Speculation: Jumbo Joe on the way?

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
He’s better than the goat. On a Spezza deal I’d take him.

Thats sort of my take. They have no money and I guess I am less concerned about an upgrade on Kerfoot then I am on the bigger holes on the club that they need more cap space to fill. $2m in cap space if it helps to solve the RD issue can be the silver bullet to their season. With two superstar centers who can play over 40:00 a night and Goat at 8:00+ the center minutes to replace are between 10 and 12. We know Spezza is still great on the dot so anyone they put in at #3 isnt going to be relied on much beyond playing smart hockey. I think a $1m player can do that whether its Jumbo or someone else.

Regarding Goat, his replacement IMO is a different discussion. Thornton comes in at #3 or not at all. The things you might want to see in a low minute guy that Gauthier lacks are energy, hitting and agitation and all Jumbo brings there is better offence.

Duckrider

Oct 6, 2015
Anyone Like Jumbo Joe at league is fine. If it doesnt work out the marlies are next door. More upside than down.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
Anyone Like Jumbo Joe at league is fine. If it doesnt work out the marlies are next door. More upside than down.

I think we'd mutually part ways if we couldnt trade him rather then sending a future Hall of famer to the minors if it didn't work out.

He never won a cup, but I like to think his curse mixed with our curse could help, like a negative and a negative becomes positive :laugh:

Its a low risk signing imo if we are gonna be losing 3-4 forwards. Robertson might even need some more seasoning in the AHL, you never know.

Reactions: WestCoastLeafs

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I think we'd mutually part ways if we couldnt trade him rather then sending a future Hall of famer to the minors.

He never won a cup, but I like to think his curse mixed with our curse could help, like a negative and a negative becomes positive :laugh:

Thornton scores 4 goals in game 7 to clinch the cup only to have it taken away when does his planned celebration.

Reactions: kb and TheScandal89

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
If both would be willing to sign for league minimum then you bring in both.
Maybe Jerome Iginla is interested in a comeback at league minimum as well. Danny Heatley used to be pretty effective with Spezza......hey why not?

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

Yea, Kyle is going to sign a future HOF player and send him to the Marlies.:laugh:

The city just about lost it's collective mind over Spezza not starting the home opener.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Maybe Jerome Iginla is interested in a comeback at league minimum as well. Danny Heatley used to be pretty effective with Spezza......hey why not?

Perry has played, in these playoffs, with more heart, grit and determination than the whole Leafs' squad put together.

Reactions: LeafChief

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Stats from last season:

Thornton: 31 points in 70 games
Kapanen: 36 points in 69 games
Kerfoot: 28 points in 65 games

Thornton is on the downside of his career - no one is arguing that. If he can be signed at $700k-$800k and put up 25-30 points while bringing some leadership to a team that needs it badly, they would be stupid not to sign him.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I remember the early 2000's when they brought in guy after guy like this and it never once worked. I was actually shocked how well Spezza worked out. Why would you want to push your luck?

Reactions: kb

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Imagine Robertson getting pucks fed to him by one of the best passers to ever play.

Mikheyev Tavares Nylander
Korshkov Matthews Marner
Robertson Thornton Hyman
Clifford Engvall Perry

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad