Player Discussion Josh Manson

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
I was very impressed by his first game. He looked strong battling in the corners, made a few very quick and crisp passes and I thought his skating was above average.

For whatever reason, I had him pinned as a physical defensive defensemen, although reading his talent analysis it seems I was way off. I was going to say that I don't recall the last time ANA successfully developed such a player (physical RHD).

Unfortunate his goal was called off, but it was the correct call.

Last edited:

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Hi guys, not a Ducks fan per se, but I am a Manson fan.

I thought he played a good game, and I thought it was interesting that Boudreau gave him some PK time. Overall I thought he did pretty well. He seemed to know what to do on opponent rushes and when the Stars had a cycle going. A couple of times I think he was a little too eager to jump into the play offensively or just go in a little deeper than he should, but I think he'll learn.

Loved the hit when he hit 2 Stars at once.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
He looked pretty solid. Knew he was a pretty physical guy, but was pretty surprised just how physical he was in his first game. Loved the battle he showed, was a bit too deep at times and remember him being schooled by Cole once by overcompensating but I'm sure once he gets more experience against NHL'ers that he'll get over that.

Definitely has potential to be a solid NHL'er however.

TesseracT

Go Ducks! Go Huskies!
May 29, 2011
Knoxville, TN
After the first period he really seemed to settle down. Glad he was able to show the coaches he can be physical at the NHL level. It would be great if we could pepper him into a couple more games throughout the season. Netting that free puck must've felt good even if it was (correctly) disallowed. Overall a pretty decent game considering it was his first.

DaDucks*

Very surprised at his mobility. He also appears to have a good defensive IQ.

I would like to see him get more comfortable having the puck on his stick, he moves it too quickly/frantically.

Last edited by a moderator:

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Did anyone happen to isolate a few clips of Manson's debut? I was unable to watch the game but would love to see how he looked. Manson is a very intriguing prospect because the player he projects to become would be such a perfect compliment to our up and coming blueline.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

I would like to see him get more comfortable having the puck on his stick, he moves it too quickly/frantically.

Funny, that was one of the things I liked best about his game. Got the puck and made a quick accurate pass out of his zone.. just about every time.

He did get beaten wide by Cole, but Cole has done that to tons of D over the years.

DaDucks*

Funny, that was one of the things I liked best about his game. Got the puck and made a quick accurate pass out of his zone.. just about every time.

He did get beaten wide by Cole, but Cole has done that to tons of D over the years.

nothing funny about him nervously sending the puck to 400 section in his own zone for a delay of game. He didn't really survey different passing options, he got the puck and passed it to the first duck he saw right away. I agree most of his passes were good! But some were forced, it's really not a recipe for success, and I'm sure he will only get better the more he plays

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU

I was VERY impressed by his mobility. I watched 5-10 games of him playing in college, and still was very impressed.

Cole has been playing great this season, and as you mentioned there has been plenty of times in his career where his speed has surprised the defenseman. He's a very rare combination of speed and power when he decides to use it.

nothing funny about him nervously sending the puck to 400 section in his own zone for a delay of game. He didn't really survey different passing options, he got the puck and passed it to the first duck he saw right away. I agree most of his passes were good! But some were forced, it's really not a recipe for success, and I'm sure he will only get better the more he plays

First game, and let's be reality, he's never going to be a great PMD. I agree with your assessment.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
I don't think he's ready yet. I understand that the reason why he's here had nothing to do with needing an audition, but I definitely felt he was benefiting from what appeared to be Stoner's best performance to date.

With that said, I do like what's there, and I do think that he has a future in this league.

Ducks Ahoy

Effort = overrated
Jun 9, 2013
Orange County
He definitely has a future. Seemed to have the yips a bit but that was expected. Thought he calmed down a bit after the first as stated above. Loved the physicality!

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Best part was when golagoski tried to hit him, and he just put his shoulder down.

Italian President

Aug 13, 2012
He looked alright for a guy playing his first NHL game. Wouldn't want to keep him around once we get guys back from injury though.

TesseracT

Go Ducks! Go Huskies!
May 29, 2011
Knoxville, TN
He was definitely a lot more confident out there last night. He pairs up nicely with Stoner - neither one gives up much space. He's showing the staff just how quick he really learns. I thought last night was a pretty big step forward for him.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Yeah Manson played very well last night. Don't know if he'd ever be more then a bottom pairing defenseman, but considering his draft position, there's nothing wrong with that.

His performance is why I questioned the Fistric signing when it happened. The signing wasn't horrible and isn't horrible by any means, but generally you can rookies like Manson (not saying I want Manson full time as our 7th D) or cheaper options to fill your 7th defenseman spot. Not a big deal though. Happy to see Manson getting better. Nothing wrong with more depth.

Last edited:

camshaft

Mar 4, 2013
I have been quite pleased with Manson's play so far. If his play continues to develop, I think he can be the type of top four d-man we have been looking for. He is defensive defenseman who can both skate and be physical. He has also shown that he quickly moves the puck to team mates. He seems to be perfect complement to other three young stud d-men. We may not need to trade for another top d-man after all.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
Yeah Manson played very well last night. Don't know if he'd ever be more then a bottom pairing defenseman, but considering his draft position, there's nothing wrong with that.

His performance is why I questioned the Fistric signing when it happened. The signing wasn't horrible and isn't horrible by any means, but generally you can rookies like Manson or cheaper options to fill your 7th defenseman spot. Not a big deal though. Happy to see Manson getting better. Nothing wrong with more depth.

Manson isn't an option to be a 7th d-man until he graduates from the A. Fistric is the perfect spare d-man because it doesn't matter if he doesn't play for a number of games at a time. A rookie like Manson needs to be playing. His play has been encouraging but he's still a ways away from being a regular NHLer. If Clark didn't totally turn into a pumpkin he could be that type of player but he's clearly on the bust train.

Italian President

Aug 13, 2012
I have been quite pleased with Manson's play so far. If his play continues to develop, I think he can be the type of top four d-man we have been looking for. He is defensive defenseman who can both skate and be physical. He has also shown that he quickly moves the puck to team mates. He seems to be perfect complement to other three young stud d-men. We may not need to trade for another top d-man after all.

2 games. He's played 2 NHL games.

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->