JVR-Bozak-Marner or JVR-Bozak-Brown ?

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
Game #4 vs the Devils (ESGF: 0, ESGA: 2 [JVR/Mariner], 1 [Bozak])

Goal against #2: This is a pretty comical play, where the Devils end up with a breakaway from a 1-on-3. The puck is chipped over center ice from the Devils zone, and after Mariner takes a wave at it at center ice, Rosen gloves it right onto the Devil's forward stick 10' in front of Freddy. Borgman just watched with skates cemented to ice, as the other 2 made fools of themselves. The goat goes to Rosen on that play, with Mariner and Borgman picking up the specatator award.

Goal against #3: Leafs on double man advantage, with JVR-Matthews-Mariner up front, backed up by Gardiner-Nylander. A lost scramble draw on which all 3 forwards were drawn in ends up on defender's stick who tries to bank the puck off the boards. Gardiner blocks it at the blue line, but he gets caught out of position, facing the boards, as the puck bounces off him onto the forechecking forward's stick. This leads to a 2-on-1 zone entry into the Leafs zone, with Gardiner trying to catch up. Nylander switches to puck carrier, but gets beat on the outside that results in a bad angle shot on net. The rebound pops out up front to the man Gardiner should have been marking after the switch, but alas, he was caught puck watching. A couple of brain farts by Jake, bad rebound by Andersen, and weak defending by Willie for getting burnt on the outside. The forwards do not deserve a knock against them.

Adjusted +/- for the game:
Bozak: 0 (instead of -1)
JVR: 0 (instead of -2)
Mariner: -1 (instead of -2)

Last edited:

bleaf87

Oct 16, 2017
The 6
No way of easing into this, i'm too blunt. The line sucks defensively, it's probably one of the best offensive 3rd lines in the game but gives up way too much defensively and makes games a bit closer then they need to be some nights.

Something may be solved by simply trading only 1 of JVR or Bozak but I think enough is enough for me in regards to these guys. I would prefer to move JVR as Bozak is fine as a 3C and let's us keep Nylander with Matthews this year.

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Komarov-Kadri-Brown
Marleau-Bozak-Marner
Martin-Moore-Fehr/Leivo

Thoughts?
We need to split the Bozak line up. They are -15 in five games this season!!!

JVR Matthews Brown
Komarov Bozak Nylander
Marleau Kadri Marner
Martin Fehr Hyman

Big Z Bobby Orr
Rilley Hainsey
Carrick Borgman

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
I would like to see Babcock challenge Marner the same way he did with Kadri. Komarov NEEDS to be on the same line as Marner to teach him everything the same way he did with Kadri.

Komarov - Kadri - Marner

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
The line is our worst defensively by far. JVR gets blamed a lot, and he definitely is lazy. But when it comes down to it we need a better centre than Bozak if we want that line to be strong defensively.

Then again if you replaced JVR with Komarov im sure that line would be way better defensively but they wouldnt score.

Its tiresome watching Marner play on this line, he really needs someone to run and gun with, like Nylander and Matthews do. He has elite potential and ability to make amazing plays but he needs to play with good players. Bozak is simply not right for Marner and as talented as JVR is he is more of a complimentary player on a line, not a go to guy with the puck. I do think its time for Babcock to get creative with the lines, i know he wants to build chemistry but i think he should start building it elsewhere. JVR and Bozak are likely gone next year anyways so screw them...For Marners development we need to mix up the lines this year, get him playing with Kadri and Marleau or maybe Connor Brown...Something other then these two all the time.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
here is my for fun new lineup:

Line1: Hyman-Matthews-Nylander //cause why change uber dominance
Line2: JVR-Marleau-Marner //Because Marleaus size skating vision and experience make him perfect as a C.
Line3: Komarov-Kadri-Brown //Classic shutdown line with speed and tenacity on the forecheck along with an easy 60 goals between the 3 of them
Line4: Martin-Bozak-Leivo //Bozak and Leivo could definitely work well together and score some goals.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I now like JVR and a 5x5 is fine. The guy I feel we need to trade are. Martin Moore Bozak.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Glad we have good depth on the wing as it will give us options if the JVR/Bozak era ends soon.

Matthews and Nylander down the middle with a mix of Hyman, Brown, Kapanen, Leivo, Marner, Grundstrom, Dzierkals, Bracco, Johnsson, or Timashov to hopefully fill up the extra slots in time.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Maclean was on 590 and took a pretty good shot at Bozak and JVR, saying it's pretty sad that you're relying on a kid to carry that line. I agree, Mitch did it last year, he's a bit off this year but is getting zero JAM from his veteran linemates. Bozak is in a coma.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Maclean was on 590 and took a pretty good shot at Bozak and JVR, saying it's pretty sad that you're relying on a kid to carry that line. I agree, Mitch did it last year, he's a bit off this year but is getting zero JAM from his veteran linemates. Bozak is in a coma.

JVR actually scores. Mitchs wrists bend back when trying to pass a light little puck right now.

Joedoggy

Feb 7, 2017
I now like JVR and a 5x5 is fine. The guy I feel we need to trade are. Martin Moore Bozak.

You love soft players/team...the three you mention are all solid NHL players...Filling the lineup with AHL personal like was done last year is not the way to win a cup. You fail to give kudos consistently to players like Martin etc that have been solid and were stuck playing with 11 different personal on his line. Not to mention for 64 games of last years schedule had to play with AHL personal.

"Ask yourself how many players could do this and be a even player?"

Hope this helps since you consistently beat the same drum. I get it you don't like strong/ defensive/protective players....No biggy...but your same old is getting to be "the same old".

"No merit or base of hockey fact" so its hard to take you seriously based on hockey.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
You love soft players/team...the three you mention are all solid NHL players...Filling the lineup with AHL personal like was done last year is not the way to win a cup. You fail to give kudos consistently to players like Martin etc that have been solid and were stuck playing with 11 different personal on his line. Not to mention for 64 games of last years schedule had to play with AHL personal.

Hope this helps since you consistently beat the same drum. I get it you don't like strong/ defensive/protective players....No biggy...but your same old is getting to be "the same old".

I like Borgman. Grundy has potential. The Goat although not a hitter uses his body well. Rychel just sucks but I was hopeful. Get me a guy that can pot more than 9 pts and fight and I am for it.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Maclean sees and states the obvious. I'd say by Christmas they finally move on from JVR, long overdue.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
JVR actually scores. Mitchs wrists bend back when trying to pass a light little puck right now.
Without playing the blame game, that line as a whole needs to be addressed.
It either needs a solid defensive minded center between JVR/Marner or a more defensive minded physical/greasy/cycle winger. Either way defensive minded is the key. A bigger Brown in some capacity.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
You just prove the point, if there was a posting league you'd be on waivers, nobody would claim you and you'd be in a beer league in Whitehorse. Z
Maclean sees and states the obvious. I'd say by Christmas they finally move on from JVR, long overdue.
Agreed. I don't see any way we are signing JVR, so he's leaving, just a question if we ride out the season. With the dysfunction of that line, coupled with the logjam at wing, I think we move JVR.

Reactions: Gallagbi

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I don't think it's sad at all. Welcome to the reality of a good young team. That's how this is supposed to work.

MacLean also said they need a top 4 D to push Hainsey down to the bottom pairing, like he has no business in that top 4.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
For the remainder of the year. Resigning is debatable. On one hand you may want to if he takes a large hometown discount. On the other, he may be less intense after he signs new deal.
Lol...can't imagine "less intense", it's tough to find a pulse most nights as it is.
I think this will happen with Bozak. Keep for the year and bring back only on a cheap extension, most likely he walks.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Lol...can't imagine "less intense", it's tough to find a pulse most nights as it is.
I think this will happen with Bozak. Keep for the year and bring back only on a cheap extension, most likely he walks.

Yeah, I thought the same thing when I wrote it, but he is playing for a contract. He is never going to be as intense as he is this season :)

I am happy to let any or all of our UFAs walk this year.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I blame Marner for the defensive woes, because I remember how great JVR and Bozak were with Kessel, a real defensive juggernaut that never got hemmed in their own end. Clearly, it's Marner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad