HF Habs: Kent Hughes Presser Post-Moneyhands deal

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
i wonder if Hughes kept the retention spot for Savard hes the only one imo that could fetch something good at 50%

Pearson and Allen aint worth nothing maybe a low pick

I kind of agree that Allen isn't worth much, but I still think they want to move him. If for no other reason than to get down to 2 goalies.

Savard can be retained next year, so I wouldn't be shocked to see the retention used on Allen, which might be the only way to trade him at all.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
We need a franchise draft pick , with no real chance at Celebrini, guess we have to look another two years out and suck even more.

Not out of the question we can fall down to that #4-5 slot by the time the season ends. Monahan was one of the only reasons we had a 2nd line that could do anything.

If I was Kent I’d take flyers on Matheson and see what kind of interest there is there. He’s having a career year and he’s locked up with a cheap deal, a deal that will likely expire before we can make any real use of it. If you can get a haul for him and have a shot at making the team slightly worse now, but stretches the usefulness window a bit by acquiring young prospects than it could be worth it for the right return

Reactions: Habs

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I didn't see the retention in the OP, however, I say trade both now.
Got to keep cleaning house.
I don't think Allen has any value unless we retain. I don't think we have a chance at a 1st for Savard unless we retain. I could be wrong. may have to trade one by the TDL and the other in the summer.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
It’s more so because he plays the right side and it can be harder to find a decent stop gap to eat those minutes until we have our prospects fill in. A 20-32 pick isn’t enough to take a chance on creating a hole like that. If it was an unprotected pick a year from now, obviously I’d listen but I don’t see anyone offering us that.
The more I think about the more I think you are right. Hughes took just a 1st for Monahan because of the risk of injury and possibly because there might be more centres available closer to the trade deadline. Savard is not an expiring contract so he will probably hold out for more than a late 2024 1st.

Reactions: jrom and nhlfan9191

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
After watching the press conference carefully, I learned nothing...

Hughes is a former agent who spent most his life negotiating, he is very careful with what he says during press conferences given he doesn't want to show his cards.

His trades for Dach/Newhook were unexpected, he gave no signs to anyone we'd be taking Slaf/Reinbacher and he'll make comments about potentially re-signing guys then he'll end up trading them (he has done this with Chiarot/Kulak/Monahan).

The point being, don't expect Hughes' press conferences to be very informative now or in the future.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
Could see Armia at 50% being a very attractive playoff addition for a team looking to close out games and strengthen their 4th line
I disagree he sucks and overpaid even if one gm would be interested at 50% the return would be bad and we would use a retention spot on him for 1.5 years to get what a 3rd or 4th?

Lets not forget that he cleared waivers not long ago

Reactions: Habs and Canadienna

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Hughes has shown in the past that he will set a price well before the deadline and not move from it very much. We saw that with Toffoli where we was also traded early simply because a team met the asking price early. And the same basically happened with Lehkonen except the point at which a team gave in and paid the asking price was last minute instead of weeks early.

It's likely the same here, the price was set at a 1st or equivalent value prospect, nobody was willing to pay that when Lindholm was still a possibility but once he got dealt the Peg said ok we'll cough up the asking price and voila.

His answer to the Savard trade possibility also fits this theme as does the 3 goalie situation that still hasn't been dealth with.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I was listening to Hughes’s presser on BPM and right after it was done, Laraque and Gonzo ripped into those reporters who were woefully unprepared and asked dumb questions. Worse, some asked the same question that a colleague had just uttered.

The presser lasted some 18 minutes and more juicy details could have been had but the usual dumb-dumbs ruined their opportunity.

Has to be the first time I’ve seen media people rip into fellow media types for wanton stupidity, to the extent Gonzo and Laraque did.

:handclap:

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
I don't think Allen has any value unless we retain. I don't think we have a chance at a 1st for Savard unless we retain. I could be wrong. may have to trade one by the TDL and the other in the summer.
Or use some picks to get some other team to retain on one of them, if you upgrade the pick you are trading in the deal and get them off the books for next year in the process it is a no brainer, same for Armia.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
If the goal is to trade both and you need to retain on both then I think you have to trade Allen at the deadline and Savard over the summer. Savard's value probably doesn't change much if he's sold now or during the summer, but with goalies the market is almost always better at the deadline because in the summer everyone's healthy and you have high hopes for your prospects being able to take a step and make the jump, whereas those things aren't always true at the deadline.

Reactions: Garnet76

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
If the goal is to trade both and you need to retain on both then I think you have to trade Allen at the deadline and Savard over the summer. Savard's value probably doesn't change much if he's sold now or during the summer, but with goalies the market is almost always better at the deadline because in the summer everyone's healthy and you have high hopes for your prospects being able to take a step and make the jump, whereas those things aren't always true at the deadline.

If Savard has trade value, I think it changes a lot from now to the summer. If a team values him, its for two playoff runs and security. There are A LOT of good UFA D-men available this offseason.

Allen has more value right now too, but at the end of the day you retain to optimize value. Whatever works the best. Or use the slot as a 3rd party if no good offers are made/no market is formed.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
If Savard has trade value, I think it changes a lot from now to the summer. If a team values him, its for two playoff runs and security. There are A LOT of good UFA D-men available this offseason.

Allen has more value right now too, but at the end of the day you retain to optimize value. Whatever works the best. Or use the slot as a 3rd party if no good offers are made/no market is formed.
If Savard at 50% right now has the value of a late 2024 1st, I very much doubt that in the summer his value will have dropped just because it's now 1 expected playoff run vs 2. If he doesn't have that value, then I'm not sure it's worth making the trade anyways. Yeah there may be good UFA D available, but many will re-sign with current teams or whoever they get traded to, but there's never enough supply to meet demand when compared to goalies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I suspect Savard's value would be much higher at the TDL.

I don't think Allen will have much value at the TDL 9r the summer anyways.

Or use some picks to get some other team to retain on one of them, if you upgrade the pick you are trading in the deal and get them off the books for next year in the process it is a no brainer, same for Armia.
Yeah but I haven't seen a team take a pick to retain salary on a player for 2 years.

Reactions: Runner77

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I suspect Savard's value would be much higher at the TDL.

I don't think Allen will have much value at the TDL 9r the summer anyways.
Like what are we talking a 1st at the TDL but only a 2nd in the summer?

I feel like there's always teams that want to address their D but strike out with the UFA they really want but would still. And on top of that they are fresh off a playoff loss often times blaming it on a lack of D. So I don't see the market changing that much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad