Rumor: Karlsson, Pitlick, Hamaliuk, SJS 2026 3rd to Pens | Pens 2024 1st, Granlund, Rutta & Hoffman to SJS | Petry, DeSmith, Legare, & Pens 2025 2nd to Habs

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdsmack267

Sep 11, 2010
Rochester, NY
I feel like this trade won't happen and will be delayed to next year when the cap should rise by a bit.
Lot of risk involved with that.

If EK plays this season San Jose risks him getting injured or play regressing and coming back down to earth. If he gets hurt they could have zero teams interested next year at his current cap hit. Cant imagine ownership would be happy to pay that money when they had an out this summer.

Plus its obvious San Jose is committed to a rebuild and will do good by the player and trade him since he has requested a trade.

biblihockey

Mar 15, 2022
Shawinigan
hockeyblog.me
Lot of risk involved with that.

If EK plays this season San Jose risks him getting injured or play regressing and coming back down to earth. If he gets hurt they could have zero teams interested next year at his current cap hit. Cant imagine ownership would be happy to pay that money when they had an out this summer.

Plus its obvious San Jose is committed to a rebuild and will do good by the player and trade him since he has requested a trade.
i agree with you. i would trade him asap.

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
New thread for Karlsson news. Try and keep this one on topic please.

Per Friedman:

Oh, yay. There's finally "news" in this long saga.

giphy.gif

:eyeroll:

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
I feel like this trade won't happen and will be delayed to next year when the cap should rise by a bit.
Lol no, contrary to popular belief not all trades have to wait for 6+ months or the deadline to happen

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
They missed by a point, I think Erik Karlsson gets them a point.

Hell Reilly Smith probably gets them a point.

pens lost to hawks to miss the playoffs. if pens need EK to beat the hawks (lotto team) they have more issues than initially imagined

Maybe someone in this thread can explain in what world that Karlsson to the Canes makes an ounce of sense...

I still cannot figure it out.

apparently the rumour mill says that Pesce is going to be dealt

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
pens lost to hawks to miss the playoffs. if pens need EK to beat the hawks (lotto team) they have more issues than initially imagined
Penguins didn't miss the Playoffs because they lost to the Hawks, they missed the Playoffs cause they lost to a lot of teams that they should have easily beat. Plus they blew something like 13 third period leads.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Penguins didn't miss the Playoffs because they lost to the Hawks, they missed the Playoffs cause they lost to a lot of teams that they should have easily beat. Plus they blew something like 13 third period leads.

EK is not the player known to be able to "protect" 3rd period leads btw. if Sully was running a turtle system thats on coaching

TheStatican

Mar 14, 2012
The guy that will be 39 years old that last season on his contract after Crosby plays out his remaining 2? Way more likely the Pens will be forwarding his checks to Russia with him on LTIR than him playing meaningful hockey in Pitts. Pens are old and already teetering on the edge of the cliff much less worrying about 3 seasons out.
You really think Crosby is going to retire at 37 if he's still a point a game player while the team still contends for a playoff spot?

Unless Pens can find a third partner for Petry and move granlund, no deal. Plus SJ has to eat 3 million per.
download (11).jpeg

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Maybe someone in this thread can explain in what world that Karlsson to the Canes makes an ounce of sense...

Even if Karlsson can't aid the forwards in improving in transition, he can still make an impact walking the line and making plays in Carolina's retrieve, point shot, repeat game.

3 additional seasons (after 23-24) of Karlsson better fits the team's risk tendencies than 8 additional years of Pesce as well.

The interest is logical in that way. The level of is the question mark, Perhaps this is a case of San Jose identifying something it liked in scouting during the Meier sweepstakes and the Canes still sniffing around for a good deal.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
EK is not the player known to be able to "protect" 3rd period leads btw. if Sully was running a turtle system thats on coaching
He may not be known for protecting leads (kind of a silly thing to lay at an individual when defense is a team thing) but more offense means more opportunities for leads and more opportunities tends to lead to more positive outcomes in this context.

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
I would really like to see him in Pens, give Crosby that final straw to go for the cup. The thing is they need at least 1 more good winger to push after Karlsson. And where does that cap space come if they get him? Who's out?

And what will the thing with Letang be? He's been their #1 dude for how long and for how many cups? Now you gonna bring in EK and push Letang to PP2? I'm not saying i know Letang, but if it was me i would tell everyone to f*** off.

Reactions: Fatass

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I would really like to see him in Pens, give Crosby that final straw to go for the cup. The thing is they need at least 1 more good winger to push after Karlsson. And where does that cap space come if they get him? Who's out?

And what will the thing with Letang be? He's been their #1 dude for how long and for how many cups? Now you gonna bring in EK and push Letang to PP2? I'm not saying i know Letang, but if it was me i would tell everyone to f*** off.
It’s t it most likely there is one team interested in EK (not the Pens) and the Sharks aren’t happy with the offer they’re getting so they are floating out there’s more teams interested?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Sure yes, i was just commenting on the Penguings possibility.
It just seems that EK isn’t really a fit (with Letang already there) a good fit in Pittsburgh. Plus, I don’t know if EK okays the way Sullivan wants?

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
It just seems that EK isn’t really a fit (with Letang already there) a good fit in Pittsburgh. Plus, I don’t know if EK okays the way Sullivan wants?
I don't know why people don't think EK can play well within a system, he had his best playoff year under Boucher's notoriously defense-first system

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Karlsson fits the Penguins system miles better than he fits Carolina's system. I don't know why people would be questioning Karlsson's fit in Pittsburgh, both will be on PP1 (Letang will slide to the left half wall and Rakell will be bumped off of the top unit) and both will be offensive drivers for their pairs with a responsible DFD.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Maybe they're trying to go all-in in an attempt to get over the hump. :dunno:

Aho/Necas/TT/Skjei/Pesce/Jarvis are all in the last year of their contracts and theres no guarantee the Canes will be able to retain all of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad