HF Habs: Kent Hughes Presser Post-Moneyhands deal

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Would you rather:

a) a 1st for Savard, 50% retained.

b) a 2nd or 3rd for Allen, 50% retained.

B by a landslide... Savard is more important to us, both now and heading into next season (with the high-end young d talent we have coming in). Another late 1st and retaining on him doesn''t really tip the scales for me, better for the organization to keep him in-house for now.

Allen, on the other hand, has played that role well, but i think Monty is well ready for the training wheels to be taken off... primeau, or a depth vet ufa, should be sufficient back up next year.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I disagree. He's only 23. Decent mobile defenseman who's OK defensively. That's not "nobody". Teams looking for some depth and mobility on D will value him more than you seem too. And maybe helps tilt a teams hand if part of a multi-player/pick trade. Let's not forget, he was pretty solid over the last couple years. And he's relatively cheap at 1.4 until 24/25.
OK defensively? Guy gets beaten badly by someone faster/stronger/more skilled every game. He might net a mid round pick.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
And isn't much to acquire also
It's actually more to give up than to acquire. Good teams usually draft well and long term, so they can pick someone who isn't necessarily ready but who will work out in time. The teams acquiring the picks are usually out of the playoffs for a reason, and trying to rush a rebuild, so they pick shorter term and worse.

Good teams who draft late tend to way outdo bad teams who acquire late picks.

And I haven't done the specific research, this is from memory... I should spend some time on hockeydb to confirm.

Reactions: Chili

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
OK defensively? Guy gets beaten badly by someone faster/stronger/more skilled every game. He might net a mid round pick.
He's had a rougher year this year. But not like you describe in light of how terrible our entire D has been. I think this is catastrophizing to a degree. He'll get better than a mid round pick (which I assume you mean mid 3rd to 4th), on his own. He can play in the NHL, is relatively young, cheap and still has some upside especially with better pairings. Defensive depth is maybe even more coveted at the TDL than a center. Remember what Chariot obtained? Our entire defense has been a dumpster fire this year. Using your logic, Guhle's value is no more than a 2nd pick.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
No offers were received of a pick AND a prospect, it was either or. He said most teams didn't want to offer a 1st for a pure rental.

They asked for specific prospects, in all cases, they were told not available for a rental.
I like that they did their homework and were ready to talk.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
He's had a rougher year this year. But not like you describe in light of how terrible our entire D has been. I think this is catastrophizing to a degree. He'll get better than a mid round pick (which I assume you mean mid 3rd to 4th), on his own. He can play in the NHL, is relatively young, cheap and still has some upside especially with better pairings. Defensive depth is maybe even more coveted at the TDL than a center. Remember what Chariot obtained? Our entire defense has been a dumpster fire this year. Using your logic, Guhle's value is no more than a 2nd pick.
I agree Harris is good, but Chiarot got more return because he's big and did well in his last playoffs.

Reactions: donghabs98

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Still not sure what he means by "weren't in a position to sign him to a fair contract for him."

Hoping it means if Monahan doesn't get a certain level of dollar in the summer, the door is open for him to come back at a team friendly salary level.
My read of it is that they probably weren't comfortable in offering Monahan the type of contract he wants in order to forgo testing free agency which is fair since if I was Monahan, I'd also ask for something big if it meant resigning with a rebuilding team and not seeing what my value is on the open market.

Its a different situation come summer though. Habs will have a better sense of if there is a need for Monahan to return and how much they should offer him. While for Monahan, he can see all the different options offered to him and do a proper analysis.

Reactions: 26Mats

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
I agree Harris is good, but Chiarot got more return because he's big and did well in his last playoffs.
Oh I understand. I am saying if all we're offered is a mid pick for him, I'd hope we essentially hang up the phone. I'd rather keep him under those circumstances. We all know that mid round picks are close to nothing. You're very unlikely to draft a player that ever plays in the NHL, let alone someone at Harris' level.

Reactions: dcyhabs and Don D

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
B by a landslide... Savard is more important to us, both now and heading into next season (with the high-end young d talent we have coming in). Another late 1st and retaining on him doesn''t really tip the scales for me, better for the organization to keep him in-house for now.

Allen, on the other hand, has played that role well, but i think Monty is well ready for the training wheels to be taken off... primeau, or a depth vet ufa, should be sufficient back up next year.
A. If someone offers a 1st for Savard you have to take it.

Reactions: 26Mats

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

We need to have some vets around. It can’t just be a complete firesale. We can revisit the Savard trade option next year. I’m sure it would have to be a great offer to get Hughes to even listen this season.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Heard the news,learnt something new about that reclusive,repulsive reptile.

38649482-489c-4a80-af38-9f5cb972affb_text.gif

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Chiarot = 1st round pick
Toffoli = 1st round pick
Lehkonen = Barron (recent 1st round pick)
Romanov = 1st round pick
Monahan = 2 1st round picks

Remember the Bergevin days where it seemed so impossible to get a 1st? Lol.
I remember how every offseason Bergy would say big trades are hard and that they dont happen often. All while the GMs around us were busy making big trades...

Bergevin's biggest problem was that he was way too conservative and when he did swing for the fences they were all misses (Drouin trade, Aho offersheet). When top players were on the market, he was never willing to pay up which hurt the team considering the prospects he wouldn't move busted.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
We need to have some vets around. It can’t just be a complete firesale. We can revisit the Savard trade option next year. I’m sure it would have to be a great offer to get Hughes to even listen this season.
They have Matheson. Can always sign a vet UFA defenseman. I doubt Hughes would pass up a 1st for Savard (especially if it's team that might not end up top 10 at the end of the year.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I remember how every offseason Bergy would say big trades are hard and that they dont happen often. All while the GMs around us were busy making big trades...

Bergevin's biggest problem was that he was way too conservative and when he did swing for the fences they were all misses (Drouin trade, Aho offersheet). When top players were on the market, he was never willing to pay up which hurt the team considering the prospects he wouldn't move busted.
Frame this.

Dude wasted the prime years of Subban, Price, Pacioretty, Gallagher (yes Gallagher, dude was tough as f*** to play against when he wasnt falling apart).

Christ, we had two number one d-men in Subban and Markov, backed by Price. They even added an effective Petry. We did nothing to support Eller and Plekanec down the middle. For f*** sakes I hate thinking of what was wasted.

Oh and Therrien was the coach. FFS. UGH, f*** that era,

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

I wonder if some GM's wouldn't have anything to do with BargainBin.

Reactions: donghabs98

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
They have Matheson. Can always sign a vet UFA defenseman. I doubt Hughes would pass up a 1st for Savard (especially if it's team that might not end up top 10 at the end of the year.
It’s more so because he plays the right side and it can be harder to find a decent stop gap to eat those minutes until we have our prospects fill in. A 20-32 pick isn’t enough to take a chance on creating a hole like that. If it was an unprotected pick a year from now, obviously I’d listen but I don’t see anyone offering us that.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: