've hated this management (Rebuilds are useless if you don't trade your elite players; Matthews, Kapanen, Andersen were indirect results of that Kessel trade). IMO the management would love to have Kessel back.

in little ways. (again, i've written this so many times, but i'll sum it up).
Shanahan gets hired, and a few months - really"nothing" line at the end of the article (at the time) but he basically says that he talked to everyone during exit meetings about how he expected things to be and the way people come to camp will say a lot to him about who truly wants to be a maple leaf. The whole Feschuk article blows up, and I don't think that really did Phil any favours at all. then the whole year happened and there were more talks about the direction they were going to go, etc. Then Babcock comes and he's talking to Phil, Dion, Lupul and Bernier, basically the leadership corps, several times between when he got hired and draft. All of a sudden Dion's trade rumours die down but Phil's ramp up. then Phil is gone.

now. i have stated many times i have zero glitches with the trade (at all) and i've made the argument that if we keep Phil, we don't finish dead last. however i've also always said is that I personally feel that the Leafs were comfortable in their drafting that they could finish in the top five and be happy. (and while we don't have Matthews, we can get someone solid (and arguably, this year would have been our really painful year and maybe we draft Dahlin. that's a lot of shoulda coulda woulda i know). but they were prepared to keep a huge chunk of impactful players, so keeping Kessel really wouldn't have made that much of a difference, then just do a major sale when they did (early feb). Like remember. a big part of why we were last, was because everyone was either hurt, or simply forgot how to score by the beginning of January. we were really lucky to be dead last.

That's a perfectly reasonable opinion. But I disagree with you and your 2nd paragraph. Is it a coincidence that Kessel plays his best when his team is not garbage? Bergeron/Savard/Lucic/Horton/Chara/Thomas/etc in Boston, Crosby/Malkin/Guentzal/Sheary/Letang/Murray/etc in Pittsburgh vs ... JVR/Bozak/Kadri/Phaneuf/Reimer in Toronto?

Would P.Kane or A.Ovechkin be considered 'that type of player' if they had to carry a team featuring JVR/Bozak/Kadri/Phaneuf/Reimer as the main players versus Toews/Hossa/Saad/Sharp/Keith/Seabrook/Hjarmlsson/Campbell/Crawford/etc & Backstrom/Kuznestov/Oshie/Carlson/Niskanen/Holtby?
[/QUOTE]

I've never said that Kessel never played his best (here), he did. actually he's had better years here than in Pittsburgh (though I think he had a career year for assists? i dunno). no matter where he was he was always a great playoff performer and I never denied him that either. My argument is that he's not the principle player. at all. he wasn't in Boston (where he had issues and they were a lot better and a lot more structured than we were). He was forced (stupidly by Burke) into being one, and in Pittsburgh he's not. he'll never be and I think that's the type of player he is. and I don't even think it's a bad thing or an insult, though i know a lot of people tend to take it as such. And if he's available because he's still having issues with coaching or whatever... well. why entertain that headache again?

Some people were born to be the headliner,
some people have the talent to be the headliner, but they need better cast
and some people think they are the headliner but never will be.
for me Phil's the 2nd.

but again we can agree to disagree on that.

BrainyBomber

Apr 1, 2018
Perhaps in a 3 way trade?

Someone would have to know the CBA pretty well to know the answer.

It could be once a player is retained he is always retained, or perhaps if he was traded back to the original team the retention could be droppped.

Most logical is you trade for him and then trade him to a team that needs offense and have the Flames retain 1.2 on Hamilton. :sarcasm:

I think the Leafs retention makes it a lot easier to move him again this summer. Wasn't he available last summer as well?
Nah not after that playoff performance he was a key cog in lifting the cup.

The retention does make it easier but I still think he's good value at $8m for the right team (not us) so would love to see us explore getting that retention back

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Why on earth would we want Kessel now? We have so much skill on RW we're probably going to move Nylander to center. The only thing Kessel brings is scoring and we have that in abundance, and he's terrible at the things we need to get better at.

I feel like many Leafs fans are desperate to compensate for the fact that Phil was run out of town, then went on to do a bunch of winning. Now they're all like "Oh we didn't run him out of town. Phil was a beloved all-time Leaf great. It was the mean old media's fault. I'M not part of that!".

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
I would love for them to take Phil back, I'd hate for them to spend any asset to do so though.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Gorbo

Sep 3, 2009
Carrick, Martin, Mueller, rights to van Riemsdyk and a 4th. in 2019 and a conditional 1st. in 2020 if the Leafs win the Cup and Kessel is MVP.

Signed JVR and the MVP changed to kessel or anyone who played more than 10 minutes per game with him and that might work

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Why on earth would we want Kessel now? We have so much skill on RW we're probably going to move Nylander to center. The only thing Kessel brings is scoring and we have that in abundance, and he's terrible at the things we need to get better at.

IMO the reasoning is that we already have enough skilled RWs is bogus. How many better wingers than Kessel do we currently have (with like you said Nylander probably going to C). Zero. In the future, Marner will be better hopefully. We don't have a sniper on the wings also, and have none coming up. He's terrible along the boards but addition by subtraction with our two worst defensively forwards JVR and Bozak leaving. Kessels locked up at 6.8 mill for 4 years too. Trade Brown and Hyman if there's no room. Also, getting better at team-defense starts with Matthews/Marner/Nylander/Kadri/Marleau/Brown etc before it does with any UFA whether it be Tavares, Kessel or even Doughty.

2019-2020:

Grundstrom (ELC) - Matthews (10) - Kessel (6.8)
Johnsson (? 3 mill) - Nylander (6) - Kapanen (? 3 mill)
Hyman (2.5) - Kadri (4.5) - Marner (6.5)
Aaltonen (1 mill) - Gauthier/Lindholm (1 mill) - Korkshov/Engvall (ELC)

Rielly (5 mill) - xxx
Dermott (? 4 mill) - Liljegren (ELC)
Borgman/Rosen (2 mill) - Zaitsev (4.5 mill)

Andersen (5 mill)
Backup (1 mill)

That leaves about 5-6 mill+ for a partner for Rielly as well. Assets such as Connor Brown, Bracco, Timashov, draft picks can be used to acquire exactly that.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Instead of worrying about Kessel, how about we just play our cheap, young player who is dominating the AHL playoffs right now?

klamla

Jan 3, 2016
If he came for a song, me too.
if he came for a song, i'd love to hear the encore as well

i think phil would be a great weapon, but i'd have to be convinced of the value over what we would have to give up.

Last edited:

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Hyman - Matthews - Kessel
Marleau - Kadri - Marner
Johnsson - Nylander - Kapanen
Grundstrom - Aaltonen/Lindholm - Brown

Looks good but I don't know if it'll work. Matthews already whines about wanting to play with Marner. Might as well give him Marner instead of making Kessel play with linemates who don't appreciate him.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Looks good but I don't know if it'll work. Matthews already whines about wanting to play with Marner. Might as well give him Marner instead of making Kessel play with linemates who don't appreciate him.

when did he whine about that?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It's interesting that Pittsburgh has had him for 3 years, and in the first season he hasn't been part of a championship, they want to get rid of him, despite the fact that he's coming off a 90+ point season.

The Lid Comes Off Phil Kessel Situation

Also interesting how much of a polarizing figure he is in Pittsburgh, similar to in Toronto.

Says a lot that in order to make it work with Phil, you basically need to be winning the cup every year. Otherwise it's headed for a divorce.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Is this thread real? Are people's memories that short?

Shannahan called him a difficult player, and getting him traded was one of the top priorities.

Three teams out of three where he's been called out for being difficult to work with. You think we're going to bring that in here on a team with a bunch of young guys? Please.

There's no way he's coming back.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Phil to Minnesota, you heard it here first
I was thinking Minnesota or Carolina were likely destinations for him. Both teams with new management that could be looking to make a splash with some high-end skill, with some pieces on the backend to deal from.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
It's interesting that Pittsburgh has had him for 3 years, and in the first season he hasn't been part of a championship, they want to get rid of him, despite the fact that he's coming off a 90+ point season.

The Lid Comes Off Phil Kessel Situation

Also interesting how much of a polarizing figure he is in Pittsburgh, similar to in Toronto.

Says a lot that in order to make it work with Phil, you basically need to be winning the cup every year. Otherwise it's headed for a divorce.

Isn’t it more interesting that the two players who didn’t speak to the media: Phil Kessel and Dougie Hamilton are the ones who are now, literally the next day, difficult and wanting a trade?

Isn’t it funny that the Matthews hate here and the “he can’t be a captain sentiment” really took full steam after he didn’t speak to the media?

I love how people can’t see it for what it is. The media is full of mean girls who start rumours about you the second they don’t get invited to a party

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
Lets bring him back and go hog wild into run and gun hockey. This will help make team better defensively NOT. Another JVR in the defensive end. Actually JVR is a little better at least he is bigger.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
That ship has sailed.
Time to move forward and surround the core with speedy solid 2 way players that can forecheck and score a little. And defend a lot. Relentlessly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad