Kane might be in legal trouble in Buffalo (verifiable sources only, no hearsay)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
You pay them out of court and in return they don't press charges.

Pretty sure that would be illegal the way you just described it. Now if you have both a criminal and a civil case pending, and you settle the civil case quickly, then I could see what you are saying, but just offering a wad of cash to the victim and demanding they drop their complaint could be seen as criminal coercion, no?

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Pretty sure that would be illegal the way you just described it. Now if you have both a criminal and a civil case pending, and you settle the civil case quickly, then I could see what you are saying, but just offering a wad of cash to the victim and demanding they drop their complaint could be seen as criminal coercion, no?

It happens all the time.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL

There's not much anyone can or will do. Most people would probably say, yeah she deserves the 10 million bucks if she went through that. And there's not going to be anything written anywhere saying she must stop cooperating. It would be a handshake under the table thing.

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013
Huge portion of the story was dedicated interviewing someone who by his own admission said he didn't even know if this was the same woman. The journalist gives a lot of space to these comments ("she was hanging all over him", "followed him"), which are not really relevant, at least to a degree that they deserve so much space in the report. It's poor journalistic integrity. I don't know if the point made by the author of the story l linked turns out to be relevant considering serving laws and liability, but again, it's poor journalistic manner to let the interviewee claim he has no stake it what happened at his bar, when he in actuality has, without the journalist pointing this out.

I think those are valid observations.

I was thinking in terms of those same liability concerns when the interviewee said that Kane's consumption was a couple of drinks...a couple of shots...

I really have to admire that restraint. If I was out until 4 a.m., I imagine my bar bill would involve more than 4 drinks.

It could be true, of course...

CPHawksFan

That's Hockey Baby!!
Jun 17, 2011
Crown Point, IN
There's not much anyone can or will do. Most people would probably say, yeah she deserves the 10 million bucks if she went through that. And there's not going to be anything written anywhere saying she must stop cooperating. It would be a handshake under the table thing.

Just a bit OT...but I'm wondering if she would have to report that when she files her 2015 taxes :laugh:

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Just a bit OT...but I'm wondering if she would have to report that when she files her 2015 taxes :laugh:

Nope. Out of court settlements stemming from a physical injury or the emotional distress/mental anguish from that physical injury aren't taxable.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
BWC, that was a great post.

I still wait for the Hawks or Kane to make a Statement. I know why they don't do it, but it would be interesting to hear their Point of view on this Story.

There will be no winner in this case - no matter how this all ends

CPHawksFan

That's Hockey Baby!!
Jun 17, 2011
Crown Point, IN
BWC, that was a great post.

I still wait for the Hawks or Kane to make a Statement. I know why they don't do it, but it would be interesting to hear their Point of view on this Story.

There will be no winner in this case - no matter how this all ends

Well if Kane is innocent yet has to settle with her out of court to make this go away, then she is the winner, and Kane hopefully learns a lesson.

GGGHawks18

Dec 16, 2011
Its far to early to make any judgement

I hope for best but honest reality is I dont know Kane or accuser or what happened. The evidence will decide if this is worthy of charges and potentially a trial

As a Hawk fan of course naturally I hope none of this is true but Kane wouldn't be first athlete to commit a heinous act

On other end he also wouldn't be first player to be accused of heinous act and ultimately turn out innocent

All we can do is wait for this to unfold and then go from there

Its really a bit absurd that some have made up there minds on situation already based on feelings towards women or Kane

- Kane isn't the most likeable guy but that doesn't make him a rapist
- Women have falsely accused before but that doesn't make this women a liar

We really dont know nor will we know until resolution of this case

- If Kane is charged and found guilty. His NHL career is over and he is headed to jail
- If Kane is charged and found innocent his career continues but this will forever be apart of his legacy (Fair or not)
- If Kane is not charged then really this is non event in longrun for Kane or Hawks and everyone can move on with lives

I completely agree with this post.

GGGHawks18

Dec 16, 2011
Quick question, teammates have to know what is going on right? Like Toews, Keith, Seabrook. Would they have texted/called Kane to get any details you think?

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
Quick question, teammates have to know what is going on right? Like Toews, Keith, Seabrook. Would they have texted/called Kane to get any details you think?

It would be dumb for kane to comment on details even to friends and especially by text. I doubt he or they want them to be dragged into the details of this anyway.

one additional fact to come to light this morning is ap saying the woman is in her 20s so that shuts down some of the nastier gossip that emerged earlier in this

Puckerz

Jun 7, 2013
I do not believe the story the way it was told in that article, I just don't. I can't see Kane being that forceful. That stupid. Not saying he didn't do anything wrong but I just can't see it to that extent with other people also in the house. As someone said earlier it sounds very fishy, espceially if this was the girl hanging on him and fighting others away. Sounds like a potential set up. Not saying it is, but it doesn't sound right the way it was in that article.

I have no clue what happened, but this is full of wishful, versus objective thinking, imo.

We don't have a clue how drunk Kane was so to say you don't think he could be so forceful is showing major bias ... everyone increases their chances of doing things they wouldn't do sober when drinking, as it impairs judgement and decision making.

As for hanging all over him in the bar and fighting other girls off that is taking one comment and extrapolating what you want to hear.

That comment was made by the manager ... maybe he noticed the girl all over him and assumed that was her way of fighting other girls off ... it is definitely plausible versus actually seeing her having actual confrontations with other women in the bar, no?

Maybe when he first saw the two of them hanging on to each other his immediate thought was she was staking her claim and then repeated his assumption to the press ... and remember, this is a guy who says he has no skin in the game which is kinda disingenuous, imo.

Keithsteeth

Nov 10, 2013
I'm sure Kane's attorneys have him on total lockdown. Any communication about the case with anyone besides his legal team won't help anything at this point (and that's regardless of whether he's guilty or not).

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
At least we now know she is in her 20s according to latest reports and so not a statutory rape of a minor..at least that item cleared up...

Also reports that she told police he followed her into a room and 9vepowered her ..and now bite marks and a leg scratch...Though possible proof of rough sex does not prove he initiated a rape.

If this was a bedroom and she entered first...that fact is bad for her case...He would be getting her implied consent...Did she change her mind at the very last second? Did she say NO. ..STOP? Did her friend who also went to his house hear her scream NO or STOP? If not where was the friend while this went on..Did the friend see her go into the room and him follow..and did nothing to stop them because that friend expected they were going to have consensual sex? If so..the friend's testimony crucial.

Even if...despite leading him.on...she changed her mind at the last second...said NO or STOP and he continued ..then technically a rape ..but still you have to ask if she connived that plan to change her mind..not as if she did not know who he was and the potential for a money shakedown.

So a lot of issues here...also the degree to which each may have been intoxicated or not
..even if he technically comitted rape if she said NO at the very last minute(because he allegedly kept going) ...if goldigging was part of her plot you cannot justly punish him for even a technical rape ...any law that so called protects women cannot be used justly if he was lured to thinking it was conensual only to be told to Stop once she had enough of his evidence in her ...if you know what I mean...So ...the question is not only did she say NO ...but when? If not before they even started..
It cannot be rape..If just as he was about to start...technically the change of mind provision does buttress her case ..but still he said she said if no witnesses hearing her say NO. ..comes down to who judge or jury believes but even so if a shakedown is believed by judge ir jury ...they probably acquit because her plot in such case is more despicable than a technical rape.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
The more I hear about this story, the more I'm thinking he might not be charged at all. But....we might only know like 5% of the story. So we'll see how it plays out.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
The more I hear about this story, the more I'm thinking he might not be charged at all. But....we might only know like 5% of the story. So we'll see how it plays out.

This is 100% how I am feeling about this right now. Seems like a weird, weird situation, so I'm sure a lot more is to come.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Can someone with knowledge of how these typically go, does the longer this goes without charges being filed mean:
1) Better for Kane
2) Worse for Kane
3) Timing doesn't really impact the situation

HawksFan37

Dec 27, 2007

I think 5% is stretching it. We have 37 pages based on little to any public facts at all, only speculation and a 2 sentence official police statement saying they are investigating an incident at Kane's residence.

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
Can someone with knowledge of how these typically go, does the longer this goes without charges being filed mean:
1) Better for Kane
2) Worse for Kane

I'm no expert, but I'd imagine that timing doesn't matter until the forensic results come back. At that point, if he's not charged, he likely won't be.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I just don't know what to think. I've vacillated from fully expecting that we've seen the last of Kane playing in the NHL, period, to this being a sad thing that opposing fans constantly remind everyone about every time he's on the ice for the next eight years.

Just a horrible situation all around.

jorbjorb

hello.
Dec 28, 2010
damn it. even if it was a set up or didn't happen. ?It looks like Kane will be screwed over here.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
1) Better for Kane
2) Worse for Kane

Investigators will take as long as they need either way make sure (in their minds) they are getting this right. So the right answer is 3.

scarchelli

Aug 19, 2014
I don't see why people who talk about it and that it would be a "stain on kanes name forever". Drew doughty got accused of the same thing in 2012. No one talks about it now. In fact, every hockey fan I've talked to doesnt even remember when it was he got accused. Anyway, it was in the middle of the 11-12 season when the kings went on to win the cup three months later...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad