JVR-Bozak-Marner or JVR-Bozak-Brown ?

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
What 2 birds? I don't think benching marner would be good for his development. If he remains lackadaisical then sure bench him.

Playing him for 5 minutes on the 4th line isn't going to be that much better for his development. Sitting him instead (bird #1) gives Leivo a chance to add a spark (bird #2). Other than for an injury what better time to give Leivo a shot ?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Was told a while ago that they were trying to up Nylanders value for a possible move by playing him with Matthews, at the same time trying to decrease Marners value for his next contract. Not sure how much I believed the 1st part but the 2nd part is beginning to make some sense.

Neither of those sounds particularly believable.

Nylander is with Matthews because they have fantastic chemistry with one another. And why would a team, that's trying to be competitive now try to hamper the play of one of their core players?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
You don't believe Teams would do such things?

you believe that nylander is part of the best line in hockey just to up his trade value?

and you think marner getting the easiest matchups and pp time with good offensive players is to decrease his contract value?

instead of just, you know, willy playing great and mitch not so great?

Reactions: 1specter and Diddy

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Was told a while ago that they were trying to up Nylanders value for a possible move by playing him with Matthews, at the same time trying to decrease Marners value for his next contract. Not sure how much I believed the 1st part but the 2nd part is beginning to make some sense.

Even if this were remotely true, wouldn't it make more sense to decrease Willie's value now (prior to signing new contract) and Marner's next year ?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
you believe that nylander is part of the best line in hockey just to up his trade value?

and you think marner getting the easiest matchups and pp time with good offensive players is to decrease his contract value?

instead of just, you know, willy playing great and mitch not so great?
No I don't believe they are doing that with Nylander, yes I believe Marner hasn't been put in the best place to succeed.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Even if this were remotely true, wouldn't it make more sense to decrease Willie's value now (prior to signing new contract) and Marner's next year ?
Increase to trade and as I said, I don't really believe that.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Playing him for 5 minutes on the 4th line isn't going to be that much better for his development. Sitting him instead (bird #1) gives Leivo a chance to add a spark (bird #2). Other than for an injury what better time to give Leivo a shot ?
First I don't think he will play 5 minutes. Last year when Nylander was n the 4th lne he played equal or more minutes than when he was with Matthews.
I think Marner will be double shifted, given pp minutes and perhaps even pk minutes. All in all I don't think his toi will go down.
As for leivo's ice time, I'm personally not a fan of giving it to him at the expense of Marner. I would grudgingly do it for Brown, but even then Brown would have to be really playing bad for that to happen.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Solution seems simple to me. Flip Martin and JVR in the lineup at 5v5. Fixes the biggest issue with each line imo

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
No I don't believe they are doing that with Nylander, yes I believe Marner hasn't been put in the best place to succeed.

where is that best place? Matthews only has 1 RW, you want Marner to replace Nylander because Marner is your favorite? I don't get it Marner is on the line that is 2nd best place to succeed offensively, they were given easier matchups and offensive zone starts they couldn't handle that.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Ah ha ha hahaha finally my agenda is bearing fruits ah hahaha little Mitch is off the line... Excellent (lightning)

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Hes no grabro huh remedial?

Grabo was boss until he got double concussed. Mitch is a different class of player that has a kiddy pride following that gets really emotional when you give honest criticism regarding him.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
JVR-Bozak-Kessel = minus.
Kessel gets traded and magically becomes a "plus" player.
JVR-Bozak-Marner = minus.
Must be Marner, so he's the one that gets demoted.

What will they do when JVR-Bozak-Brown is a minus too?

No accountability for the veterans. How is it JVR has NEVER been demoted to the 4th line??? He's consistently the most lackadaisicle player we have.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

No accountability for the veterans. How is it JVR has NEVER been demoted to the 4th line??? He's consistently the most lackadaisicle player we have.
Well, would you rather move up Brown or Martin to that line?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Bozak - Marner
Komarov - Kadri - Brown
There's a few other options available as well. It seems like Babcock wants to make a change without rocking the boat though.

I don't think this will be an issue. It's a temporary thing, and when it happened to Nylander he managed to lead all forwards in ice time.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

JVR was demoted in game (NJ) with Martin.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

cmon,
1st: marner is as much a part of that lines problems as the other 2, and
2nd: you demote the player that will be a leaf for 10 years not the 2 you may hope to trade in 10 weeks.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
cmon,
1st: marner is as much a part of that lines problems as the other 2, and
2nd: you demote the player that will be a leaf for 10 years not the 2 you may hope to trade in 10 weeks.

You really think we're hiding JVR's faults to other GM's by not demoting him? Everyone knows he's terrible defensively. Bozak and JVR have history, any away game that line is going to get everyone's top lines against it, other coaches don't even need to come up with new strategies against us, everyone knows the Bozak line is our achilles heel.

Reactions: ACC1224

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
You really think we're hiding JVR's faults to other GM's by not demoting him? Everyone knows he's terrible defensively. Bozak and JVR have history, any away game that line is going to get everyone's top lines against it, other coaches don't even need to come up with new strategies against us, everyone knows the Bozak line is our achilles heel.

of course other gm's know there game defensively is not good, but keeping them in offensive situations, well its easier to trade JVR if he has 20ish goals at the deadline than say 5 on the 4th line isn't it?

Edit: Moving marner is teaching a long term core piece what he wants,

2nd edit: JVR provides goals I hear all the time about how he is a 30/30 guy if we demote him we take his 1 dimension so what would be the point of having on the team then?

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I was watching these highlights from Oilers / Sens game from last Saturday and really felt that we are a bit bit harsh specially on this line and on the defensive end in end

Can you imagine how Oilers fans would have felt after watching this game (with all the talent they have) - absolutely no defense and very sub par goal tending (I know it's just the 4th or 5th game for them)

It was a back to back night for the Sens and the Oilers were well rested

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Grabo was boss until he got double concussed. Mitch is a different class of player that has a kiddy pride following that gets really emotional when you give honest criticism regarding him.
Remember when you used to hate kadri and got mad when grabro got the boot? classic

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Remember when you used to hate kadri and got mad when grabro got the boot? classic

Wasn't me, I liked Kadri and hated Bozak. If I was against Kadri it was short lived and a hot take. I think there was a time when there was rumor of alleged substance abuse but it went nowhere, didn't like Jake at first as well, he annoyed e when I first sw him in the press box texting or whatever. No big thing.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Solution seems simple to me. Flip Martin and JVR in the lineup at 5v5. Fixes the biggest issue with each line imo

I don't see why this cannot be tried. Bozak and JVR joined at the hip must be separated!

You have:
Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Komarov

Try for a few games:
Martin-Bozak-Marner
JVR-Moore-Brown

Let the latter two lines compete for ice time; say what you want about Martin but the guy can play defense better than Bozak/JVR

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: