JVR-Bozak-Marner or JVR-Bozak-Brown ?

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Bozak isnt good enough and looks like another person is making excuses for him by blaming his linemates. Its never Bozak's fault apparently.
Its odd how JVR and Marner look better when paired with Kadri.
The sooner the excuses for Bozak stop, the more objectivity there can be about his play which isnt good enough in the defensive zone. There is a reason Bozak never gets quality defensive linemates as they dont want those players to be dragged down by him, and also, Bozak hasnt earned the opportunity to play with defensively responsible linemates.

People aren't making excuses about Bozak, multiple people have all said he had a rough game last night.

Kadri is the center who everyone blames the wingers for any of his mistakes. Do you not remember how when Kadri couldn't score it was never his fault for some reason?

It's slightly ridiculous to claim that people don't blame Bozak, he's been the whipping boy of so many for the last five years.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Didn't Marner struggle in the playoffs and last part of last year's season

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
It looks like Marner is the rookie that will be hit with the sophomore slump, at least initially. He hasn't looked like himself at all in these games. He hasn't been creating even half as much as he usually does and defensively he has been lacklustre although that could be said for his entire line.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
It looks like Marner is the rookie that will be hit with the sophomore slump, at least initially. He hasn't looked like himself at all in these games. He hasn't been creating even half as much as he usually does and defensively he has been lacklustre although that could be said for his entire line.

I disagree, he looks faster , stronger and more elusive than ever. The only thing holding him back is his finish. The scoring chance pass and shot has been off. The rest of his game is on for sure

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Can someone explain to me wtf is up with Marner's obsession of half clappers. Every time he has the puck on the PP its come off the half wall, wind up his stick to his waist and either half clap it on net or slap pass it. He does this about 80% of the time... Like change it up.

Then on a 2 on 1 or something he did the exact same thing. Like youre not Cody Franson, you taking a shot like that has barely any power behind it.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
I would love to see Marner play with Marleau and Kadri but it's NEVER going to happen. Babcock is stubborn, and he will never remove Komarov from Kadri's line, he has his combos that he never changes: Hyman-Matthews, JVR-Bozak, and Komarov-Kadri.
Which I understand, but what’s the harm of trying something new for a game or so? Unless Komarov, Bozak and JVR take huge discounts, none of those guys are gonna be here next year. What’s the harm in seeing what else we’ve got chemistry wise?

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
Unfortunately that is the way it is with this trio.

If you could keep them off the ice 5v5 Leafs would give up a lot less goals against as they're clearly the weakest links defensively and hurting the team most in that area.
Hahaha could you imagine if Babs just used them sticky as a PP unit :laugh:

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
The line is definitely defensively challenged but scored first goal last night to tie the game. Marner was supposed to work on his shot over the summer. Have yet to see any positive results.

Reactions: francis246

GrizzLeaf

Registered Bear
Aug 13, 2010
Quebec
No one doubts that JVR can score and Bozak is a decent center. But why are they together? Split them up and get some different line matches going. The first line is the only line that has a high level of compete at both ends of the rink.

Both players are getting older and older, competing less and less and they both can be defensive liabilities most nights. Split them up already.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Like I said in the other Nylander thread. People can hate on this line all they want but hey always find a way to score and shift momentum. They scored the big first goal, every line has at least one deficiency or a problem. No line is completely perfect. The line gets a lot of blame for goals against but review the tape. Both goals were point shots Anderson should have had.

The reality is they actually weren't all that bad.. they made a better defensive effort ln than I've seen in the other 4 games. I'm honestly sick of the negativity around here. You guys only focus on the negative aspects and choose to ignore the positive.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Needs to be more willing to shoot it on the PP (Marner) and the whole line defensively is good for at least 2 goals against per game.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
And that's the way it goes most games
And that would be ok if it was just the two of them allowing 66% but scoring 31% of their goals. I'm concerned with the impact they're having on Marner. He's been caught being careless with the puck or off-balance defensively too many times. I wonder if the lackadaisacal play of those other two is seeping into his game. Marner just hasn't looked the same in these first 5 games.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Like I said in the other Nylander thread. People can hate on this line all they want but hey always find a way to score and shift momentum. They scored the big first goal, every line has at least one deficiency or a problem. No line is completely perfect. The line gets a lot of blame for goals against but review the tape. Both goals were point shots Anderson should have had.

The reality is they actually weren't all that bad.. they made a better defensive effort ln than I've seen in the other 4 games. I'm honestly sick of the negativity around here. You guys only focus on the negative aspects and choose to ignore the positive.
I'm positive that defensively they're terrible.

Last edited:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
People aren't making excuses about Bozak, multiple people have all said he had a rough game last night.

Kadri is the center who everyone blames the wingers for any of his mistakes. Do you not remember how when Kadri couldn't score it was never his fault for some reason?

It's slightly ridiculous to claim that people don't blame Bozak, he's been the whipping boy of so many for the last five years.
The entire line, Marner included need to take responsibility for the combined issue. That being said, Marner is 20 years old, vastly more talented than the other two and the line will be reconfigured around Marner to stabilize these current issues in the future.
As of right now, the play on the other side of the puck is wanting.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
And that would be ok if it was just the two of them allowing 66% but scoring 31% of their goals. I'm concerned with the impact they're having on Marner. He's been caught being careless with the puck or off-balance defensively too many times. I wonder if the lackadaisacal play of those other two is seeping into his game. Marner just hasn't looked the same in these first 5 games.

Marner and Bozak both have 4 ESP, Marner -6, Bozak -4.
van Riemsdyk 6 ESP, -5.

Rielly, 0(zero) ESP, -4. Rielly got one of those by throwing the puck around the boards to Marner who never got it and then it was a tip in goal for Drouin, who van Riemsdyk was admiring.

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario
Can someone explain to me wtf is up with Marner's obsession of half clappers. Every time he has the puck on the PP its come off the half wall, wind up his stick to his waist and either half clap it on net or slap pass it. He does this about 80% of the time... Like change it up.

Then on a 2 on 1 or something he did the exact same thing. Like youre not Cody Franson, you taking a shot like that has barely any power behind it.

JVR almost got a goal off the slap pass and it seemed pretty obvious to me that he was shooting for a rebound on the 2 on 1. Both were good plays that didn't end up in the net.

Sep 18, 2009
This line sucks, it should be changed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Marleau - Bozak - Marner
JVR - Kadri - Leo

Reactions: WWB

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
No one is questioning there offensive production but there is no need to get emotional and defending this line

This line is struggling defensively and they need to sort this out - I am not sure, what we are arguing about?

Despite their offensive production this line is -15 in just 5 games, despite playing the weaker opponents (most of their shifts) - obviously there is some thing not right and that need some adjustment

Last edited:

WWB

Jun 30, 2010
Ontario
I'd like to see either Marleau or Kadri switch spots. I def feel like Bozak is the weakest link on that line, but me and my friends have renamed Bozak and JVR the tin men...if they only had a heart.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad