HF Habs: Kent Hughes Presser Post-Moneyhands deal

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
It was always his plan to trade Monahan. He would have done it last year if he stayed healthy.

It's just like the dadonov situation. Picking up a vet on an expiring contract and trying to build value into them for magic beans in the future.
Yeah exactly
For people who are like "wtf why did they trade him so early we had all month to drive up price!"
2 things

1. Kent obviously knows more about the phone calls with other GMs than we do lol, we can all speculate what Sean could of been worth and thats fun and all, but Kent KNOWS what he was worth by all the GMs offers he was getting
If his Price was met, he was pulling the trigger
2. Why this early? Lol because obviously Kent wanted to do this LAST year but it blew up In his face because Sean got hurt and we couldn't trade him so our TDL turned pretty lackluster

In Kent's mind, this is all probably a minor MIRACLE he was able to pull this off considering he actually WENT through the actual OTHER side of the possibilities of getting anything for Sean 'oh well, the plan to trade Sean didn't work out last year and we got 0, but still that 1st for taking him.... but I wonder... if I could try again...?'
Signs Money cheap, tries again, price got met, risk another month of Sean getting hurt and the return being 0 again?

Hence why he is a Jet today not in 3 weeks

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
why can't we tank on a really good draft year?
I know you're probably stuck on only knowing about Celibrini and how we're not getting him
That's fine, he's good but it's not like missing out on Bedard

But i am telling you, The kid we'll be taking at 4 or 5 this year will MORE than make up for missing out on Carlsson Fantilli Smith and michkov last year
It's gonna be just fine

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I know you're probably stuck on only knowing about Celibrini and how we're not getting him

But i am telling you, The kid we'll be taking at 4 or 5 this year will MORE than make up for missing out on Carlsson Fantilli Smith and michkov last year
It's gonna be just fine
hey that's good to now, I really haven't heard much about the other guys. Hope we can fall to bottom 5 at least. Shouldn't be a problem with Nick C on 3 lines now

Reactions: Redux91

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Yes, if we trade Allen, instead of retaining salary we could take back a bad contract.

But do we really need another dman comong back. All of the following need to play:

Matheson Struble
Guhle Barron
Xhekaj Harris
Kovacevic
I would be shocked if Harris and Barron are Habs next year

Reactions: Runner77

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

I haven't watched recently, so not sure why everyone was down on Barron and why he was sent down. I liked his play earlier in the year.

Barron has to tighten up his game if he's going to he a part of the future. Harris I don't see as part of the future. But I don't think either have much trade value right now. I'd rather take the 1st if it's offered for Savard than sell low on Barron and Harris.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I haven't watched recently, so not sure why everyone was down on Barron and why he was sent down. I liked his play earlier in the year.

Barron has to tighten up his game if he's going to he a part of the future. Harris I don't see as part of the future. But I don't think either have much trade value right now. I'd rather take the 1st if it's offered for Savard than sell low on Barron and Harris.
I’m hoping Barron’s demotion brings out a sense of urgency in his play. 3-point game (1G, 2A) for him yesterday, maybe he’ll turn the corner.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

I doubt they will trade Harris, unless it's a hockey deal.

I think with barron, they are probably slightly disappointed at this stage, but again, it's early, and this management doesn't strike me as one who let go of their prospects very easily, even if they struggle.

Primeau would be a good example of what I'm talking about. Struble as well although he is a bit of a different case but still shows how quickly a player's stock can change.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I doubt they will trade Harris, unless it's a hockey deal.

I think with barron, they are probably slightly disappointed at this stage, but again, it's early, and this management doesn't strike me as one who let go of their prospects very easily, even if they struggle.

Primeau would be a good example of what I'm talking about. Struble as well although he is a bit of a different case but still shows how quickly a player's stock can change.
One thing for sure, we have too many young Dmen.....................this is a pleasant problem. I like all our young Dmen, and there is two more coming for next year, in Hutson and maybe Mailloux.

Scoring goals, now that's a real problem, so we all see what needs to be done!!

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
The Jets lost another young dman on waivers this week, the price for stockpiling them (which with all the injuries across the league, not a bad idea). The Habs will run into this issue soon, they did already lose Lindstrom, although he looked to be just a depth guy.

Will make for some interesting decisions, wouldn't be surprised to see the Habs carry 8 dmen on the roster to avoid losing someone for nothing, when the time comes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deus ex machina

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
One thing for sure, we have too many young Dmen.....................this is a pleasant problem. I like all our young Dmen, and there is two more coming for next year, in Hutson and maybe Mailloux.

Scoring goals, now that's a real problem, so we all see what needs to be done!!
Scoring is a problem...
Kent will fix this

Reactions: BLONG7

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011

It's gonna be just fine
We have this kid playing in the city where I live, he's eligible in next years draft, cousin to McD. That's whom I would be thinking about.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Yeah exactly
For people who are like "wtf why did they trade him so early we had all month to drive up price!"
2 things

1. Kent obviously knows more about the phone calls with other GMs than we do lol, we can all speculate what Sean could of been worth and thats fun and all, but Kent KNOWS what he was worth by all the GMs offers he was getting
If his Price was met, he was pulling the trigger
2. Why this early? Lol because obviously Kent wanted to do this LAST year but it blew up In his face because Sean got hurt and we couldn't trade him so our TDL turned pretty lackluster

In Kent's mind, this is all probably a minor MIRACLE he was able to pull this off considering he actually WENT through the actual OTHER side of the possibilities of getting anything for Sean 'oh well, the plan to trade Sean didn't work out last year and we got 0, but still that 1st for taking him.... but I wonder... if I could try again...?'
Signs Money cheap, tries again, price got met, risk another month of Sean getting hurt and the return being 0 again?

Hence why he is a Jet today not in 3 weeks
Best to trade him now. Might gained a little if waited until March 8th, but weighted against the risk of Monahan going down to injury not worth waiting.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Best to trade him now. Might gained a little if waited until March 8th, but weighted against the risk of Monahan going down to injury not worth waiting.
Exactly. How much more could they get. No one was willing to trade a good prospect so maybe 5% chance some GM panics at the deadline and offers a good prospect. More likely the best they would do is a 1st and a 3rd or 4th with no conditions. Not worth the risk and there is a chance the Jets 1st could be better than expected if they suffer some injuries or fade since there is over 2 months left in the season.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Exactly. How much more could they get. No one was willing to trade a good prospect so maybe 5% chance some GM panics at the deadline and offers a good prospect. More likely the best they would do is a 1st and a 3rd or 4th with no conditions. Not worth the risk and there is a chance the Jets 1st could be better than expected if they suffer some injuries or fade since there is over 2 months left in the season.
I genuinely would have been very paranoid if Monahan kept playing till the deadline knowing our and his injury luck. Considering what happened with us last year (Monahan and Edmundson), I'd happy take a 1st now than wait for an additional low pick.

Reactions: Redux91

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

It's gonna be just fine
Habs didn't have the option to draft Carlsson, Fantilli, and Smith. However, we chose not to draft Michkov. Time will tell if that decision was wise or the latest in a series of drafting fails. It's been so long since we've drafted a star player I'll have to see it before I believe it.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Habs didn't have the option to draft Carlsson, Fantilli, and Smith. However, we chose not to draft Michkov. Time will tell if that decision was wise or the latest in a series of drafting fails. It's been so long since we've drafted a star player I'll have to see it before I believe it.

But here's the other thing.. the Habs have been pretty blessed to go from Subban to Weber as far as having a top pair right handed defenseman. So we take for granted how hard it is to get one of those.

Star forwards are hard to get, we know that.. but they also know a top pairing RD is hard to get, which we might not understand. So they went for the D and it may be the right choice, regardless of Michkov's talent level.. he did make more of an effort to impress Philly than any other team and the smoke about how good of a person/teammate he is, is too thick to ignore and the culture of the room is something they are very aware of.

And the culture of the room is important, anyone who has played on teams know how quickly a team can dissolve when star players are f***ing dickheads that no one wants to be around.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
But here's the other thing.. the Habs have been pretty blessed to go from Subban to Weber as far as having a top pair right handed defenseman. So we take for granted how hard it is to get one of those.

Star forwards are hard to get, we know that.. but they also know a top pairing RD is hard to get, which we might not understand. So they went for the D and it may be the right choice, regardless of Michkov's talent level.. he did make more of an effort to impress Philly than any other team and the smoke about how good of a person/teammate he is, is too thick to ignore and the culture of the room is something they are very aware of.

And the culture of the room is important, anyone who has played on teams know how quickly a team can dissolve when star players are f***ing dickheads that no one wants to be around.
Solid points about the value of culture. However, you don't enter a rebuild just to draft culture. We need top talent in addition to character, and if we don't get it after three consecutive top-10 picks (including 2024), I'm worried we might end up no further along than we were under Bergevin. Slaf's developing nicely, Reinbacher may be great. Trading for Kirby Dach was a masterstroke, IMO. I'd be thrilled if HuGo pulled another one of those moves. But while he's drafting projects and playing 4D chess with trades, wouldn't it be nice to draft a star forward.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I'm worried we might end up no further along than we were under Bergevin.
If the "rebuild" years bring us to the level of team that we had during Bergevin's early years I kind of feel like that should be considered a successful rebuild. Yes those teams were a step below being contenders but they were basically 1 star forward away from being legitimate contenders. And so really the failure was that we basically never tried to pay the price needed to get that missing forward. Most teams are going to need to make a trade or UFA signing to help them go from good to contender status, so if the rebuild brings us to the point where we are just 1 star player away then it's a successful rebuild that just needs that extra push all GMs have to do to get their teams over the hump.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
If the "rebuild" years bring us to the level of team that we had during Bergevin's early years I kind of feel like that should be considered a successful rebuild. Yes those teams were a step below being contenders but they were basically 1 star forward away from being legitimate contenders. And so really the failure was that we basically never tried to pay the price needed to get that missing forward. Most teams are going to need to make a trade or UFA signing to help them go from good to contender status, so if the rebuild brings us to the point where we are just 1 star player away then it's a successful rebuild that just needs that extra push all GMs have to do to get their teams over the hump.
Time-travel Hughes into the GM chair a decade ago with our 2014 roster and, yeah, I'm confident he could add the missing piece Bergevin was never able to do. However, in this temporal reality, he first needs to bring today's roster up to the talent level we had a decade ago. Then he needs to take it further. I like Hughes, but his boldness and vision won't be enough if we don't hit a homerun or triple with our rebuild draft picks.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Solid points about the value of culture. However, you don't enter a rebuild just to draft culture. We need top talent in addition to character, and if we don't get it after three consecutive top-10 picks (including 2024), I'm worried we might end up no further along than we were under Bergevin. Slaf's developing nicely, Reinbacher may be great. Trading for Kirby Dach was a masterstroke, IMO. I'd be thrilled if HuGo pulled another one of those moves. But while he's drafting projects and playing 4D chess with trades, wouldn't it be nice to draft a star forward.

This probably ties into culture as well, but this talk around michkov wanting to go to Philly and kind of being cryptic in other team interviews is concerning as well.

Only michkov and the teams know how much truth there was to this, but it just adds another layer of complications to pick him and when you add all the layers together, you also have to start evaluating whether those cumulative barriers are worth taking a chance on.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

It would be and hopefully we can do it this year.. but I can't blame them for deciding that Michkov wasn't -the star forward- for them and decided that getting the Right Shot Defenseman who is a culture fit and still plays a coveted, hard to fill position was the better play than another smaller skilled forward in the top 6, with no control for 3 years and negative character reports from coaches and teammates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad