Speculation: Jumbo Joe on the way?

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Lol. Kadri was the heart and sole of the leafs. Ultimate no show Nylander wins that’s award by a landslide
Yes sire. We only get rid of REAL thugs who hit that thang and still score them game winners. That's what we DON*T NEED LOL! Great job dubas :clap:

More of these please. More of getting rid of hymans and thugs. We don't need no hustlers or pimps who hit that thang. Who fight. Win. Care.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Instead of bringing in players from the nursing home, how about we just trade for a younger quality, gritty, heart guy like that Kadri kid on Colorado.

You guys think Barrie + Kerfoot could get it done? These two are useless, but other teams might see some value.

A lot of moves Dubas makes in theory should work out but don't.

I love Naz but he is turning 30 this year and has doesn't seem like a gym rat. I could see the urgency to move on him when Dubas did but that did not work out.

Reactions: Smif

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Dubas' genius plan all the way from a couple of years ago...trade Kadri and sign Thornton because they didn't get along...is Thornton's torn piece of beard still lying on the ice somewhere? Maybe Dubas has it under his pillow...:sarcasm:

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Jumbo Joe doesnt fit with this roster just like how Jason Spezza doesn't fit in with this roster. You cannot complain about the Leafs being soft etc with Spezza on the 4th line. If you are going to have players like Thornton or Spezza then they need to be playing on offensive lines. These are not defensive minded or defense first players.

cesareborgia

Jun 9, 2010
Kadri was the ultimate definition of a playoff no show. If he wasn't idiotically getting suspended, he was completely MIA on the ice.
Bad post, give your head a shake. Just check out what he's doing for the Avs; he's their MVP.

But Barrie and Kerfoot are much more useful in the playoffs, right? That's sarcasm, as I'm sensing you're probably not someone that picks up on things like this.

Kadri is exactly what a team needs in the playoffs. As I said before, we need MORE players that would be willing to take a suspension for the team in the playoffs, not less.

Reactions: Faltorvo

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Spezza and Thornton as bottom 6 centres is fine. All though it would be slow.

How can you say this with a straight face???
2 former 1st line centers as your #3 and #4 centers??? That'll work.....lol

Basically, your Leafs would have 4 x 1st line centers in your team, 2 current, 2 former.
Also; 1st overall pick, 1st overall pick, 1st overall pick, 2nd overall pick......

That be the biggest troll of center's, like ever.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Dubas' genius plan all the way from a couple of years ago...trade Kadri and sign Thornton because they didn't get along...is Thornton's torn piece of beard still lying on the ice somewhere? Maybe Dubas has it under his pillow...:sarcasm:
Actually Elliotte Friedman taped it to his face.

Reactions: Superstar

cesareborgia

Jun 9, 2010
Yes sire. We only get rid of REAL thugs who hit that thang and still score them game winners. That's what we DON*T NEED LOL! Great job dubas :clap:

More of these please. More of getting rid of hymans and thugs. We don't need no hustlers or pimps who hit that thang. Who fight. Win. Care.
Yup. We traded one of our only players willing to back up a teammate, willing to take a suspension for the team. We need more of these players, not less. These are the players you win with. Players who have heart, desire, grit.

Yup, look at his Leaf stats. Don't give a flying f*** what he does elsewhere in a completely different situation..
This guy is living in bananaville.

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004
Thornton might just be the type of leader and experienced veteran this team needs. Spezza is great; but Thornton may be able to help the young players bridge the gap and win. Can't hurt. Anyone see the quote from Elliot?
Spezza got neutered by Babcock in the first game of the season. Spezza turned into a solid addition. And the only one with a real set of gonads on the whole effing team, cept for Jake and Kyle. In the immortal words of the GM from Slapshot......"bunch a........p***yes!!!!"

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
That would be a blessing for fans, that hate Maple Leafs. How many times did it work, that such old former star brought a Stanley Cup?

To be clear, i dont belong to this group.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
You know I have to be honest the idea of a Engvall Thornton Watson 4th line intriuges me, if for no other reason than the size that line would bring

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Spezza and Thornton as bottom 6 centres is fine. All though it would be slow.
Fine for what? Missing the playoffs again? :laugh:

Thornton and Spezza are individually very likeable guys who’ve had great NHL careers, but neither fill a need on this edition of the Toronto Maple Leafs. They’re both shells of their former selves, can’t skate, and are two of the least intense great players I’ve watched over the last 15 years. They’re more of the same and do nothing to recompose the roster.

I would say Dubas is smarter than that, but he’s proven otherwise with acquisitions like Tyson Barrie.

Hard to believe anyone could watch the Bruins/Lightning game and think the Leafs need more low intensity, soft skill to close the gap.

Leafs actually need a RH 4C that can win faceoffs, kill penalties, and most importantly play intense and physical. Basically the exact opposite of Joe Thornton.

Hard to believe Kyle Dubas is an NHL General Manager.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Yup. We traded one of our only players willing to back up a teammate, willing to take a suspension for the team. We need more of these players, not less. These are the players you win with. Players who have heart, desire, grit.

This guy is living in bananaville.

I loved Kadri but I can't remember him ever backing up a teammate. He would stand up for himself and cause some things but I don't remember him dropping the gloves for someone else.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
you cannot complain about toughness, grit, etc as a fan base and then want the Leafs to dress Spezza and Thornton in the bottom 6 of your lineup.

This does not compute.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
you cannot complain about toughness, grit, etc as a fan base and then want the Leafs to dress Spezza and Thornton in the bottom 6 of your lineup.

This does not compute.

Precisely !

Also, Jumbo has been a choker for most of his life; Leafs need to get out of the "choking" habit not add another choker to the club.

Leafs also have to stop being a "retirement" club for players; if they did not want to come here in their prime; then they we don't have space for your washed up butt in this city

Reactions: 81Leafs50

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The more I think about Thornton, the more it feels like a sideshow for semi educated casual fans as a former big name to recognize. Can’t see him doing any more for the Leafs in a game seven than a Marleau did last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad