Rumor: Karlsson, Pitlick, Hamaliuk, SJS 2026 3rd to Pens | Pens 2024 1st, Granlund, Rutta & Hoffman to SJS | Petry, DeSmith, Legare, & Pens 2025 2nd to Habs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
I dont undertstand why the Pens would go for him. They are declining and need to start thinking about a rebuild/retool within the next couple years. If they trade for him they will be trading away a 1st and what little top prospect(s) they have. It would set them back really far long term. Not to mention it definitely doesn’t make them a Stanley Cup contenders either.
Why wouldn’t the Pens give it a shot?

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
According to Rossi, San Jose likes Pettersson as a part of the Karlsson deal but the Penguins aren't comfortable including him. Pettersson is a legitimately valuable defenseman, so including him would be really challenging. But if the Penguins can find a Petry for LD swap somewhere (maybe Petry to Detroit for Chiarot?), I wouldn't have any issues with including Pettersson in a Karlsson deal.

Just spitballing, I imagine that would be something like:

Penguins get Karlsson at $8.5 million
Sharks get Pettersson, Granlund, 2024 1st and a conditional 2025 1st

That would leave the Penguins 2nd pair as Chiarot-Karlsson after the Petry for Chiarot swap.
Awful. Can't have a 7th dman be in your top 4.

Trading Pettersson makes zero sense and puts a giant hole on the LD.

Atleast Petry is still a top 4 Dman. So I'd rather just stick with what we have rather than ruin the left side's depth.

thehoffs

Jul 4, 2023
How would it set them back "really far long term"?

They're not going to be rebuilding until after Crosby and Malkin retire, and they're not going to waste the last few years with Crosby and Malkin to add prospects now. They're going to bottom out after Crosby and Malkin leave and that's when the rebuild will start.
Let me understand this.

They will bottom out “AFTER” SID and GINO retire?

So explain…

What the F has the most recent performance been????

If this is not bottoming out what is bottoming out.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Let me understand this.

So explain…

Take a look at Chicago and Anaheim to see what Bottoming out looks like.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Let me understand this.

So explain…

The are not going into rebuild for at least 2 more years, probably 3. The Pens bottom 6 shit the bed big time last year and is the main reason why they didn’t get into the playoffs ahead of the Isles and Florida.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Re-read what I said. This time, read all of it. Thanks.
Now what? The rebuild has not started and it will not start if Crosby or Malkin gets injured this season. If any of them gets injured, the Penguins will try to compete for a playoff spot in 24/25 regardless.

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
Let me understand this.

So explain…

Recent performances—
6-7 years ago — Won Cup
5 years ago — Lost in 2nd round to eventual champ
3-4 years ago — Pathetic 1st round performances
1-2 years ago — Out-goalied by Shesterkin and Sorokin
Past year — Missed by 1 point. Sid and Geno finished as 16th and 26th scorers despite a lame PP. Top6 was good—all other aspects of team were meh to bad.

You’re welcome!

Reactions: GoldenSeal

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Recent performances—
6-7 years ago — Won Cup
5 years ago — Lost in 2nd round to eventual champ
3-4 years ago — Pathetic 1st round performances
1-2 years ago — Out-goalied by Shesterkin and Sorokin
Past year — Missed by 1 point. Sid and Geno finished as 16th and 26th scorers despite a lame PP. Top6 was good—all other aspects of team were meh to bad.

You’re welcome!
Thank you for actually paying attention unlike some others.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
How would it set them back "really far long term"?

They're not going to be rebuilding until after Crosby and Malkin retire, and they're not going to waste the last few years with Crosby and Malkin to add prospects now. They're going to bottom out after Crosby and Malkin leave and that's when the rebuild will start.
I guess, but i just dont think getting him moves the needle enough for them to become anywhere near contenders. I mean they missed the playoffs last year and their stars arent getting better as another year older.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I guess, but i just dont think getting him moves the needle enough for them to become anywhere near contenders. I mean they missed the playoffs last year and their stars arent getting better as another year older.

Even if they wanted to rebuild, the Penguins are locked into so many NTCs and NMCs that it would be really difficult for them to actually become bad. Their best bet is just going all-in on the remaining years, which likely won't result in another cup but it's better than just toiling in mediocrity.

The Penguins had a fork in the path in the 2022 off-season where they could either start the retool/rebuild or keep the core together. They kept the core together, so they need to keep going down that path at this point. No one will be able to say whether it was a good decision or not until the core retires, but they basically locked themselves into going that route due to the off-season last year.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Even if they wanted to rebuild, the Penguins are locked into so many NTCs and NMCs that it would be really difficult for them to actually become bad. Their best bet is just going all-in on the remaining years, which likely won't result in another cup but it's better than just toiling in mediocrity.

The Penguins had a fork in the path in the 2022 off-season where they could either start the retool/rebuild or keep the core together. They kept the core together, so they need to keep going down that path at this point. No one will be able to say whether it was a good decision or not until the core retires, but they basically locked themselves into going that route due to the off-season last year.
Damn, fast typer! Haha. But i see what you’re saying, they pretty much have to go for it now still with the contracts they signed in 22.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
IMG_0153.jpeg

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Reactions: Sota Popinski

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
The are not going into rebuild for at least 2 more years, probably 3. The Pens bottom 6 shit the bed big time last year and is the main reason why they didn’t get into the playoffs ahead of the Isles and Florida.
The thing is even if the bottom 6 is better will it be enough for the age related decline that will happen to some degree among their big 3 in Crosby, Malkin and Letang?

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
But at that time our stars were still in their primes, that's not the case anymore. BIG difference.

Yeah well...What does Chad Ruhwedel think ?

You do everything you can to get Crosby,Letang and Malkin one more cup before their era ends. And try to get Karlsson his first cup. If he repeats his 100+ pt season next year, the Pens will likely contend for the presidents trophy.

Last edited:

thehoffs

Jul 4, 2023
They’ve won the division 2 times in 11 years.

thehoffs

Jul 4, 2023
Shall we now discuss the $$$.

Oddly “Letang” approves yet the best and easiest way to get Karlsson would include both Granlund AND Letang.

I don’t get Pittsburgh they think they are competing with the team in front of them now?

Making the same mistake as the Flames. Let’s not trade Iginla year after year.

If they pulled the Trigger Sid will return a haul.

I feel bad for Pittsburgh as to me they are the only team in the league stuck worse than Calgary.

I do think Edmonton will be stuck beyond any level of repair once they float McD and Drai $32 combined.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
You do everything you can to get Crosby,Letang and Malkin one more cup before their era ends. And try to get Karlsson his first cup. If he repeats his 100+ pt season next year, the Pens will likely contend for the presidents trophy.
I don't agree with that whatsoever. Do I think we will be a playoff team? Probably, beyond that I think it's rather murky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad