I agree!

I would even do this

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
Komarov-Bozak-Brown
Martin-Fehr- Kapanen

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner- Zaitsev
Borgman- (good YOUNG stay at home D we trade JVR for who could play top 4 eventually)

I Know I know JVR is worth so much more than that but we take picks for him and make sure the D is young enough to have a ceiling of a consistent top 4

This would help bleak, gets kapanen into the lineup and gives us 4 lines who can do damage...

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
What? What do we have to fix with Mitch? A 61 point rookie(with mono) who is above average defensively needs fixing?

He really isn’t above average defensively. Some mistake skating around like a maniac for being good defensively. He is fine likely even average defensively he is not above average though

Reactions: The Apologist

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
He really isn’t above average defensively. Some mistake skating around like a maniac for being good defensively. He is fine likely even average defensively he is not above average though
For the sake of the argument, I'll just settle, agree that he's "average" and say that there's nothing that needs fixing about him :)

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
You thinks so because you do the same mistake that many do over blow when mistakes happen as a common thing.

If you've paid attention to the d zone coverage. Marner finds himself doing the center mens duties. Down low in support of the D, picking up any pucks from scrambles, give an out for D to pass to and move out. Bozak and Marner do a really good job on the switch off and that's do to the high IQ and the motor to work from Marner. The same happens in the offensive zone and when they execute cleanly that's when the line thrives. On the other side they have a stand still pylon they carry at both ends of the ice.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
has zach hyman even been involved in matthews/nylander's goals? i'm pretty sure those two have chemistry and hyman is just there. i'd put jvr on the top line so he can score on matthews and nylanders rebounds since they shoot the puck more. i'd play marleau with bozak and jvr and place hyman with kadri and komarov

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I love Marner but I don't think he's a perfect hockey player. There are definitely things he can improve on and that's completely fine

You can not say a word negative about Mitch Marner. It clearly is a trigger and will lead to pages of pointless circular arguments. We know he needs to work on elements of his game and that's what is important. We also know he tries too hard for highlight reel passes and is getting stung for it a lot. It will be OK.

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
You thinks so because you do the same mistake that many do over blow when mistakes happen as a common thing.

If you've paid attention to the d zone coverage. Marner finds himself doing the center mens duties. Down low in support of the D, picking up any pucks from scrambles, give an out for D to pass to and move out. Bozak and Marner do a really good job on the switch off and that's do to the high IQ and the motor to work from Marner. The same happens in the offensive zone and when they execute cleanly that's when the line thrives. On the other side they have a stand still pylon they carry at both ends of the ice.
So explain New York's first goal to me. Marner, who you claim takes the center's duties down low, was on the half boards taking care of the winger's duties and failing to do it twice. Twice Marner had the puck on his stick in a position to clear the zone, twice he was sloppy and cute in his own end coughing it up to New York, the 2nd time ending up in a goal against. That has nothing to do with him taking on the center's responsibilities down low, you're out to lunch. It has to do with not making the smart and safe play when presented with the opportunity, that's a maturity thing not a Bozak thing.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
You can not say a word negative about Mitch Marner. It clearly is a trigger and will lead to pages of pointless circular arguments. We know he needs to work on elements of his game and that's what is important. We also know he tries too hard for highlight reel passes and is getting stung for it a lot. It will be OK.

You cant say a word negative on Jake. Other people get triggered. See I can play that game too.

Dont say stuff Marner doesnt criticized. If anything your boy Nylander doesnt get criticized. If they do, you start getting triggered.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
Just about everyone on this forum knows that Marner is a terrific young talent..

Does he make bad decisions with the puck occasionally , sure..
But he's just learning the game...
If he's still doing that in a couple of years ..fine..
But now? Come on...he's now played 78 reg season games...do you really expect him to play like a 10 year vet?

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
has zach hyman even been involved in matthews/nylander's goals? i'm pretty sure those two have chemistry and hyman is just there. i'd put jvr on the top line so he can score on matthews and nylanders rebounds since they shoot the puck more. i'd play marleau with bozak and jvr and place hyman with kadri and komarov
Did you watch the game last night lol? Nylander forced a turn over whole lead to Hymans first goal, and then Nylander assisted on the second.

RLF

May 5, 2014
I know it would hurt the defensive side of the Kadri line, but I wonder if they would toy with switching JVR and Marleau. I think both lines could still work.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
You cant say a word negative on Jake. Other people get triggered. See I can play that game too.

Dont say stuff Marner doesnt criticized. If anything your boy Nylander doesnt get criticized. If they do, you start getting triggered.

I call out Jake all the time. I have been doing so for years. Players are flawed, I accept it, you guys get all weird about hockey talk, it stranges me out something large when people can't take some respectful criticism.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I know it would hurt the defensive side of the Kadri line, but I wonder if they would toy with switching JVR and Marleau. I think both lines could still work.

That would balance the lines pretty well but Babcock loves his checking/counter line.

RLF

May 5, 2014
That would balance the lines pretty well but Babcock loves his checking/counter line.
No, I know. I can imagine Marleau getting hit full stride with some nice passes by Marner exiting the zone which is appealing. The issue to me is no real net presence on that line anymore and too many on the Kadri line now. I do believe as Marleau plays more and continues to learn the system, we could see some line juggling, especially if we hit a wall at some point.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
hyman and nylander had crazy chemistry against the rags and in fact, matthews was the odd man out.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Think Marner's slightly below average defensively with a good amount to learn, but he still has high compete/drive which helps if he makes a mistake. Just need to get him away from JVR/Bozak with their bad habits and put him with someone who can teach him good habits.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
I only care if they show up in the playoffs. Let them coast as long as they bring it in the playoffs.

I don't think this team will struggle to make it to the second season. I want them all healthy and fresh for May.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I only care if they show up in the playoffs. Let them coast as long as they bring it in the playoffs.

I don't think this team will struggle to make it to the second season. I want them all healthy and fresh for May.

They didn't show up in the Wash series and actually never really do in big games

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad