JVR-Bozak-Marner or JVR-Bozak-Brown ?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
You can't break them up without taking apart our matchup line and/or changing our high-flying first line. We'll just have to endure the double-edged nature of their game for now.

And that's the main issue. How it would impact the other lines.

He only way this can get "solved" in a way is a trade and then have the replacement player be better at two way play. But that comes with its own risks ie loss of offense

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
As long as they do what they are paid to do, which is score I'm good.

The Patriots in the NFL have a saying "Do your job.' they don't ask guys to do anything they can't do.

That line job is to score that's why they are together,to provide offense and they do that.

They do their job, they are NEVER going to be great defensively that's not going to happen

Dude what is the point of that line scoring 2 goals but allowing 3/4 goals;

Bozo and reemer both of them blow the zone faster than a fat kid on a chocolate cake.

Their line was the only line with minus last night (-2)

Would have ended up with -3 if it wasn't for Gards' amazing play

Reactions: Rogie

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I believe last season that line scored the most 5v5 goals while also getting scored on the most. 48 goals for and 38 goals against or something like that.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
So is the consensus that JVR sucks defensively? Is this really true or is it a few people that think it and everyone else agrees?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
No way of easing into this, i'm too blunt. The line sucks defensively, it's probably one of the best offensive 3rd lines in the game but gives up way too much defensively and makes games a bit closer then they need to be some nights.

Something may be solved by simply trading only 1 of JVR or Bozak but I think enough is enough for me in regards to these guys. I would prefer to move JVR as Bozak is fine as a 3C and let's us keep Nylander with Matthews this year.

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Komarov-Kadri-Brown
Marleau-Bozak-Marner
Martin-Moore-Fehr/Leivo

Thoughts?
Always been the case, nothing new here.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Bozo and reemer both of them blow the zone faster than a fat kid on a chocolate cake.

You can't put it all on them Freddie wasn't great last night either

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
JVR is bad defensively, and Marner makes his share of mistakes, but at the end of the day for me it's Bozak who's the biggest problem. The center has the most defensive responsibility on the line by far. So trading a winger and keeping the center won't solve the problem.

Also, Marner looks worse defensively playing with those guys because so often he's the first forward back, or the one who's recovering the loose pucks while the others float around or blow the zone early.

It's interesting if you compare Matthews to Bozak. Matthews plays with an intensity when the other team has the puck. He tries to always be on the defensive side of the puck and break up plays in the neutral zone. Bozak will just let the puck/opponents get by him in the neutral zone and then skate back. It's like his brain is lagging 2 seconds behind when the other team has the puck.

Reactions: firstemperor

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
It amazes me you still find ways to take a shot at Kadri but protect your boy Bozak while bozo's defense is as a JOKE!

Still blaming Kessel eh?

You have to give more credit to Kadri, he doesn't need to be coddled or protected.

We can't have it both ways we can't praise him for his strength and then deny him his strength.

van Riemsdyk playing with Kadri and Komarov would still be an effective line defensively because it would only have 1 defensively weak player on it.
Marleau's defense is better than van Riemsdyk, so that would improve the overall effectiveness of Bozak's line.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Marleau-Nylander-Kapanen
Leivo-Kadri-Brown
Martin-Moore-Komarov
Soshnikov

Looks better on paper, and we should be able to get some decent assets for JVR and Bozak.

Reactions: Lauro

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012

Which goal against last night was on Bozak? You like to rag on him but he didn't play poorly yesterday. JVR was atrocious and Marner didn't look great either.

That line would be better defensively without JVR. The problem is unless he's traded JVR is going to play somewhere and if not that line than which?

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
When JVR and Marner have played with Kadri for those few minutes, they look better defensively. When they play with Bozak, they are bad defensively. Maybe its time to look at the centre? Or when it comes to Bozak, is it always his wingers fault? First it was Kessel's fault. Than JVR's Fault. Now its Marner's fault.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Which goal against last night was on Bozak? You like to rag on him but he didn't play poorly yesterday. JVR was atrocious and Marner didn't look great either.

That line would be better defensively without JVR. The problem is unless he's traded JVR is going to play somewhere and if not that line than which?

Yup never Bozak is never the issue. Its always his wingers fault.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

I think people who watch know when a player makes a mistake, whether it is Bozak, or van Riemsdyk or Marner. Marner is definitely the goat one goal and then again on the delayed penalty. Camera following him back to the bench after the early goal, and you could tell he was owning it.

Reactions: The Apologist

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I think people who watch know when a player makes a mistake, whether it is Bozak, or van Riemsdyk or Marner. Marner is definitely the goat one goal and then again on the delayed penalty. Camera following him back to the bench after the early goal, and you could tell he was owning it.
Its too bad Bozak doesnt own up his plays. Too busy trying to stay above 50% in faceoff%?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Quite frankly, all of the lines sucked defensively yesterday. Pinning it squarely on that line may be a slight hot take.

As for the two players, I think if there was a trade available that would have improved the team for 17/18 this past offseason for either, it would have been executed.

I think it's because it's more that they were the noticeable bad for the 3 goals, but this is true. they were all not so hot.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
The line looks fine to me!? :confused: You guys don't like the Matthews line and now you dont like the Marner line ... 15 goals in 2 games, we should change it up :thumbu:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
When JVR and Marner have played with Kadri for those few minutes, they look better defensively. When they play with Bozak, they are bad defensively. Maybe its time to look at the centre? Or when it comes to Bozak, is it always his wingers fault? First it was Kessel's fault. Than JVR's Fault. Now its Marner's fault.

Bozak is a slug defensively. He has no vision in his own end but is not bad on the attack and at the dot. Good player with a couple 2way player no doubt. JVR is the same, needs 2 way players with him. Marner... Right now, same thing. Why put them.all together?? That's themystery

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Enough was enough for me at the end of last year. I'd made my mind up I wanted JVR gone, even if all we could get was futures. The team may be slightly better with him, but man those defensive lapses just drive me nuts, and I don't think Marner with them his doing him any development favours. Kinda hard to stomach that they're back but we're good and we're winning so that will have to do for now.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

It's all three of them, nobody on that line has a clue defensively

Bozak is a slug defensively. He has no vision in his own end but is not bad on the attack and at the dot. Good player with a couple 2way player no doubt. JVR is the same, needs 2 way players with him. Marner... Right now, same thing. Why put them.all together?? That's themystery

Because where else are we going to put them?

Nobody if breaking up the Matthews line and the Kadri line is playing shut down minutes which nobody on the Bozak line is capable of doing

We're stuck with this line as is unless we trade someone (JVR)

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Reckon we won't see it split up until a trade happens. Problem is, you split them up, and it makes the other lines potentially worse. I'm confident Marner can turn it around (given his work ethic) but JVR and Bozak have been like this for years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad