News Article: Kessel on his way out of Pittsburgh?

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
1. That's actually a good reason.
2. That's actually a terrible, terrible reason. Chiarelli, is that you? :sarcasm:

The old-geezers that traded Tyler Seguin because he didn't fit their 'team culture' is hilarious and the same reasoning you're using. I'm guessing you wouldn't Seguin on our team as well ...
3. The RWs for next year will be Marner, Brown, Kapanen, xxx with Nylander moving to C. If you decide to play 28 point Connor Brown over 92 point Phil Kessel, then that's entirely on you.
Hyman - Matthews - Kessel (17 minutes)
Johnsson - Kadri - Marner ( 16 minutes)
Marleau - Nylander - Kapanen (15 minutes)
Aaltonen - Lindholm - Brown ( 12 minutes)
4. Oh yeah totally. You were probably one of the posters who thought he would've retired by now from obesity even though he's played a gazillion games consecutively at a top-level (outside of the 14/15 Leafs).

Are you just making random opinions with no context?

Boston moved Kessel because they had NO cap space. They already had stars Savard, Krejci, Lucic, Horton, Chara, AND more locked up and were already at the cap limit when Kessel's contract ended. They had no choice but to either deal him, or one of their already-core players.

Toronto moed Kessel because they had to rebuild. There was absolutely no scenario, NONE, where Toronto rebuilds without moving Kessel. That trade indirectly ended up giving us Matthews (guaranteed last place), Kapanen (in deal) , Andersen (draft pick in the deal traded).

That was always Boston's story but it was not true. They could have kept Kessel.

Reactions: hotpaws

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014

There's no real content in those articles? One is by Steve Simmons and the other one is all speculation. Chiarelli himself repeated numerous times (Because Leaf reporters kept asking) and he said there was no hard feelings.

That was always Boston's story but it was not true. They could have kept Kessel

How would they have kept him? By trading away already long-term signed core-players? Why did Chicago trade Saad? Same reasoning.

kyle n00bas

Dec 10, 2017

The old-geezers that traded Tyler Seguin because he didn't fit their 'team culture' is hilarious and the same reasoning you're using. I'm guessing you wouldn't Seguin on our team as well ...

Is my team's culture out of touch?

No, it's highly skilled players in their prime who are wrong.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
He actually was heavily involved in the 2015 draft.

Maybe on the phone fielding trade calls and getting bent over for Kessel.

But the draft was run by Hunter, he was making final calls on player selections which was widely reported. I suggest you do more research on the subject then we can discuss further.

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011
This is quite well known. Babcock wanted nothing to do with him and his playing style.
No this is not true. I signed in for the first time in about 3 years to chime in. The reports I read said Babcock wanted to work with Kessel and thought he could turn him into a better player. Where are you getting your info from, or is it just BS?

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
No this is not true. I signed in for the first time in about 3 years to chime in. The reports I read said Babcock wanted to work with Kessel and thought he could turn him into a better player. Where are you getting your info from, or is it just BS?

Both Mike B and I are from Saskatchewan and the same age. Believe what you will, doesn't matter to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad