JVR questions

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Never a fan and wanted JVR gone in the summer but I'm finding I don't mind the JVR we've seen the last month or so.
I still expect they will let him walk over the summer.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
You also need to keep the puck out of your own net. Right not Toronto is #2 in the league in goals for, #15 in goals against. Seems obvious what most needs to be addressed.

But dem fancy stats r a joke.
My eyes tell all.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Best idea I can think of is to trade JVR, get a defense upgrade that's signed a couple years still and then give JVR a 6x6m

He can do the Polak, go away for a bit and get us some picks then come back and we can all be happy.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He's either walking for free or being signed to a stupid contract.

Doesn't sound like that in the Babs quote. Sounds more like shop to you drop. One thing about having the best scorer in a TDL that is saturated with sellers is that you get top value and can get another good scorer for a lot less.

I mean if JVR is a 1st and a 2nd and Grabner was reporting to cost a 2nd. Sign me up!

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Doesn't sound like that in the Babs quote. Sounds more like shop to you drop. One thing about having the best scorer in a TDL that is saturated with sellers is that you get top value and can get another good scorer for a lot less.

I mean if JVR is a 1st and a 2nd and Grabner was reporting to cost a 2nd. Sign me up!

I saw a tweet saying many teams are sellers but not a lot of buyers.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I saw a tweet saying many teams are sellers but not a lot of buyers.

If they are attempting to shuffle the deck chairs without suffering a loss, this could be a buy time as well and the return may matter less.

Know what I mean? Some may have sold high in the summer and will buy low in the winter, good for them. We would be selling low but buying low perhaps for assets with 2 yrs term left. Deferred asset loss.

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
Be looking at team out west that be interested. That maybe is Blues, Predators, and or whoever. Blues maybe Kyrou and 2nd for JVR. Preds 1st and 3rd?

These are both realistic destinations.

If Bolts or Bs acquire top 6/top 4 players this weekend, do the chances of van Riemsdyk moving on Monday increase?

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
With Patric Hornqvist putting the finishing touches on his new contract with Pittsburgh can this signing be used as a comparable for JVR?
five years, with an average annual value of $5.3MM.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
With Patric Hornqvist putting the finishing touches on his new contract with Pittsburgh can this signing be used as a comparable for JVR?
five years, with an average annual value of $5.3MM.

Intriguing. Still probably too rich for our blood.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Intriguing. Still probably too rich for our blood.

Agreed.

Also, the fact is Babcock has been reducing his icetime a fair amount, and he he’s very sheltered usage. While 5.5 million on one hand is a very fair price for a 25-30 goal guy. HOWEVER it’s pricey for a guy who is essentially just a complimentary piece on the team.

Goleafsgo95

Jan 12, 2018
I really don't think we will be able to keep him now with Marleau on the books. I think that's fine. Marleau can play in all situations, is versatile and brings leadership. Yes it's an overpayment but at least he brings value in multiple areas. JVR needs to be sheltered in 5v5 to be effective. Yes he is a loss on the powerplay but we have other weapons. If Matthews gets more icetime and finds his niche on the powerplay that can replace a lot of that production.

I think that long term we have Matthews, Marner and Nylander who can all drive a line and will be making big bucks. Then we have Kadri who seems to be a perfect fit beside Marner at 4.5m. We also have a few cheap support players in Hyman, Brown and Kapanen to support the forward core plus others on the way.

Yes our depth is going to be trimmed but when our big 3 are in their prime they won't need quite as much support to win.

Long term:
Hyman - Matthews
Kadri - Marner
Nylander - Kapanen

Throw in Johnsson, Grundstrom and others and someone in that mix is going to exceed expectations and be more than your run of the mill top 9.

Plus our d-core is likely going to be built more on depth and not have one guy eating 10m cap so there will be some money for scoring wingers down the road just for someone who brings more than JVR.

I do think we have a cup window in the next few years with the big 3 on the cheap, but there is a window far beyond that as well. I expect our big 3 to keep getting better. Same goes for Rielly. Liljegren is an X factor. Could disappoint but could just as easily blow expectations out of the water.

We don't need JVR.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad