Speculation: Jumbo Joe on the way?

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
Until the leafs win the cup, we shouldn't be signing vets who have not won the cup. I didnt know at the time but Tavares hasn't won a playoff round ever. We need to stop surrounding the core with losers and bring a winning culture, this was the message before we drafted Matthews. Why would vets chasing the cup sign with the LEAFS for league minimum? Because other contending teams dont want them..

ever notice that the only time the Leafs can sign any of the higher-end players is when they're old, washed up and about to retire? Otherwise 98% of these superstars wouldn't touch Toronto with a 10 foot pole, and history is the proof... Tavares is the outlier here

so yeah Joe fits right into that category. Would he have signed here 10, 15 years ago? Not a chance in hell. But of course he'll sign here now, why not cash in on a few more bucks before calling it a career?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
The more I think about Thornton, the more it feels like a sideshow for semi educated casual fans as a former big name to recognize. Can’t see him doing any more for the Leafs in a game seven than a Marleau did last year.
if you are counting on a 4th line league min player in a game 7

then you need to get your head screwed back on

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
If Clifford will take a hometown discount and Spezza does the same again, I'm happy with that as a 4th line. Quite often our second best line throughout the series and all guys that can play up in the lineup in the event of injuries

Signing Clifford will cost a 3rd because of the condition. Not sure how interested I am with that price tag attached

He was kind of invisible in the CBJ series

Cobra777

Jun 26, 2018
Wasaga Beach
Leafs should never put a 37 yr old with 4 daughters in that position. Shows the true lack of toughness and grit on the Leafs.
I think it was more a reaction to circumstance because he wants to win and not bow out without any emotion being frustrated as well as try to light some fire because he is not known as an aggressive guy. You are 100% right in claiming the teams true lack of both mental and physical toughness

Cobra777

Jun 26, 2018
Wasaga Beach
Signing Clifford will cost a 3rd because of the condition. Not sure how interested I am with that price tag attached

He was kind of invisible in the CBJ series
Costing a 3rd is hard to give up but you cannot blame anyone for anything for being invisible as until game 2 the 4th line barely saw ice time, Game 2 his 1st shift and big hit set the tone for a victory and he was all over the puck and supplied good support with it that game because he got the chance to play. Game 3 he played well enough also they had a 3-0 lead and blew it from the rest of the team that stopped skating and watched in panic when Columbus scored. Same as 2013 the leaf team was one of the toughest in the league with Orr, McClaren, Mark Frazier, Kadri, etc these individuals were responsible for the rest of the team to do their thing without fear of intimidation and make it to the post season and were responsible for their team not getting pushed around against Boston the whole series until Carlyle pretty much benched Orr, MClaren and gave limited time to Mark Frazier the very hard teeth of your team the 3rd period. Being up 4-1 with 7 or 8 min left they eventually lost the game not playing what got them there in the 1st place. Boston ran all over the team and put them in complete panic and we could not get the puck out of our zone shift after shift until collapse. If he had played his physical guys out for a shift or two to break that siege as they were responsible enough defensively and had the physicality to push back and stop that heinous cycle that happened might of resulted in a different outcome. Sorry for long wind.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
ever notice that the only time the Leafs can sign any of the higher-end players is when they're old, washed up and about to retire? Otherwise 98% of these superstars wouldn't touch Toronto with a 10 foot pole, and history is the proof... Tavares is the outlier here

so yeah Joe fits right into that category. Would he have signed here 10, 15 years ago? Not a chance in hell. But of course he'll sign here now, why not cash in on a few more bucks before calling it a career?

Ever notice players don't reach UFA status until they are older?

Reactions: LeafChief

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
Not true, Tavares got the 2OT goal for the Islanders in game 6 against the Panthers with a wrap around to end their 23 year 1st round drought. He also scored the game tying goal in the final minute of that game.

He even played 11 games that post season, so I'm not sure where you got your information from.
I already said my bad he won 1 series his career

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
he fits the criteria

41 years old former supserstar, washed up, ready to retire, is looking for a final payday even if it's league minimum.

Come on in Joe, Toronto is always looking for guys just like you

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
he fits the criteria

41 years old former supserstar, washed up, ready to retire, is looking for a final payday even if it's league minimum.

That's not really a "payday", especially when he could go elsewhere and likely land a higher deal based on name recognition

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
he fits the criteria

A lot of GTA kids that grew up cheering for Leafs as kids getting to fulfill a dream at very end of careers to wear the blue & white one in their lifetime.

We saw Eric Lindros and Jason Allison etc and we saw how that turned out in the past.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad