HF Habs: Kent Hughes Presser Post-Moneyhands deal

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Like what are we talking a 1st at the TDL but only a 2nd in the summer?

I feel like there's always teams that want to address their D but strike out with the UFA they really want but would still. And on top of that they are fresh off a playoff loss often times blaming it on a lack of D. So I don't see the market changing that much.
1sts seem to be traded at a shockingly high rate at the TDL. Teams are thinking more about the immediate playoffs, and their players' desire to ice the most competitive team possible, than their future years, I suspect. Whereas at the draft and the aftermath, teams are thinking more about building their team long term, I suspect.

Reactions: BLONG7 and Runner77

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Well at least we don't have to keep an eye on the deadline anymore lol. Pearson maybe for a late pick although we do need warm bodies to play anyways. Allen potentially but not sure why a team would give up an asset when he has another year left. Kovacevic's recent poor play made it more worthwhile to keep him.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Well at least we don't have to keep an eye on the deadline anymore lol. Pearson maybe for a late pick although we do need warm bodies to play anyways. Allen potentially but not sure why a team would give up an asset when he has another year left. Kovacevic's recent poor play made it more worthwhile to keep him.
Yep
Not much for the Habs now...
Maybe a 5th or 7th round pick

CAUFIELD

Oct 16, 2015
I don’t see why a team would like Pearson for the playoffs . He’s done

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

Maybe Harris or Struble or Xhekaj
We have one retention spot, so we might also get value from there.
Dare I dream.....Armia at 50% ?

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I wouldn’t commit more then 1 year to someone with his injury history even if I like the player.
It was always his plan to trade Monahan. He would have done it last year if he stayed healthy.

It's just like the dadonov situation. Picking up a vet on an expiring contract and trying to build value into them for magic beans in the future.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Still not sure what he means by "weren't in a position to sign him to a fair contract for him."

Hoping it means if Monahan doesn't get a certain level of dollar in the summer, the door is open for him to come back at a team friendly salary level.

It's a nice way of saying their compeitive window won't be aligning with monahan's.

I haven't seen the presser, but I wouldn't be surprised if they had a handshake agreement with Monahan to let him go to a contender if the opportunity arises.

It's a win for Hughes, and it's a win for Monahan.

Reactions: Walrus26

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
1sts seem to be traded at a shockingly high rate at the TDL. Teams are thinking more about the immediate playoffs, and their players' desire to ice the most competitive team possible, than their future years, I suspect. Whereas at the draft and the aftermath, teams are thinking more about building their team long term, I suspect.
Teams also don't want to trade a 1st only to end up one of the worst teams in the NHL...ie 1st for Dvorak. At the deadline, you have a better idea where you are going to be at seasons end.

Reactions: 26Mats

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Suzuki wasn't who he wanted in that trade - he wanted Glass! Vegas said no. So thank Vegas for being stupid.
I never really understood this mindset. He still clearly thought Suzuki was good enough as the main piece in a Pacioretty trade.

Glass was arguably the best prospect in hockey at that time too.

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
5wz9W0.gif

I forgot about him! Long live Californication!

Reactions: overlords

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
With Moneyhands gone what will Suzuki play now... 40 minutes per game? Imagine that center lineup if Nick get injured too? Lol...

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I think Hughes will try to trade Allen for a vet dman so we can trade one of Matheson/Savard at some point.
Yes, if we trade Allen, instead of retaining salary we could take back a bad contract.

But do we really need another dman comong back. All of the following need to play:

Matheson Struble
Guhle Barron
Xhekaj Harris
Kovacevic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad