News Article: Kessel on his way out of Pittsburgh?

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Although it doesn't matter in the least to the Toronto Maple Leafs any longer, if true I hope this can underline the seldom recognized middle ground in the longstanding Kessel debate: Kessel is both a great, productive talent that a team CAN win championships with AND he's a royal pain in the rear end to coach and manage.

If you read the article, the discussed controversy is over Kessel perhaps playing hurt to keep his consecutive game streak alive. That's a very strange thing to have an issue with. Usually the "bad attitude" players have the "if I'm not 100% I'm not playing" attitude.

Last edited:
Reactions: blueberrie

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Phil really should have sat out a few games. If he was healthier in the playoffs, maybe they beat Washington.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
I find it hilarious that the main reason people don't want Kessel is because we don't need more scoring. I'm the biggest believer in team-defense here but why on earth would you not want more scoring (and that coming from an elite player). With JVR and Bozak gone (who are worse than Kessel defensively), we're already better. You ask Pens fans and they'll tell you Kessel backchecks and isn't bad defensively. He isn't great defensively but we bashed him hard as the scapegoat when he was here.

If adding one of the top elite scoring wingers is an issue that's not cap-related, then there's a serious existing-issue with the team and adding Nicklas fricken Lidstrom won't help that. Team-defense starts with Matthews/Nylander/Marner/Kadri/Johnsson/Marleau/Kapanen/Hyman/Brown before it does with any UFA signing we get.

Johnsson - Matthews - Kessel (The top line we've been waiting for. Kessel's playmaking is on par or better than that wicked release of his)
Hyman - Kadri - Marner (Fast, skilled defensive line)
Marleau - Nylander - Kapanen (Marleau to help Nylander transition to C)
UFA LW - Lindholm - Brown

But anyways, there's no way the Pens are actually giving up a 92 point Kessel.

I really couldn't believe JVR/Bozak worst defensively comment. They would get caught up ice quite a bit, and although JVR was slower then Bozak, he would try. Bozak was heading in one of two directions, the oppositions net, or his nearest hotdog vendor. He wouldn't even try.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Kessel didn't quit on the team, he didn't ask to be traded.

Agree. Doesn't sound like either player or team is really pushing for a trade here either, just open to it as a possibility. Sure Pittsburgh didn't win the Cup this season, but I imagine they still view themselves as a contender, so a trade isn't going to be easy from that perspective.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
It's a fact, if you list all the player's season since they started recording giveaways/takeaways, there's only been two times a Penguin has beaten Bozak's 133rd overall, both times by Malkin. Kessel's defense doesn't even come close.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
If the Pens trade him is there anyway we can trade back for our $1.2m cap retention? We could really use that space from 2019-20 onwards.

Since the cap has gone up alot since we shipped him his overall cap hit of $8m for 4 more years isn't that bad really for a 93 point scorer last season. So the team the Pens trade him to wouldn't really need us to continue to take on that $1.2m retention.

I'd be fine parting with a decent draft pick or a Leivo or McBackup.

Perhaps in a 3 way trade?

Someone would have to know the CBA pretty well to know the answer.

It could be once a player is retained he is always retained, or perhaps if he was traded back to the original team the retention could be droppped.

Most logical is you trade for him and then trade him to a team that needs offense and have the Flames retain 1.2 on Hamilton. :sarcasm:

I think the Leafs retention makes it a lot easier to move him again this summer. Wasn't he available last summer as well?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Although it doesn't matter in the least to the Toronto Maple Leafs any longer, if true I hope this can underline the seldom recognized middle ground in the longstanding Kessel debate: Kessel is both a great, productive talent that a team CAN win championships with AND he's a royal pain in the rear end to coach and manage.

If you read the article, the discussed controversy is over Kessel perhaps playing hurt to keep his consecutive game streak alive. That's a very strange thing to have an issue with. Usually the "bad attitude" players have the "if I'm not 100% I'm not playing" attitude.

for the most part, I don't think anyone said they couldn't win with Kessel. the argument was always you could not win with kessel with him as your principle player. (and regardless of his achievements it was always Crosby then Malkin, then Fleury/Murray and then Kessel). I have my issues regarding kessel, but I will (and have) given crap to people for stating anything less than that.

but to answer to the question, no. I wouldn't want Kessel here.

Reactions: hotpaws

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Which is fair, just statements like Kessel quit on the team aren't fair. He led the team in points every season he played with us.

well that's if you equate leading the team with points with quitting/not quitting. you do, so i'll respect your opinion of that :)

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
We need to really improve our play along the boards and getting Phil Kessel doesn't help with that!

Pass.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
that says more about you than it does about Kessel

No, it says more about how Kessel carried himself as a Leaf on the ice. Lazy, disinterested, pouty, combative with the fans and media alike. He was a real sack of shit while he was here and it looks like he starting to wear out his welcome in Pittsburgh as well.

I don't know Phil Kessel the person, but I sure as hell don't like Phil Kessel the hockey player.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

Mckay

I find your lack of gravy disturbing.
Mar 5, 2014
Canada
Wasn't it Dubas/Hunter that made the trade to get rid of him in the first place? I can't see him having any interest in getting him back. Leafs didn't have to trade him and they did, must have had their reasons.

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010
So everyone quit on the team then? We were terrible after Carlyle was fired. Kessel still led that team in points, assists and was only two goals back on JVR.

Why else would the Leafs be actively trying to purge all of those players from the team and fans memory?

It was an embarrasingly mentally weak team with zero structure or leadership. Not sure why people want to bring the ringleader back. Dubas, Shanny and Babcock wanted absolutely nothing to do with Kessel so I dont ever see a reunion happening under this management.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Why else would the Leafs be actively trying to purge all of those players from the team and fans memory?

It was an embarrasingly mentally weak team with zero structure or leadership. Not sure why people want to bring the ringleader back. Dubas, Shanny and Babcock wanted absolutely nothing to do with Kessel so I dont ever see a reunion happening under this management.
Leafs are actively shopping Gards and Kadri too?

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
I think we can all agree that his skill sets make Kessel an attractive consideration. Someone earlier posted a line of Kapanen, Nylander and Kessel, that could be very exciting. It's the negative residue that clings to him that I find off putting. He was difficult to coach here, and maybe because his temperament wasn't conducive to being the leader of the pack. But I've been told he also berated Carlyle on the bench during a game, basically telling him to f*ck off. However much he may have changed since then, that type of attitude is not fully removable, imo, and is not the type of team centric view that I believe Babcock values. Finally, who would we give up to acquire him? I'd imagine with whatever perceived warts he has, Kessel is still a dominant offensive force and would require a strong offering from the Leafs to see him return. Whoever is a part of that package, I'm of the opinion that it would be too expensive for the Leafs to put forward at this time.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
I love Phil the Thrill and would take him back with open arms. I wouldn't want to huge price though. If they want to take on Gardiner and a 2nd tier prospect for PK. I would do that deal 100% of the times.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
for the most part, I don't think anyone said they couldn't win with Kessel. the argument was always you could not win with kessel with him as your principle player. (and regardless of his achievements it was always Crosby then Malkin, then Fleury/Murray and then Kessel). I have my issues regarding kessel, but I will (and have) given crap to people for stating anything less than that.

but to answer to the question, no. I wouldn't want Kessel here.

I agree that you can't win with Kessel as your principle player but is that not with any winger not named Ovechkin? Heck even Ovechkin was considered that until this year (Could not win with him as the principle player).

Hockey's all team-play. Crosby couldn't win without Malkin. Toews couldn't win without Kane. Bergeron couldn't win without Marchand.

Hyman - Matthews - Kessel
Marleau - Kadri - Marner
Johnsson - Nylander - Kapanen
Grundstrom - Aaltonen/Lindholm - Brown

I don't get the dislike of Kessel outside of him being expensive to acquire.

We need to really improve our play along the boards and getting Phil Kessel doesn't help with that!

Pass.

That starts with Matthews/Marner/Nylander/Brown/Kadri/Marleau/Johnsson/Kapanen first. What's the point of even contending for the playoffs if those guys don't improve their dedication to team-defense.

Wasn't it Dubas/Hunter that made the trade to get rid of him in the first place? I can't see him having any interest in getting him back. Leafs didn't have to trade him and they did, must have had their reasons.

They had to trade him, they didn't have a choice. It's a rebuild. If we kept Kessel, we don't finish last and get Matthews.

Reactions: stickty111

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->