Player Discussion Josh Manson

Jul 22, 2012
Manson really reminds me of Jacob Trouba when I watch him play. Maybe it's just me, but his skating, drive and physicality seem really similar to Troubas.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
Can you elaborate on how he needs to step his game up? He was on the top pairing with Lindholm last game and he's looked pretty good to me.

He's been pretty good but he hasn't been nearly good enough to force a proven veteran d-man to be scratch and another to be traded. He makes a lot of risky plays and has been lucky so far that they haven't blown up in his face. He'll need to show he can be reliable every shift if Murray is going to make such moves.

2faded

Jul 3, 2009
Torrance, CA
He's been pretty good but he hasn't been nearly good enough to force a proven veteran d-man to be scratch and another to be traded. He makes a lot of risky plays and has been lucky so far that they haven't blown up in his face. He'll need to show he can be reliable every shift if Murray is going to make such moves.

I dont agree with the bolded and I don't think the coaches do either or he wouldn't have played 23 min last game on Lindholm's pairing.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
I dont agree with the bolded and I don't think the coaches do either or he wouldn't have played 23 min last game on Lindholm's pairing.

Did you miss the several times he tried to skate the puck through every defender or the numerous times he's thrown the puck up the middle of the ice? Regardless Boudreau isn't going to scratch two of Allen/Stoner/Lovejoy and Murray isn't going to trade one of them to keep this kid. That's ridiculous. I like this kid too but we're getting way ahead of ourselves.

2faded

Jul 3, 2009
Torrance, CA
Did you miss the several times he tried to skate the puck through every defender or the numerous times he's thrown the puck up the middle of the ice? Regardless Boudreau isn't going to scratch two of Allen/Stoner/Lovejoy and Murray isn't going to trade one of them to keep this kid. That's ridiculous. I like this kid too but we're getting way ahead of ourselves.

I thought his rushes were pretty sweet. :laugh: I didn't say anything about trading someone I just wanted your opinion on how he should step his game up. And re: my previous post, maybe the coaches do agree because according Stephens he's with Manson tonight.

edit: Actually, I think he's on that pairing because Beauch is back. Forgot about that.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
He's been good but he'd really have to step his game up to force Murray to make a move to keep him here. His game is still so raw that I think Murray will have no problem sending him back. Keeping him would mean keeping him in the lineup and thus scratching Lovejoy and trading one of Allen or Fistric. I really don't see that happening.

If in some universe Manson kept his current play at this level for the duration of the injury I don't think it's that simple. Murray did it with fowler and with lindholm, ie, he kept the player who in his mind gave the team the best chance to succeed.

I have no problem at this point saying Manson at this current level brings more to the team than Lovejoy ever did, but that does ignore the value of consistency, experience, and the room, things Manson can't provide no matter what he does in the next four weeks.

Still, Murray hasn't been above choosing pure talent over the rest, and if Manson keeps this up I don't see it remotely out of the possibility Murray acknowledges that somehow.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
With that said, I don't expect Manson to keep the pace. The thing he has going for him though is that he doesn't exactly fit into a stereotypical precedent, so maybe my curve of expectation for the kid needs to be re-calibrated. I don't know, it's really weird.

2faded

Jul 3, 2009
Torrance, CA
I thought his rushes were pretty sweet. :laugh: I didn't say anything about trading someone I just wanted your opinion on how he should step his game up. And re: my previous post, maybe the coaches do agree because according Stephens he's with Manson tonight.

edit: Actually, I think he's on that pairing because Beauch is back. Forgot about that.

double edit: meant Manson was with Stoner on the bottom pairing.

2faded

Jul 3, 2009
Torrance, CA
If in some universe Manson kept his current play at this level for the duration of the injury I don't think it's that simple. Murray did it with fowler and with lindholm, ie, he kept the player who in his mind gave the team the best chance to succeed.

I have no problem at this point saying Manson at this current level brings more to the team than Lovejoy ever did, but that does ignore the value of consistency, experience, and the room, things Manson can't provide no matter what he does in the next four weeks.

Still, Murray hasn't been above choosing pure talent over the rest, and if Manson keeps this up I don't see it remotely out of the possibility Murray acknowledges that somehow.

Agree with all of this, especially the bolded. Couldn't have said it better. And yea, he would need to keep up his play. Sure is fun to watch at his current level of play.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust

That's complete nonsense. I know we all like to get excited when a rookie comes onto the scene and impresses, I'm in that camp with this kid for sure. But he hasn't brought what Lovejoy has brought let alone exceeded. Using his size maybe but that's it.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
That's complete nonsense. I know we all like to get excited when a rookie comes onto the scene and impresses, I'm in that camp with this kid for sure. But he hasn't brought what Lovejoy has brought let alone exceeded. Using his size maybe but that's it.

Puck movement? Vision? Pure physical ability? I didn't say that Manson is better than Lovejoy, that's something else entirely, but the level Manson has displayed, yes that is better than Lovejoy has ever flashed here. It's not taboo to say that.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
Puck movement? Vision? Pure physical ability? I didn't say that Manson is better than Lovejoy, that's something else entirely, but the level Manson has displayed, yes that is better than Lovejoy has ever flashed here. It's not taboo to say that.

Potential maybe. But no he hasn't displayed an aptitude in any of those areas on par and definitely not greater than Lovejoy. This kid has played 8 NHL games and has looked like a rookie a lot of the time.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Potential maybe. But no he hasn't displayed an aptitude in any of those areas on par and definitely not greater than Lovejoy. This kid has played 8 NHL games and has looked like a rookie a lot of the time.

I'll just have to disagree with you then.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Manson will be an ideal 8th dman with Allen now out of the way.

One thing I think might also add to is versatility. I think when we lost Jackman in last years playoffs it really wore the team down playing both the dirty Stars and then the Kings. I think Manson would be able to play Jackmans forward role if needed. He was a forward growing up and this might give manson more playing opportunity once Lovejoy and Beauchemin are back.

Now if they can find a way to trade Heatley next to make room for Rene...

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Manson will be an ideal 8th dman with Allen now out of the way.

One thing I think might also add to is versatility. I think when we lost Jackman in last years playoffs it really wore the team down playing both the dirty Stars and then the Kings. I think Manson would be able to play Jackmans forward role if needed. He was a forward growing up and this might give manson more playing opportunity once Lovejoy and Beauchemin are back.

Now if they can find a way to trade Heatley next to make room for Rene...

Manson is not going to be kept here to play a desperation forward position on some emergency basis. if he's now the 8th D man he will go back to the A and play regularly until he is needed again to play D here.

2faded

Jul 3, 2009
Torrance, CA

He absolutely has. Passing alone the guy has made great breakout passes that most defenders can't even see, and clearly ones that Lovejoy can't since most of the time the puck is off the glass back to the other team.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
He absolutely has. Passing alone the guy has made great breakout passes that most defenders can't even see, and clearly ones that Lovejoy can't since most of the time the puck is off the glass back to the other team.

That's simply wrong. For every time Lovejoy makes the safe play off the glass there's a half a dozen times he makes an outlet pass up the ice. Manson has iced the puck plenty of times in these 8 games.

TesseracT

Go Ducks! Go Huskies!
May 29, 2011
Knoxville, TN
A lot of D-men had to go down for Manson to get his shot. He's taken advantage of it and impressed a lot of people. However, I think it just boils down to how many guys had to get injured for him to get that shot. They're all going to be healthy eventually. I'd like to see Manson kept up but I just don't think our eventual, healthy situation will allow that to happen. If our d-men get back and they suck royally then I'd be all for moving them so Manson could get a permanent spot. Though I'm scared to think how horribly those d-men would have to play to allow Manson to be called up permanently considering the coaching staff was probably assuming Manson would take a full year in Norfolk to develop into an NHL-caliber player.

EDIT: Crap, made this post before seeing that Allen was traded. Still think it holds true though. Haha

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
A lot of D-men had to go down for Manson to get his shot. He's taken advantage of it and impressed a lot of people. However, I think it just boils down to how many guys had to get injured for him to get that shot. They're all going to be healthy eventually. I'd like to see Manson kept up but I just don't think our eventual, healthy situation will allow that to happen. If our d-men get back and they suck royally then I'd be all for moving them so Manson could get a permanent spot. Though I'm scared to think how horribly those d-men would have to play to allow Manson to be called up permanently considering the coaching staff was probably assuming Manson would take a full year in Norfolk to develop into an NHL-caliber player.

EDIT: Crap, made this post before seeing that Allen was traded. Still think it holds true though. Haha

Quote from Bob:

The younger defensemen have played well, and it’s a situation unfortunately, when we’re healthy, we have lots of defensemen. Fistric and Lovejoy aren’t that far away.

I think that`s very encouriging for Manson. Although i`d like us to get healthy and Manson developing in the A playing even bigger minutes mostly this year

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Quote from Bob:

I think that`s very encouriging for Manson. Although i`d like us to get healthy and Manson developing in the A playing even bigger minutes mostly this year

Manson will go down just because you want to go into the playoffs having 8 or 9 dmen in your organization with some experience. That said, I think he's full time next year. Loved watching the kid at NE and good to see him doing well for you guys.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I've been stunned by Manson's play as well, but I think his last two games have been his worst. He was very bad against Calgary IMO, and he struggled last night as well. He needs more time in the AHL, but he' s a very interesting prospect.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Manson is not going to be kept here to play a desperation forward position on some emergency basis. if he's now the 8th D man he will go back to the A and play regularly until he is needed again to play D here.

I think that's exactly what he's saying. He is an ideal 8th defenseman, in the sense that you should only have 7 on your roster. Let him play big minutes and develop with Norfolk, and if disaster strikes again, he'll be ready.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
And the coaching staff.

Huh? Lovejoy has been hurt since Manson's emergence. You have no ****ing clue what the coaching staff thinks about the Manson vs. Lovejoy debate at this point. They probably still value Lovejoy more but your arrogance is unbelievable when it comes to stuff like this.

It's not like this kid has been stashed away in the AHL for 2-3 years and the GM/coach have refused to give him a chance. He's been in college, and got his feet wet towards the end of last year at the AHL level. Manson has been put in a top 4 role in the absence of Lovejoy, and the possession numbers he's posted are extremely impressive (i'm sure I'll hear blah blah blah he looks like a rookie in response). Again, good chance he goes down once Lovejoy is healthy but it's a long season and I don't think he's as far off of overtaking Lovejoy as you think

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad