HF Habs: Kent Hughes Presser Post-Moneyhands deal

CAUFIELD

Oct 16, 2015
I think we keep Savard

Kovacevic traded for a low 2nd round pick; capable 3rd pair RD signed for another year at 750 000. Plays PK. I could see a lot of cap strapped teams interested. For example, Kovy could help the oilers a lot by taking the place of Desharnais.

I also see Allen traded with 50 % retention for a 3rd. We really don’t need Allen, even if the return is a skinny 3rd .

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Would you rather:

a) a 1st for Savard, 50% retained.

b) a 2nd or 3rd for Allen, 50% retained.

b

Savard provides value to the young team through leadership and eating minutes.

Allen is just complicating the goalie rotation and takes starts away from Monty and Primeau.

No teams want him, he's close to a nobody.

That's false.. there's a litany of NHL teams who would love to have a Jordan Harris, at his age and cap hit, playing defense on their teams.

Are you aware of some of the plugs playing defense for contending teams because of their cap situation?

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
Would you rather:

a) a 1st for Savard, 50% retained.

b) a 2nd or 3rd for Allen, 50% retained.
B for me.

Savard has provided great value this year, he’s not perfect, but might be a perfect vet for this version of the Habs, on the ice and in the locker room.

Explore trading him next season, unless of course the offer you can’t say no to comes along.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
b

Savard provides value to the young team through leadership and eating minutes.

Allen is just complicating the goalie rotation and takes starts away from Monty and Primeau.

That's false.. there's a litany of NHL teams who would love to have a Jordan Harris, at his age and cap hit, playing defense on their teams.

Are you aware of some of the plugs playing defense for contending teams because of their cap situation?
Harris would be a plug for them just the same.

Reactions: Nicko999 and Wats

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Upside doesn't really play on the ice, so maybe he moves in the off-season, but I'd be surprised. We'll see.

Kovacevic has higher chances of moving imho.

I'm not saying they will move him but if they wanted to, they could, and they'd get good value.

He's an NHL defenseman, he's a valuable NHL defenseman, he has a lot of good qualities on and off the ice.. he's young and he fits on any salary cap in the NHL.

Those players have value.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Still don't understand how Hughes got Calgary to accept that deal to take Monahan in first place.

Looks like the 3rd in this deal is just for show. 2024 and 2025 1sts to rent Monahan for one and a half years.

Reactions: Andy

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
B for me as well.

Savard will fetch a 1st next season. However, he may also be tradeable without retention now or next year as his contract is relatively cheap.
I would trade Savard now if the opportunity presents itself. I don't want to risk Savard getting injured or experiencing a decline in play. Plus I want the young guys to be in the top 6 in Montreal next year, like Struble and Barron.

Montreal:
Matheson - Guhle
Struble - Barron
Xhekaj - Harris
Kovacevic or other #7

Laval:
Hutson - Reinbacher
Engstrom - Mailloux
Trudeau - AHL VET

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Still don't understand how Hughes got Calgary to accept that deal to take Monahan in first place.

Looks like the 3rd in this deal is just for show. 2024 and 2025 1sts to rent Monahan for one and a half years.
And I would think he had a good impact on the young players.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014

I feel like teams are/were not confident in replacement surgeries. So Monahan's value really dropped off to the point Calgary thought they were just getting rid of a warm body.

Reactions: Barriwhite and jrom

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
No teams want him, he's close to a nobody.
I disagree. He's only 23. Decent mobile defenseman who's OK defensively. That's not "nobody". Teams looking for some depth and mobility on D will value him more than you seem too. And maybe helps tilt a teams hand if part of a multi-player/pick trade. Let's not forget, he was pretty solid over the last couple years. And he's relatively cheap at 1.4 until 24/25.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad