JVR questions

Drumdizzle

Jun 6, 2016
Ok so, we know that JVR carries some value. We also know that he'll be a UFA after this season and he likely won't be back with the leafs because of the raise he's going to get. I'm all for keeping JVR for our playoff run because it's impossible to replace his scoring and net presence. However, while I'd like to keep him for the playoff run would it not be better to acquire assets for the future? I mean, I'd be open to moving him if the deal is significant. Asset management right? If the Leafs don't make a deep run I'm sure they'll regret not bringing in anything for him. So my question is as a leaf fan what would you be okay with as a return? Let's say Nashville whom is looking to make a deep run were to offer you a 1st and Frederic Allard would that be sufficient? Or if New Jersey were to make an offer involving Santini would you be interested? I believe we should keep him unless offered something significant. But in your eyes what would that look like? I'm so curious.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I would move him for a late 1st and 2nd, or two seconds or a early 2nd and a decent prospect. Etc.

I don't know really, they might want to re sign as a ufa???? We are definitely not desperate for pucks or prospects.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Want 1st+2nd or more, would be fine with a minimum of a 1st.

Just dumb not to play Leivo in his spot and if Leivo fails then give the 2nd highest AHL goal scorer Johnsson the spot, while getting another Dermott/Liljegren in draft or trade it with our picks for Tanev

Drumdizzle

Jun 6, 2016
Yea I'm not sure if a low 1st alone is good enough. It'd definately be something to think about. It would free up some space to give Leivo or Sosh a look.

Drumdizzle

Jun 6, 2016
I'd re-sign him and yes we can afford him.
JVR is going to be looking for term and he'll get it. He's also going to be getting upwards of 6m per. How do you expect to keep him when you have Matthews, Nylander and Marner getting monster raises when their ELCs expire?

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
JVR is going to be looking for term and he'll get it. He's also going to be getting upwards of 6m per. How do you expect to keep him when you have Matthews, Nylander and Marner getting monster raises when their ELCs expire?
this, I cant see this working.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
I highly doubt they're going to re-sign him.

If they were interested, why not start talks now?

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
I want JVR back as much as I want to bring back Jason Allison. Seriously, these immobile lumberjacks have been out-dated even in Tim Kerr's time.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On

I've done the math and we can do it.

His opening position was 6x6 which means it's possible to negotiate that down. Also we have a shit load of cap next year but we have to bank some for Matthews so we can front load him big time making him easier to move later on in his deal.

Also, Nylander's year makes his contract less scary. Unless he explodes soon he is looking at less than 6 or more likely signs a bridge for even less. Marner we'll see.

We can even afford to add an 8ish million dollar D so long as we are prepared to lose Gardiner when his contract comes up.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I've done the math and we can do it.

His opening position was 6x6 which means it's possible to negotiate that down. Also we have a **** load of cap next year but we have to bank some for Matthews so we can front load him big time making him easier to move later on in his deal.

Also, Nylander's year makes his contract less scary. Unless he explodes soon he is looking at less than 6 or more likely signs a bridge for even less. Marner we'll see.

We can even afford to add an 8ish million dollar D so long as we are prepared to lose Gardiner when his contract comes up.

According to who? Dreger? The guy has literally zero insight anymore. I do not remember the last time he has predicted anything Leafs related in the past few years.

There is absolutely no reason for him to ask for anything less than the 6x7 Lucic and Okposo got, and even then he'd probably ask for more to start and settle at that number worst case.

We are not getting a home town discount and some team is probably willing to pay him over 6 mill a year for 7 years. That's something the Leafs flat out should not do for a one-dimensional winger wanting a career ending contract, never mind can not do. As evidence of the fact the Leafs probably have not started on contract negotiations with him.

If you get a 1st, 2nd and good prospect out of him, he's probably gone.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
According to who? Dreger? The guy has literally zero insight anymore. I do not remember the last time he has predicted anything Leafs related in the past few years.

There is absolutely no reason for him to ask for anything less than the 6x7 Lucic and Okposo got, and even then he'd probably ask for more to start and settle at that number worst case.

We are not getting a home town discount and some team is probably willing to pay him over 6 mill a year for 7 years. That's something the Leafs flat out should not do for a one-dimensional winger wanting a career ending contract, never mind can not do. As evidence of the fact the Leafs probably have not started on contract negotiations with him.

There is never any reason for guys to give hometown discounts yet it happens all the time. You lost me the minute you started making psychic predictions and stating them like facts, no sense debating with someone who knows the future.

Reactions: deepz

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach

You have absolutely no idea if he would take a home town discount or not. If we’re looking at crystal balls, i would argue that he would take a discount to stay here.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
They won't move him, that sends a horrible message to the locker room, and you know how Babs and Lou values stuff like that.

Personally I'd be fine with a 1st + prospect for him.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
You have absolutely no idea if he would take a home town discount or not. If we’re looking at crystal balls, i would argue that he would take a discount to stay here.

He said he would because he wants to be here so it must not be true right? That's always how you know.

Drumdizzle

Jun 6, 2016
They won't move him, that sends a horrible message to the locker room, and you know how Babs and Lou values stuff like that.

Personally I'd be fine with a 1st + prospect for him.

I have a hard time believing they'll move him but I'm not sure that it sends a horrible message to the locker room. They have friends in the locker room and in the press box who would love the opportunity that'd open up with JVR moved. And yes, a 1st and decent prospect sounds good to me.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Yea I'm not sure if a low 1st alone is good enough. It'd definately be something to think about. It would free up some space to give Leivo or Sosh a look.
Both Leivo and Soshnikov have been given a look, not a long look, but, a look all the same. They didn't impress Babcock enough, especially Leivo. Soshnikov might get another chance, but, Leivo might be done.

JMHO.

Drumdizzle

Jun 6, 2016
Both Leivo and Soshnikov have been given a look, not a long look, but, a look all the same. They didn't impress Babcock enough, especially Leivo. Soshnikov might get another chance, but, Leivo might be done.

JMHO.
I get what you're saying. I feel like Leivo hadn't been given a fair shake. If they move JVR I could see Kapanen moving up and Sosh replacing him on the 4th line.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
I have a hard time believing they'll move him but I'm not sure that it sends a horrible message to the locker room. They have friends in the locker room and in the press box who would love the opportunity that'd open up with JVR moved. And yes, a 1st and decent prospect sounds good to me.
Flipping your fourth best scorer for picks before the playoffs is not a good message to send to players. This is a management group that traded a 2nd for soon to be UFA Brian Boyle last year for his experience, and insurance that the kids get some playoff experience. They value these type of things, which I don't necessarily disagree with.

Roll with the team we have, add a cheap veteran or whatever, and anything can happen in the playoffs.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Not expecting a trade, but it should take a 1st + since he isn't a must move IMO. Ideally, he'd also be traded to a team in the Western Conference. There might be a winger that could then be placed into the lineup, but any trade would have to be about the return, first and foremost. It's a complicated move for a few reasons (our place in the standings, acquisition price, not easily replaced etc.) which is why I wouldn't expect it, but it's tough to ever rule most things out entirely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad