Kane might be in legal trouble in Buffalo (verifiable sources only, no hearsay)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
I don't buy it. You're falsely accused of this heinous crime, the stigma of which will last forever if you don't fight it, and you're going to just say 'who cares, I just want to play hockey, so I may as well just pay her'?

Not to mention, endorsements go bye bye, forever. If he's innocent, it's a nonsensical approach.
Honestly, I would doubt it. It's not exactly the same scenario, but one need only look at Kobe. He admitted he had an encounter with a woman and ultimately settled out of court. Sure he lost money immediately afterwards. But in sports and the media, people are quick to find a new villain. Kobe had a contract with Nike and Coke and was making over $15 million a year in endorsements 3 years later. He's pretty universally recognized as one of the game's greats and though it might be wrong, people seem to have forgotten about his incident.

Personally, I think as long as Kane remains a star in the league, people will rather quickly forget any potential wrongdoing. As far as money, I'm sure he wouldn't like to lose that endorsement money, even for a few years, but he is the highest paid player in the league. I wouldn't be surprised if he made those sacrifices just to have the situation over and done with, personally.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Question: Can the Blackhawks void his contract if he is arrested?

Not saying he is guilty or anything, just curious about the language in the contract.

If Richards' deal got voided, I'm sure a Kane that's headed to jail can be.

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Honestly, I would doubt it. It's not exactly the same scenario, but one need only look at Kobe. He admitted he had an encounter with a woman and ultimately settled out of court. Sure he lost money immediately afterwards. But in sports and the media, people are quick to find a new villain. Kobe had a contract with Nike and Coke and was making over $15 million a year in endorsements 3 years later. He's pretty universally recognized as one of the game's greats and though it might be wrong, people seem to have forgotten about his incident.

Personally, I think as long as Kane remains a star in the league, people will rather quickly forget any potential wrongdoing. As far as money, I'm sure he wouldn't like to lose that endorsement money, even for a few years, but he is the highest paid player in the league. I wouldn't be surprised if he made those sacrifices just to have the situation over and done with, personally.

Kobe is Kobe. Patrick Kane is Patrick Kane. There's a valley of difference between the two.

Neo1978

Aug 3, 2015
Question: Can the Blackhawks void his contract if he is arrested?

Not saying he is guilty or anything, just curious about the language in the contract.

<i>Article 14 of the SPC states that a club can terminate the contract if a player shall "fail, refuse or neglect to obey the Club's rule governing training and conduct of Players, if such failure, refusal or neglect should constitute a material breach of this SPC."</i>

That is the article in the CBA that the Kings used to attempt to terminate Richards contract. It isn't fleshed out what that means, though.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Most likely voiding his deal makes him a free agent. They might be better off putting him on the physically unable to perform list if one such exists.

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
Why should it be allowed to be voided? He went ham on a cabby a few years ago, if he's found guilty that's more than strike one (fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me)

Are you saying a player convicted of a felony shouldn't have his contract voided?

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
I don't buy it. You're falsely accused of this heinous crime, the stigma of which will last forever if you don't fight it, and you're going to just say 'who cares, I just want to play hockey, so I may as well just pay her'?

Not to mention, endorsements go bye bye, forever. If he's innocent, it's a nonsensical approach.

But on the other hand, you pay her and this all goes away. Would you rather drag out a long trial (in which you are indefinatly suspended from any NHL action - im not sure if its with/without pay, would assume with pay) and have your name in the media ALL THE TIME, with the word rape attached to it. Rape is just a terribly ugly word. As screwy as it is to say, its almost better for your public image to just pay the girl. Yeah everyone is gonna have the "what if" thoughts in the back of their heads, but you'd be suprised how quickly people will stop caring about this incident if it gets settled out of court/no guilty verdict.

And to be honest, even if this does go to trial and Kane wins, theres going to be a large number of people that dont like Kane for this and won't belive that Kane diddn't sexually assult that girl. The longer this goes on, the worse it gets for his public image.

The other thing to consider, if this goes to trial and he does end up losing, just think of all the money he stands to lose. Jail time > Contract teriminated > NHL ban. Then when he does get back in to hockey, you can bet damnwell he's not making anything remotley CLOSE to 10.5 mil. The hush money is just the safer play, regardless of guilt.

Last edited:

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Why should it be allowed to be voided? He went ham on a cabby a few years ago, if he's found guilty that's more than strike one (fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me)

Maybe you should ask LA. Him going to the border and getting caught with painkillers is much less of a problem than Kane raping someone, which would land him in jail for a long time.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
Are you saying a player convicted of a felony shouldn't have his contract voided?

I'm saying a cap hit should not be negated if it turns out that Kane did in fact rape this girl ... second time he's got into trouble ... repeat offender by all accounts ... the team should be penalized (stuck with cap hit) ... that is what I'm saying, there should be risk associated with these contracts

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I'm saying a cap hit should not be negated if it turns out that Kane did in fact rape this girl ... second time he's got into trouble ... repeat offender by all accounts ... the team should be penalized (stuck with cap hit) ... that is what I'm saying, there should be risk associated with these contracts

There is risk associated with every long term contract, but it shouldn't include the citizenship of the player. IF Kane really has a problem here, that should be on him, not the Hawks.

I would also argue that if he is charged and then suspended by the NHL, his cap hit should not count until he is reinstated.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Its far to early to make any judgement

I hope for best but honest reality is I dont know Kane or accuser or what happened. The evidence will decide if this is worthy of charges and potentially a trial

As a Hawk fan of course naturally I hope none of this is true but Kane wouldn't be first athlete to commit a heinous act

On other end he also wouldn't be first player to be accused of heinous act and ultimately turn out innocent

All we can do is wait for this to unfold and then go from there

Its really a bit absurd that some have made up there minds on situation already based on feelings towards women or Kane

- Kane isn't the most likeable guy but that doesn't make him a rapist
- Women have falsely accused before but that doesn't make this women a liar

We really dont know nor will we know until resolution of this case

- If Kane is charged and found guilty. His NHL career is over and he is headed to jail
- If Kane is charged and found innocent his career continues but this will forever be apart of his legacy (Fair or not)
- If Kane is not charged then really this is non event in longrun for Kane or Hawks and everyone can move on with lives
Has anyone made that argument? I would argue has to do with the technicality of rape particularly with regards to intoxication.

I've yet to see ANYONE suggest that intercourse with an 1) unconscious or 2) outright intoxicated woman. Instead, we're talking about a gray area where alcohol is in the system but consent can be made. In other words, there is hardly a consensus on what domains are valid or void.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
There is risk associated with every long term contract, but it shouldn't include the citizenship of the player. IF Kane really has a problem here, that should be on him, not the Hawks.

I would also argue that if he is charged and then suspended by the NHL, his cap hit should not count until he is reinstated.

Definately, It would really put the hawks under a lot of pressure if they weren't given cap relief if Kane is suspended. The kings struggled without Voynovs cap space of 4mill for a while, Kane plays a bigger role and absorbs a lot more of the hawks cap space.

Church of Toews*

Definately, It would really put the hawks under a lot of pressure if they weren't given cap relief if Kane is suspended. The kings struggled without Voynovs cap space of 4mill for a while, Kane plays a bigger role and absorbs a lot more of the hawks cap space.

add in that we are over the cap still this could be a nightmare situation

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
You're missing the scenario where he's charged and buys his way out of it. It's not being found guilty, but public opinion may consider that an admission of guilt. I wonder how the image conscious Hawks would handle that.

How does one buy oneself out of a criminal charge?

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
But on the other hand, you pay her and this all goes away. Would you rather drag out a long trial (in which you are indefinatly suspended from any NHL action - im not sure if its with/without pay, would assume with pay) and have your name in the media ALL THE TIME, with the word rape attached to it. Rape is just a terribly ugly word. As screwy as it is to say, its almost better for your public image to just pay the girl. Yeah everyone is gonna have the "what if" thoughts in the back of their heads, but you'd be suprised how quickly people will stop caring about this incident if it gets settled out of court/no guilty verdict.

And to be honest, even if this does go to trial and Kane wins, theres going to be a large number of people that dont like Kane for this and won't belive that Kane diddn't sexually assult that girl. The longer this goes on, the worse it gets for his public image.

The other thing to consider, if this goes to trial and he does end up losing, just think of all the money he stands to lose. Jail time > Contract teriminated > NHL ban. Then when he does get back in to hockey, you can bet damnwell he's not making anything remotley CLOSE to 10.5 mil. The hush money is just the safer play, regardless of guilt.
That's how I see it. The best thing to do is to just settle it out of court. Even if Kane was innocent, this process is going to be a long process and it's just better to end it as is.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
That's how I see it. The best thing to do is to just settle it out of court. Even if Kane was innocent, this process is going to be a long process and it's just better to end it as is.

You don't settle a criminal case out of court. You could enter a plea deal I suppose, for a lesser sentence.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
You don't settle a criminal case out of court. You could enter a plea deal I suppose, for a lesser sentence.

I think where they are going is something similar to the Kobe Bryant case. Where a civil settlement was made between Kobe and the accuser, then suddenly she did a 180 and stopped cooperating. Which led to the prosecutor having little choice but to drop the charges. Rape cases are notoriously hard to prosecute and the chances are little to none if the accuser/alleged victim isn't cooperating.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Is it a criminal case, though? I thought it was civil.

Kane is currently under investigation by at least two law enforcement agencies due to an allegation of rape reported to the police. It is a criminal case. A District Attorney has been assigned to ***** the solidity of the case in proceeding with criminal charges.

No civil action has been filed at the time, that has been reported. Only criminal allegations,

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
I think where they are going is something similar to the Kobe Bryant case. Where a civil settlement was made between Kobe and the accuser, then suddenly she did a 180 and stopped cooperating. Which led to the prosecutor having little choice but to drop the charges. Rape cases are notoriously hard to prosecute and the chances are little to none if the accuser/alleged victim isn't cooperating.

Ah. Got it. Thanks. Man, that is far down the road though. Lots of pain between that possibility and where we are now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad