News Article: Kessel on his way out of Pittsburgh?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
For the record, for anyone unfamiliar who happens to be reading this. There is no indication whatsoever that Matthews refused to speak to the media. Media members were told he was not being made available, which may have been a choice of Leafs management or PR or whatever. Also, he doesn't wear any letter yet on his sweater, so if he doesn't speak after a game here and there, it's hardly unreasonable.

Didnt stop the media from going after him for days.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Didnt stop the media from going after him for days.

No disagreement. I was just stating that for anyone who's reading here and not familiar with how the events actually went down. Kristen Shilton was very clear on the radio the next day that they requested Auston Matthews, but he was not made available.

I mean, for all we know, he tweaked something and was getting a quick evaluation by the medical staff. There's a million possibilities of why he could be not made available that aren't him refusing.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Besides, I don't think that Dubas and Shanny have any interest in him. They couldn't get rid of him fast enough a couple of years ago, why would they suddenly have any interest in bringing him back?

I don't think he's coming back but it's a very different scenario. He needed to go to help create a new identity. He wouldn't be in the same position now he was then, he'd be a lot more like JVR just a much better hockey player. He'd be behind Matthews Marner/Nylander and in no way the face of the team.

That being said he's not being traded.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
No disagreement. I was just stating that for anyone who's reading here and not familiar with how the events actually went down. Kristen Shilton was very clear on the radio the next day that they requested Auston Matthews, but he was not made available.

I mean, for all we know, he tweaked something and was getting a quick evaluation by the medical staff. There's a million possibilities of why he could be not made available that aren't him refusing.

I agree. And ultimately especially since I am going after the media, I should be sure to get my facts right lol. But that was the whole point. They twisted it to make their narrative. As they always do.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I agree. And ultimately especially since I am going after the media, I should be sure to get my facts right lol. But that was the whole point. They twisted it to make their narrative. As they always do.

It's the same garbage with the 'Matthews has requested to play with Marner next year' narrative; which is untrue. Okay, so technically, he said he'd like to play more with him, but it was in direct response to a reporter asking him if he'd like to play more with Mitch. And on top of that, he also said that he doesn't make the lineups and there are lots of good players on this team. That's as much of a non answer as you can give while also indicating it'd be fun to play with a friend.

And the whole supposed Babcock/Matthews rift that was based on nothing more than pure speculation because Matthews looked angry on the bench at one point...

Reactions: kindalaidback

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
As far as the actual topic. I don’t think Kessel fits here right now. Like if we could get him back for nothing and flip willy for a stud D ok.....

But at this point best to move on. Our priorities are C and D

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
It's the same garbage with the 'Matthews has requested to play with Marner next year' narrative; which is untrue. Okay, so technically, he said he'd like to play more with him, but it was in direct response to a reporter asking him if he'd like to play more with Mitch. And on top of that, he also said that he doesn't make the lineups and there are lots of good players on this team. That's as much of a non answer as you can give while also indicating it'd be fun to play with a friend.

And the whole supposed Babcock/Matthews rift that was based on nothing more than pure speculation because Matthews looked angry on the bench at one point...

There is no reason that any Toronto player should be available to the media. Who cares if TSN/Rogers don't get a soundbite after the game. The canned responses of we need to play harder, X player had a good game, need to start on time don't mean anything. When they give an honest and heartfelt response they get attacked for it half the time.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I love Kessel but he's not what the Leafs need. He gets a high percentage of his points from the PP. He's primarily the passer, Crosby stands in front of the net, and Malkin has the Howitzer. Kessel and Marner on the same PP would not work, too much perimeter play.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Three for three this year. Matthews, Kessel, Hamilton.

Kessel has had about a million “good guy Phil” articles and they were talking about him and the Ross/hart etc back in January. The toronto media has brought up the tocchet thing. Not much else. In pitt he has been loved mostly.

There were never “he wants out” rumours until the day he snubbed the media.

Hamilton got the exact same treatment.
Same with Matthews. There was never a single question who the next captain would be until he refused to speak to the media after was it game 4???

Now he Is the problem. At what point do people start actually believing it is an issue. There are 3 separate cases from 3 seperate cities. Toronto is the worst generally. But it is common. In fact there was an article published that even admitted that the media go nicer on people who talk to them. From toronto. The guy chronicled how frank Thomas sucked here, but got a free pass because he joked with the media. Then the guy said the media would back off if he was nice to them.

That got published. Just. Sad

Phil has always been a problem child.

The concept isn't to placate the media or else more so that the media reports on situations which are interesting.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Not really. We achieved exactly what we needed to with that deal. Given the context of the timing/situation we simply weren't getting more for Kessel.

I still come from the school of "the team that comes out with the best player is the winner".

I think even the best spin on the situation or a silver lining can't change the facts of this trade.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I still come from the school of "the team that comes out with the best player is the winner".

I think even the best spin on the situation or a silver lining can't change the facts of this trade.

That feels like a massive oversimplification to me. To each their own I guess.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
Pass on Phil. Need more compete on this tea m and he's the furthest thing from that

ya man, you know Kessel and his 2 rings. He doesnt know about compete....The elite NHLer whos 8th in scoring, constantly scoring (which is the objective of the sport) but hes hated on constantly by people who know nothing, absolutely nothing, about the sport.

edit: reading some of your posts lmao. ya...

Reactions: CertifiedLurker

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
ya man, you know Kessel and his 2 rings. He doesnt know about compete....The elite NHLer whos 8th in scoring, constantly scoring (which is the objective of the sport) but hes hated on constantly by people who know nothing, absolutely nothing, about the sport.

edit: reading some of your posts lmao. ya...

TIL every player that is on a team that wins the cup is flawless. They're all incredible two-way players who will run through a brick wall to make a play and block shots with their face.

Common man. I don't want to harp on Kessel because I don't care about the guy, but I facepalm when I see Leafs fans running to his defense constantly in order to separate themselves from the fact that he was run out of town and then won.

It's fine. Kessel is one of the league's best scorers, and he can help a team win. He's also terrible defensively and his "compete" level is pathetic. All of these things can be true at the same time.

Last edited:

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
He won the cup twice, we need that kind of leadership on our team!!!!!!

Reality is we don't need a 3RW of that caliber. Unless Nylander is being moved to 3 C.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don't know if Phil winning the cup twice makes him an experienced leader. Put it this way. It was all lovey dovey in Pittsburgh but the moment they slip they want to get rid of Phil? Doesn't sound like he's an essential member they want to "ride or die" with.

TeamBester

Debunked
Feb 15, 2010
Kingston, Ontario
I don't think he's coming back but it's a very different scenario. He needed to go to help create a new identity. He wouldn't be in the same position now he was then, he'd be a lot more like JVR just a much better hockey player. He'd be behind Matthews Marner/Nylander and in no way the face of the team.

That being said he's not being traded.

Why would he be playing behind Marner and Nylander? He's better than both right now.

TeamBester

Debunked
Feb 15, 2010
Kingston, Ontario
I don't know if Phil winning the cup twice makes him an experienced leader. Put it this way. It was all lovey dovey in Pittsburgh but the moment they slip they want to get rid of Phil? Doesn't sound like he's an essential member they want to "ride or die" with.

You don't remember the summer after the first cup, or the spitting match he had with Malkin? The vultures were circling and made up a bunch of crap that they were going to dump Phil.

Guess its a story that never tires in Toronto. Its hilarious.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Why would he be playing behind Marner and Nylander? He's better than both right now.

He would be behind them as a face of the team I mean. He was never a leader but before he was the most prominent member of the team, that wouldn't happen today.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
It's fine. Kessel is one of the league's best scorers, and he can help a team win. He's also terrible defensively and his "compete" level is pathetic. All of these things can be true at the same time.

i agree with everything but this is v. true

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
Papi-Willy
Naz-Magic
Bozie-Thrill

Only way I would resign Bozak; If pens can retain 2 mil on Kessel i am game

Anyone - Matthews - Marner
Anyone - Tavares - Nyander
Anyone - Kadri - Kessel
Anyone - Nash - Kappy

- Brown + 1st + + for a dope RD.
- Gardiner for the 1st back.

Rielly - Manson(ish)
DeHaan - Zaitsev
Dermott - (Hainsey, Polak, Carrick, Holl, Ozhiganov, Liljegren?)

WAD........BLOWN.

Reactions: PromisedLand

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
TIL every player that is on a team that wins the cup is flawless. They're all incredible two-way players who will run through a brick wall to make a play and block shots with their face.

Common man. I don't want to harp on Kessel because I don't care about the guy, but I facepalm when I see Leafs fans running to his defense constantly in order to separate themselves from the fact that he was run out of town and then won.

Why does everyone have to be a 2 way player to be a NHLer? Im confused. The objective of the sport is to outscore your opponents. Most of the players you guys idolize were actually trash in 1 area of the rink. Kessel lights the lamp in a game that normally ends, 3-2, so goals are at a premium.

BUt you take a team of Zach Hymans, I'll take a team of Kessels, and I'll beat you 100/100 times.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
This is the spin I am talking about. You can't plan to win a lottery.

You can't plan to win the lottery but you CAN plan to use your draft picks, which they did on Andersen (you have two choices...select a draft pick or trade for an asset but either way, the return on your acquired asset counts), which closes the "best player" gap considerably. I like Phil a lot but Andersen is likely more important to our outcomes than Phil would be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad