JVR-Bozak-Marner or JVR-Bozak-Brown ?

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
difference is that Mitch actually deserves it, while Willy never did.
Meh Willie took one shift off last year and since his stint on the 4th line he's been much more assertive.
I do agree it seemed a little harsh but I like the outcome. If Marner reacts the same way, it's a win win situation.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Yes. I posted the line up above
Thank you. Many of us spoke about this as 1 of the only legit options moving forward. If players can't move up to lines, someone had to move down. Marner is the right choice at this moment. His long term learning curve for this team is greater than the others. I have no doubt this will motivate him in new ways. Plus I think Martin/Marner could be fun for a while.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Thank you. Many of us spoke about this as 1 of the only legit options moving forward. If players can't move up to lines, someone had to move down. Marner is the right choice at this moment. His long term learning curve for this team is greater than the others. I have no doubt this will motivate him in new ways. Plus I think Martin/Marner could be fun for a while.
Agreed! And ya I think Martin Marner will be fun. If Martin starts banging home sime sweet Marner feeds, their Instagram accounts should be fun.

Reactions: Bullseye

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
the fact that a line with a 27yo and 31yo needs to be split up for lack of effort, just emphasises the need to trade one or both of them.

Reactions: bobermay

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Was told a while ago that they were trying to up Nylanders value for a possible move by playing him with Matthews, at the same time trying to decrease Marners value for his next contract. Not sure how much I believed the 1st part but the 2nd part is beginning to make some sense.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I don't see any downside here.

Mitch on the 4th only gains balls the size of watermelons -- he has Martin on his line now
Kind of reminds me of this
maxresdefault.jpg

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Probably a fitting line for Mitch to finish the season. Martin and he have great chemistry. Should be very effective.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
That I have doubts about. Babs loves him Som Leo and that line plays right so i dont think he would touch it for now.

I don't think they are going to commit to marner away from bozie and JVR, weve seen this at practice before. Babcock wouldn't hesitate for Nylander to actually play 4th line but he hasn't stuck to Marner playing there. I hope he does it, it will be good for marner

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I don't think they are going to commit to marner away from bozie and JVR, weve seen this at practice before. Babcock wouldn't hesitate for Nylander to actually play 4th line but he hasn't stuck to Marner playing there. I hope he does it, it will be good for marner
Very possible but imo last season Marner played more effectively and consistent for the season so maybe it's only for a few shift or a few games but I would like to see it.
Nith brought up a possible concern in the other thread: Brown won't help the transition game of that line so it might be a step backwards. We will have to see.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Very possible but imo last season Marner played more effectively and consistent for the season so maybe it's only for a few shift or a few games but I would like to see it.
Nith brought up a possible concern in the other thread: Brown won't help the transition game of that line so it might be a step backwards. We will have to see.

to be fair marner is barely helping transition game now. That line gets a shot on goal then hemmed in the defensive end for the rest of their shift, brown will help them get it out and JVR should be able to handle transition

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
to be fair marner is barely helping transition game now. That line gets a shot on goal then hemmed in the defensive end for the rest of their shift, brown will help them get it out and JVR should be able to handle transition
Jvr has never been the transition guy. He was the "I sit at the blueline and wait" guy.

If anything I think brown will help them with starting a cycle game

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Jvr has never been the transition guy. He was the "I sit at the blueline and wait" guy.

If anything I think brown will help them with starting a cycle game

for me there should only be 1 result. If the line succeeds without marner we cant keep marner on the 4th line all season so JVR will need to be traded and brown can become the hyman to bozak and marner. If the line doesn't work marner going back is going to be the same problem as now and JVR should be traded brown replacing him

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Would have been better to bench him and put Leivo on the 4th line. Would have killed 2 birds with one stone.
What 2 birds? I don't think benching marner would be good for his development. If he remains lackadaisical then sure bench him.

Diddy

Feb 20, 2015
SK
Was told a while ago that they were trying to up Nylanders value for a possible move by playing him with Matthews, at the same time trying to decrease Marners value for his next contract. Not sure how much I believed the 1st part but the 2nd part is beginning to make some sense.

I'd really like to hear your source on this one. It just sounds ridiculous.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
for me there should only be 1 result. If the line succeeds without marner we cant keep marner on the 4th line all season so JVR will need to be traded and brown can become the hyman to bozak and marner. If the line doesn't work marner going back is going to be the same problem as now and JVR should be traded brown replacing him
I think most of us agree that jvr should be gone at some point and brown seems the logical replacement.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

Haha what a load of shit, you were told were you who by?.

The main reason Nylander works better with Matthews is he has a threat with his shot, marners shot is not close to a threat take his passing lane and that takes away from his linemates scoring opportunities. If Marner was with Matthews we aren't as likely to win in OT like Saturday night price could cheat to Matthews shot knowing he will likely get back to stop Marners weak shot if he was forced to shoot

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Mitch has been brutal by his standards to start the season but holy **** people need to chill, he's still an elite, elite player. Put him with any combination of players not named van Riemsdyk and Bozak and he'll excel, especially once he hits midseason form. As long as the demotion is just a statement to light a fire under his ass, on a very short-term basis, I think it's a good move. But we have to acknowledge that it's a massive amount of wasted potential while he's there, and our team will be worse because of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad