Rumor: Karlsson, Pitlick, Hamaliuk, SJS 2026 3rd to Pens | Pens 2024 1st, Granlund, Rutta & Hoffman to SJS | Petry, DeSmith, Legare, & Pens 2025 2nd to Habs

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
Carolina seems like a odd spot makes more sense to give that money to Pesce. I think pitt is the only one that makes sense. My guess is the return is way lower then what SJS wants, but they are smart enough to know in a rebuild removing your best player and getting asset back makes the most sense even if the asset is less then market value. he adds 5 wins and could get hurt again both of which is very bad for SJS. I think the deal is karlsson $3mil retained for 1, 2nd and petry and granland goes to Chicago for a 2nd.

• Haha
Reactions: Grinner

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Carolina seems like a odd spot makes more sense to give that money to Pesce. I think pitt is the only one that makes sense. My guess is the return is way lower then what SJS wants, but they are smart enough to know in a rebuild removing your best player and getting asset back makes the most sense even if the asset is less then market value. he adds 5 wins and could get hurt again both of which is very bad for SJS. I think the deal is karlsson $3mil retained for 1, 2nd and petry and granland goes to Chicago for a 2nd.
Done and done. I'm flying to Pittsburgh right now to drive Mikael to the airport.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

If Karlsson wants to win/compete for the Cup Pens really don’t make sense.

With or without him they are average at best& they are only going to slow down even more

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
According to Rossi, San Jose likes Pettersson as a part of the Karlsson deal but the Penguins aren't comfortable including him. Pettersson is a legitimately valuable defenseman, so including him would be really challenging. But if the Penguins can find a Petry for LD swap somewhere (maybe Petry to Detroit for Chiarot?), I wouldn't have any issues with including Pettersson in a Karlsson deal.

Just spitballing, I imagine that would be something like:

Penguins get Karlsson at $8.5 million
Sharks get Pettersson, Granlund, 2024 1st and a conditional 2025 1st

That would leave the Penguins 2nd pair as Chiarot-Karlsson after the Petry for Chiarot swap.

Reactions: General Manager

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
According to Rossi, San Jose likes Pettersson as a part of the Karlsson deal but the Penguins aren't comfortable including him. Pettersson is a legitimately valuable defenseman, so including him would be really challenging. But if the Penguins can find a Petry for LD swap somewhere (maybe Petry to Detroit for Chiarot?), I wouldn't have any issues with including Pettersson in a Karlsson deal.
Pens are inches from a steep decline and rebuild. I wouldn’t trade him, I’d keep him for the build. EK is a luxury, not a necessity.

Reactions: brewski420

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Petts has a lot more value IMO then is being alleged, if he's included you drop one of the 1sts. He's a very solid top four. Heck if the Sharks got him they could trade him at the deadline for a 1st.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Boy that's a hell of a way to neuter the improvement that Karlsson's supposed to provide. With Karlsson's 2022-23 fluke outlier season highly unlikely to be approached next season with the Pens in any event, are we even sure that Chiarot-Karlsson is soooo much better than Petts-Petry?

Yes? Chiarot has historically had success in that kind of usage, specifically with Florida while playing with Weegar or Montour at the end of the 2022 season.

Pettersson is good and I like him a lot, but he's a solid middle pair DFD. It's not the end of the world to include him in a deal to add Erik Karlsson.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
Yes? Chiarot has historically had success in that kind of usage, specifically with Florida while playing with Weegar or Montour at the end of the 2022 season.

Pettersson is good and I like him a lot, but he's a solid middle pair DFD. It's not the end of the world to include him in a deal to add Erik Karlsson.

Chiarot has good size, not that he'd be allowed to really use it to full effect with the Mike Sullivan Pens (Petry has good size too) and I wouldn't necessarily hate him as a 3rd pairing guy but then we'd have no #2 LD at all though Smith would be interesting to try there.

As everyone knows, Karlsson channeled the spirit of Bobby Orr last year and put up 101 points. With the Pens I'd be willing to wager some HFBoards cash that he gets way closer to 50-60 points than 101 next season.

But Dubas wants to make a splash, and a succession of Ellers, Acciaris and Nietos isn't splashy at all even though Mike Sullivan has to be delighted. Also, EK on the team would stimulate fan interest at least for a little while and maybe get the team back to selling out without having to fake it with "student rush" giveaways and crap like that.

Bottom line is that from the perspective of making the Pens a true contender to go deep in the playoffs, I don't see the NEED for Karlsson, especially if it's going to cost someone like Petts -- who I agree is hardly one of the core players, but he might be ready to quietly move into a Dumoulin-type role here (Dumoulin from when he was good, I mean) and that's got some solid value.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain

That would leave the Penguins 2nd pair as Chiarot-Karlsson after the Petry for Chiarot swap.
That's horrible for Pens

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
They're at least three years away from a rebuild.
And that ‘three year period’ you mention could be considered a steep decline, no?

They’re a Crosby and/or Malkin declining/injury/retirement away from it starting, if it hasn’t already.

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon

If the Sharks' sticking point is Marcus Pettersson, honestly, I would see that as a deal breaker. At some point, they need *someone* to sit back and play defense. Pettersson's one of their better defensemen who can.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
At this point, the Oilers may win a cup before either of these two going forward...

But like I said, lets stay on topic.

Clearly there is something wrong in Carolina, they've been pretty solid for a long time now and always choke in the playoffs. I think it's unlikely Karlsson is going to be the magic fix, and Pittsburgh is on it's way down, he's not going to bring them back to the glory days, I think he'd definitely serve himself better on other contenders.
As a fan of a team not included in these discussions, throwing stones at Carolina seems a pretty poor idea. They win a lot in both the regular season and play-off's to call them chokers. IMO, they lack game-breaking talent that can take over a game individually, but they have great team structure to make up for it. IMO, when healthy Karlsson is the type of game breaker that can elevate the level of play around him. Add in that the Canes have the team defensive structure that would enable them to handle the aggressive nature of EK's game.

The big issue IMO is that the EK/Burns combo experiment didn't go great in SJ. That could have been more of a coaching deployment or team issue rather than an issue specifically with how they play together team wise.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
As a fan of a team not included in these discussions, throwing stones at Carolina seems a pretty poor idea. They win a lot in both the regular season and play-off's to call them chokers. IMO, they lack game-breaking talent that can take over a game individually, but they have great team structure to make up for it. IMO, when healthy Karlsson is the type of game breaker that can elevate the level of play around him. Add in that the Canes have the team defensive structure that would enable them to handle the aggressive nature of EK's game.

The big issue IMO is that the EK/Burns combo experiment didn't go great in SJ. That could have been more of a coaching deployment or team issue rather than an issue specifically with how they play together team wise.
EK/Burns didn't work because EK was injured often and the team didn't have much depth in general. The combo worked fantastic in 2019 and they don't pass the first round without both.

Also, if the Pens were talking about rebuilding soon you'd be hearing rumors about Crosby/Malkin being on the market. They're trying for a couple kicks at the can while the top guys are still around and playing great hockey.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
If Karlsson wants to win/compete for the Cup Pens really don’t make sense.

With or without him they are average at best& they are only going to slow down even more
I think they will be better than Boston and the New York teams next year.

Reactions: domaug

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I dont undertstand why the Pens would go for him. They are declining and need to start thinking about a rebuild/retool within the next couple years. If they trade for him they will be trading away a 1st and what little top prospect(s) they have. It would set them back really far long term. Not to mention it definitely doesn’t make them a Stanley Cup contenders either.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
And that ‘three year period’ you mention could be considered a steep decline, no?

They’re a Crosby and/or Malkin declining/injury/retirement away from it starting, if it hasn’t already.
Crosby's contract isn't ending until 2025. Then and only then will the Penguins make the choice if they're rebuilding or not.

Try to keep up.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Ek65 is going to go cupless if he goes to PITT. PITT has been there and done that already. They aren't winning anything now.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I dont undertstand why the Pens would go for him. They are declining and need to start thinking about a rebuild/retool within the next couple years. If they trade for him they will be trading away a 1st and what little top prospect(s) they have. It would set them back really far long term. Not to mention it definitely doesn’t make them a Stanley Cup contenders either.

How would it set them back "really far long term"?

They're not going to be rebuilding until after Crosby and Malkin retire, and they're not going to waste the last few years with Crosby and Malkin to add prospects now. They're going to bottom out after Crosby and Malkin leave and that's when the rebuild will start.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Ya'll need to get it through your heads that the Penguins missed the playoffs last year because their goalies weren't healthy and Hextall assembled an absolute dogs breakfast bottom six. Just removing Carter and Dumoulin alone from that team still gets them in the playoffs. You don't sell the car because it gets a couple flat tires, you change the tires. Therefor, doing something like trading for Karlsson is exactly what the Pens need.

thehoffs

Jul 4, 2023
I think Elliotte enjoys looking rather unkempt and sloppy when he does these video segments.

Gets people talking about more than just what he's saying.

Still pretty weird, honestly. :laugh:
He’s also absolutely clueless.

Pittsburgh is desperate and also has next to nothing to offer. So what their 1st round pick this year or 2024 1st? Or is the plan to unload and upgrade Letang???

Makes no sense.

Carolina. Similar question. The defence is already solid.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
If the Sharks' sticking point is Marcus Pettersson, honestly, I would see that as a deal breaker. At some point, they need *someone* to sit back and play defense. Pettersson's one of their better defensemen who can.
Why do the sharks even want Pettersson? By the time they're ready to compete he'll be on the decline.

Reactions: domaug
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad