Kane might be in legal trouble in Buffalo (verifiable sources only, no hearsay)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Even if he's convicted, with strong evidence that he legitimately raped this girl? Who knows if that will happen, but if it did, you'd still cheer for him?

If he's convicted, he'll be banned from the league and most likely in jail.

JustABlackhawksFan

Jun 2, 2015
Even if he's convicted, with strong evidence that he legitimately raped this girl? Who knows if that will happen, but if it did, you'd still cheer for him?

If he's convicted, I doubt he'll still be playing for the Blackhawks... or any NHL team, for that matter.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
Wont affect me. I'll root for Kane and the Hawks as much as ever if he continues playing here. I won't tell someone else how to act though.

This.

If he's not proven to be guilty of any crimes, how the hell can you turn your back on this guy?

Just kills me the reactions some are having

Fine guys, have fun not rooting for Kane anymore.

I'll gladly stay by his side until there are actual facts and a court conviction to prove he's too low of a person to meet my standards, as if i too dont make mistakes/wouldn't be out drinking and getting laid on Saturday nights in my mid 20's if i was rich, famous, and good looking.

kuzy

Mar 31, 2012
St. Charles, IL
It might have been mentioned already but I read an article that said it appears the brother of Kane's girlfriend took a picture with the cup at his private party, which likely means she was there as well. Why would they be anywhere near him if they thought for a moment that he was guilty?

Periwinkle

Apr 3, 2014
It might have been mentioned already but I read an article that said it appears the brother of Kane's girlfriend took a picture with the cup at his private party, which likely means she was there as well. Why would they be anywhere near him if they thought for a moment that he was guilty?

Whether they think he is guilty is not relevant in the slightest.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
This.

If he's not proven to be guilty of any crimes, how the hell can you turn your back on this guy?

Just kills me the reactions some are having

Fine guys, have fun not rooting for Kane anymore.

I'll gladly stay by his side until there are actual facts and a court conviction to prove he's too low of a person to meet my standards, as if i too dont make mistakes/wouldn't be out drinking and getting laid on Saturday nights in my mid 20's if i was rich, famous, and good looking.

Would you trust your daughter (or another loved one) alone with Bill Cosby? He hasn't been convicted in court.

I'm not saying Kane's guilty. I think we all need to wait for facts to roll in before making judgments. But there's a possible outcome where evidence may point to guilt, but Kane's financial resources preclude the public from getting a clear determination one way or the other.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Would you trust your daughter (or another loved one) alone with Bill Cosby? He hasn't been convicted in court.

I'm not saying Kane's guilty. I think we all need to wait for facts to roll in before making judgments. But there's a possible outcome where evidence may point to guilt, but Kane's financial resources preclude the public from getting a clear determination one way or the other.

Agreed. It's common in pro sports to have suspect guys on the team. I would hope if there is enough information to make a determination of some wrong doing, the team will make the decision and not put the fans in that situation. Just because he pays her off doesn't mean everything is back to normal.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
If he's convicted, he'll be banned from the league and most likely in jail.

It would be discrimination to ban him from the league. Suspended yes, banned no way. And when he was eligible to return teams would be lining up to sign him if he was still young. He would be given a second chance. How many other guys in the league, in sports have a cloud hanging over their heads for sexual assault? One guy I think of is Mike Tyson. Guy was a loonatic, a convicted rapist, and he came back and fought and now is kind of a sympathetic character to people. Stars in movies and tv shows now.

I am trying to think of a player in any professional league who has been banned and the only guy I can think of is Pete Rose. My guess is if he goes to Hawks management and swears to them he did nothing wrong (even if he is lying), says he will drop the late night nonsense and behave, I think they ride out the storm and stick with him. Too much talent, too much meaning to the franchise and as well I think they really like the kid. Just my opinion.

Periwinkle

Apr 3, 2014
It would be discrimination to ban him from the league. Suspended yes, banned no way. And when he was eligible to return teams would be lining up to sign him if he was still young. He would be given a second chance. How many other guys in the league, in sports have a cloud hanging over their heads for sexual assault? One guy I think of is Mike Tyson. Guy was a loonatic, a convicted rapist, and he came back and fought and now is kind of a sympathetic character to people. Stars in movies and tv shows now.

I am trying to think of a player in any professional league who has been banned and the only guy I can think of is Pete Rose. My guess is if he goes to Hawks management and swears to them he did nothing wrong (even if he is lying), says he will drop the late night nonsense and behave, I think they ride out the storm and stick with him. Too much talent, too much meaning to the franchise and as well I think they really like the kid. Just my opinion.

Yeah, no. Convicted rapists are not a protected category.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014

How do you figure? The NHL CBA is agreed upon by the players, and there are more than enough terms in there for the NHL to keep him out of the league for the rest of his life based on a rape conviction.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
Whether they think he is guilty is not relevant in the slightest.

I don't think he really made that point to have any relevance on the actual case. It's just kind of an interesting fact. If my significant other raped someone else well we were together, that would be the last time I ever talk to them. If true, just interesting that she's still hanging around Kane. Maybe she knows something we dont?

Relevant to the case, no. Interesting, yes.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
:shakehead

Patrick Kane guilt or innocence will have absolutely no impact on tourism or economy of Chicago or sales of sports merchandise (People will just buy a Toews/Hossa/Rozsival jersey instead)

Last edited:

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
We can always count on BWC to suggest people buy a Rozi jersey :laugh:

Figured this board could use a little humor to take edge off

Far to much personal attacks/friction lately

I know this situation is awful but we have all posted here together for years (Well shorter for some) and there really is no reason to be so heated right now

We must simply wait and see how this unfolds

WetHotAmericanSutter

Aug 10, 2015
Toronto, ON

Not sure I understand how it would be discrimination to ban him from the NHL - if he is convicted it's proven that he is a rapist (not saying he is right now) and the NHL has every right to ban him. It's better for their image to ban him, how is any parent supposed to explain the actions of the NHL for to their child that idolizes Kane? The victim (if he is proven guilty) will have to live with what happened for all her life, it's not exactly fair for him to be able to jump back into the NHL without any consequences. I can't think of any GM either that is willing to look past the fact that he might be a total locker room cancer as a formerly convicted rapist? Mike Tyson did not play a team sport, sure Kobe did play on a team sport but it's different to come back to a team after being convicted than it is after going to prison. Mike Tyson is also not a sympathetic character, at least where I'm from people have not forgotten what he's done and probably won't. A violent label like that usually follows a person throughout their life.
At the end of the day the decision is up to Hawks management but saying it is outrageous that someone who may or may not have raped a woman should not be banned from major league sports isn't fair.
As a young woman reading this thread it's eye opening what some people think but then again we shouldn't make opinions until all is said and done.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Rozsival will be our new star RW :laugh:

Anyone who goes to that rally is a ****ing meathead.

Could just be wishful thinking but I doubt Kane missed a game. Regardless of his guilt/innocence, he's simply too rich and famous for this to stick IMHO

Colonel X

The Kentucky Colonel
Nov 16, 2013
Louisville
I’m becoming increasingly disillusioned with the narrative that’s going around currently from some of the press. That’s not a surprise; most barely qualify as journalists anymore.

First let me state a few facts before you decide to pile on and turn this into something it’s not.

Rape is a horrible thing. It’s horrible for the person [male or female] that has this act perpetrated upon them. It’s horrible for their families and friends as well.

To me the ‘too drunk to consent’ aspect should apply both ways. It’s patently unfair to suggest it only protects women. We are in a society that continues to preach equality yet we allow things like this to permeate the legal landscape and create predator versus prey scenarios. It’s frankly disgusting to me.

As someone who has lived in the world of law [police family] I do believe in innocent until proven guilty and the growing implication that I have to condemn Kane due to the beliefs of ‘journalists’ is annoying at best and scary to be honest. I’ve read a couple different articles today that don’t just imply, but outright say that if we continue to be fans of Kane we are doing nothing more than condoning rape. We aren’t his friend, we aren’t his bro. I concede the point that we don’t know Patrick Kane. We know this public image of the frat-boy hockey player that he’s cultivated, but honestly this guy doesn’t know Patrick Kane either and he had no more grounds upon which to stand than any of us as fans do.

I’m sure it’s likely been referenced already, but think back to the Duke Lacrosse thing. The reports all came out and these lacrosse players were nothing more than rich entitled white guys who took advantage of and raped this poor, hard working stripper. Most people probably still think of it essentially that way. Problem is, the accusation was false. The girl lied. People lost their jobs, the university did suffer some embarrassment, reverse racism cries came out. All because this girl lied. That could have happened in Kane’s case as well, or he could have viciously attacked and raped a girl. I’m guessing it might be somewhere in between.

Obviously I have no idea what happened in Kane’s house during this incident. But I wish we lived in a world where journalists reported the facts instead of trying to tell me what to think.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
I’m becoming increasingly disillusioned with the narrative that’s going around currently from some of the press. That’s not a surprise; most barely qualify as journalists anymore.

First let me state a few facts before you decide to pile on and turn this into something it’s not.

Rape is a horrible thing. It’s horrible for the person [male or female] that has this act perpetrated upon them. It’s horrible for their families and friends as well.

To me the ‘too drunk to consent’ aspect should apply both ways. It’s patently unfair to suggest it only protects women. We are in a society that continues to preach equality yet we allow things like this to permeate the legal landscape and create predator versus prey scenarios. It’s frankly disgusting to me.

As someone who has lived in the world of law [police family] I do believe in innocent until proven guilty and the growing implication that I have to condemn Kane due to the beliefs of ‘journalists’ is annoying at best and scary to be honest. I’ve read a couple different articles today that don’t just imply, but outright say that if we continue to be fans of Kane we are doing nothing more than condoning rape. We aren’t his friend, we aren’t his bro. I concede the point that we don’t know Patrick Kane. We know this public image of the frat-boy hockey player that he’s cultivated, but honestly this guy doesn’t know Patrick Kane either and he had no more grounds upon which to stand than any of us as fans do.

I’m sure it’s likely been referenced already, but think back to the Duke Lacrosse thing. The reports all came out and these lacrosse players were nothing more than rich entitled white guys who took advantage of and raped this poor, hard working stripper. Most people probably still think of it essentially that way. Problem is, the accusation was false. The girl lied. People lost their jobs, the university did suffer some embarrassment, reverse racism cries came out. All because this girl lied. That could have happened in Kane’s case as well, or he could have viciously attacked and raped a girl. I’m guessing it might be somewhere in between.

Obviously I have no idea what happened in Kane’s house during this incident. But I wish we lived in a world where journalists reported the facts instead of trying to tell me what to think.

I disagree with a few things in your post, but those arguments are getting tiresome. But regarding your last sentence, that objectivity should extend both ways, e.g. the second half of yesterday's widely circulated Buffalo News article, which mainly served as a blame the victim smear.

Colonel X

The Kentucky Colonel
Nov 16, 2013
Louisville
I disagree with a few things in your post, but those arguments are getting tiresome. But regarding your last sentence, that objectivity should extend both ways, e.g. the second half of yesterday's widely circulated Buffalo News article, which mainly served as a blame the victim smear.

I'm sure there are lots of articles out there I haven't read, and in this case I must say I have not read an article that blames the accuser.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
Talking about a possible conviction and potential league punishment is four or five steps down the road however regardless of what the league decides to do with him if the Canadian government decides he is no longer allowed in the country then you're getting closer to voiding his contract and no team signing him.

In the short term your concern should be that if he is arrested and things put in motion for a trial then he is almost certainly going to be suspended indefinitely a la Voynov. The team will still have to pay him but until the issue is resolved he would be forced off the ice.

It will probably be a couple of weeks for any rape kit evidence to be tested and returned to police while they, presumably, collect statements from any relevant parties and decide if charges are warranted. Until the police decide yea or nay on charges any chatter is speculation and heresay which is right up HFB alley judging by the rumours board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad