Rumor: Karlsson, Pitlick, Hamaliuk, SJS 2026 3rd to Pens | Pens 2024 1st, Granlund, Rutta & Hoffman to SJS | Petry, DeSmith, Legare, & Pens 2025 2nd to Habs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I was right about the return. I told SJ fans they weren't getting a haul. Nice to be vindicated a day after making that argument lol
I've been saying that for weeks. They retained less but we got a 3rd in 2026, I'll take that, we'll need extra picks right about then. lol

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Meh sharks have 3 1sts next year + a shit team and likely a ton of cap space.

I think granlund will be flipped when he’s coming up on ufa and get solid value.

I don’t mind it for San Jose…. I think it’s less value than they prob hoped for but there’s a good chance pitt misses playoffs and sharks end up with a good asset from it. Also gives a clear direction for sharks.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Certain Sharks fans with (rather predictable) egg on their face now. The first round pick they got is maybe worth dumping Granlund plus the $1.5M retention on Karlsson.

In other words, EK had net-zero value. As you were told, repeatedly, for months.
I disagree.

Take a look at what Pittsburgh actually gave up to get him. Pittsburgh gave up a 1st, 2nd, prospect and 4 roster players for Karlsson. They just needed to give some of those assets to another team to make the $ work. Karlsson still clearly had value though.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
My thoughts:

Unlikely Karlsson ever has a season like last year again. Prior to last year, he was seen as an injury prone cap dump. If his health issues follow him to the Penguins, this trade is ok for clearing space but it becomes a problem for their window in that it basically slams it shut.

Karlsson at 10M and Jarry making over 15 on the cap is insanity. Looks great on paper but if I learned anything from Dubas, these have a way of going south and people will say it was terrible all along.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Lol....some more sour grapes

A team that make the playoffs for 16 consecutive seasons and missed last year by a game who had some terrible injuries on the backend to all their defensemen for at least 1/3 of the season isn't in playoff talks.

EK himself said he wanted to go to a playoff team. A guy who is the best offensive Dman this decade but because @Divine says they aren't the Pens arent a playoff team. Thanks for the Sunday comics brother

A team that misses the playoffs is not a playoff team. Sorry to break it to you.

I agree, they used to be a playoff team at one point. Last season they couldn’t beat the tanking Blackhawks with their playoffs on the line though.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I disagree.

Take a look at what Pittsburgh actually gave up to get him. Pittsburgh gave up a 1st, 2nd, prospect and 4 roster players for Karlsson. They just needed to give some of those assets to another team to make the $ work. Karlsson still clearly had value though.

The fact Dubas got rid of those four roster players almost makes makes me happier than getting Karlsson.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Montreal leached off FOUR assets from Pittsburgh without giving up anything of value nor retaining salary AND they got rid of Hoffman

Explain this to me
I see one actual asset. I don't think Petry/Desmith carry much value.

They got a 2nd for taking on salary.

Reactions: TS Quint

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Holy ever-loving shit. I can't believe it happened and even moreso I can't believe I like the specifics of the trade. I love ditching the players I hated as much as I love acquiring Karlsson.
Exactly. I'm over the moon about seeing EK in Pittsburgh. The fact that we never have to see CDS, Petry or Granlund again is a miracle.

I think all things considered SJS are going to fill their warchest with futures. Good trade in the end for them, but damn I expected the Pens to get burned ALOT more for this move.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
My thoughts:

Unlikely Karlsson ever has a season like last year again. Prior to last year, he was seen as an injury prone cap dump. If his health issues follow him to the Penguins, this trade is ok for clearing space but it becomes a problem for their window in that it basically slams it shut.

Karlsson at 10M and Jarry making over 15 on the cap is insanity. Looks great on paper but if I learned anything from Dubas, these have a way of going south and people will say it was terrible all along.
Lol @ Jarry making 15 on the cap.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
It is rare that we get a full 3 team trade these days and even rarer one like this. I think this is a bad trade all already.
SJ a team that needs to rebuild got a bunch of older players for Karlsson.
Pittsburgh traded a bunch of depth for Karlsson who is very talented offensively but a trainwreck is his own zone. With Pittsburgh's average at best goaltending and already meh defense this isn't going to help.
Montreal as usual traded an overpriced older player for an even pricier older player and meh backup goalie.

Losers all around on this one.

Reactions: wetcoast

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519
Meh sharks have 3 1sts next year + a shit team and likely a ton of cap space.

I think granlund will be flipped when he’s coming up on ufa and get solid value.

I don’t mind it for San Jose…. I think it’s less value than they prob hoped for but there’s a good chance pitt misses playoffs and sharks end up with a good asset from it. Also gives a clear direction for sharks.
Just glad we don't retain 50 percent like some were predicting

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Wonder what happen with Petry now.
Habs reporter says he'll be dealt, either before the season, or at the deadline.

Screenshot_20230806_115323_X.jpg

From Eric Engels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad