JVR questions

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
In your mind there's an elite piece where the Leafs will be drafting in the 1st round this year? Interesting, yet wildly inaccurate take.

Im sure you realize having two 1st round picks would roughly double the Leafs' odds of landing an elite piece in the 1st round of the draft? Or allow for the possibility to move up in the draft for a much higher 1st round pick?

If JVR is traded for a 1st and a 2nd, Leafs would have two 1st round picks and three 2nd round picks at the 2018 draft. Some combination of those picks may allow them to draft in the top 4-6 of the draft and grab a true blue chip prospect to join the core.

Reactions: PromisedLand

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Im sure you realize having two 1st round picks would roughly double the Leafs' odds of landing an elite piece in the 1st round of the draft? Or allow for the possibility to move up in the draft for a much higher 1st round pick?

If JVR is traded for a 1st and a 2nd, Leafs would have two 1st round picks and three 2nd round picks at the 2018 draft. Some combination of those picks may allow them to draft in the top 4-6 of the draft and grab a true blue chip prospect to join the core.

Agreed, its a no brainer to move him. U can then package 3 of those 5 picks. (1) 1st round pick, (2) second round picks for a player u can target at the deadline. That would be appealing to a team doing a rebuild. Leafs would still have a 1st and 2nd round picks in that scenario.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Agreed, its a no brainer to move him. U can then package 3 of those 5 picks. (1) 1st round pick, (2) second round picks for a player u can target at the deadline. That would be appealing to a team doing a rebuild. Leafs would still have a 1st and 2nd round picks in that scenario.

If only movie Inception was real and I could plant the idea in Lou's head :laugh:

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I don't mind admitting I DON'T know and can't guess what MANAGEMENT is going to do with either of JVR or Bozak.

I've read lots of stuff by really (fairly?) smart people on here, yet, I still have no confidence that I know what's going to happen to these 2 players at the TDL.
What do you think mgmt should do with Bozak and JVR?

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
This talk of JVR being traded just seems kinda silly. We should all know it's not happening.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
What do you think mgmt should do with Bozak and JVR?

I would trade JVR for futures before the TDL and roll with the punches in the playoffs without him.

I'd keep Bozak UNLESS there is a very good offer (like a 1st rounder) for him (which I doubt - but could be wrong on this) and then if he walks in the summer and get no return, well, I'd be okay with that.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I'm kind of surprised none of you guys chimed in on the main board GM ranking thread to say Lou is too high for not firing Babcock and not tanking the playoffs. I'm amazed you guys aren't calling for his head.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
This team is tied for 4th overall. What team that high will trade players for picks? We've got to be realistic and believe in the team alittle more.

Reactions: Clark4Ever and Razz

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
I'm all for trading JVR and i appreciate his time as a Leaf. The problem is this. What you get in return. If it's only picks the team would feel like you're selling out their chances and don't believe in them. If you package him with other players and or picks and get a good defenseman back that's much easier to sell to the locker room. Should be interesting....

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Trading a highly sought after pending UFA while in a playoff spot, at the deadline, is hardly impossible.

Just last year, St. Louis did the exact same thing with Shattenkirk, and I'd argue that Shattenkirk was more important to the Blues than JVR to Toronto.

if they could make that move, get a solid return, and then parlay that return into other things (Brayden Schenn), then the Leafs should absolutely be willing to do that with JvR

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
If there's a solid offer for this guy I don't care what anybody says - it would extremely short-sighted for the Leafs not to trade him. We are trying to build a winning organization that goes all the way. What does it say to our current players next season that we didn't think we were good enough to win during this playoff run without a guy who isn't here anymore.

Trade him.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
If there's a solid offer for this guy I don't care what anybody says - it would extremely short-sighted for the Leafs not to trade him. We are trying to build a winning organization that goes all the way. What does it say to our current players next season that we didn't think we were good enough to win during this playoff run without a guy who isn't here anymore.

Trade him.
Agreed. It's a Buyer's market though.
I'm not sure a deal comes up that the Leafs will find attractive enough.

Reactions: Bullseye

airgordo

Feb 4, 2015
Trading JVR would be a losers mentality. This would not send a good message to the locker room.

The bottom line is you need good players to win a Stanley Cup. I know JVR is "soft" but he puts the puck in the net. You need that to win.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
upload_2018-2-21_9-42-30.png

Translation: they are looking for offers.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Wingers are a dime a dozen and many are on the trade market as a result.A commodity that is easily available both via trade and UFA.

JVR is likely to score +30 goals and Leafs will simply walk away at seasons end..

If JVR were a centre and scoring 30+ goals he would already be resigned and to big money, considered a vital piece of the puzzle moving forward. .

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Trading JVR would be a losers mentality. This would not send a good message to the locker room.

The bottom line is you need good players to win a Stanley Cup. I know JVR is "soft" but he puts the puck in the net. You need that to win.

You also need to keep the puck out of your own net. Right not Toronto is #2 in the league in goals for, #15 in goals against. Seems obvious what most needs to be addressed.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad