Player Discussion Josh Manson

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
If we're moving Fistric, I hope the return would be a waiver exempt young Dman who could slide in behind Manson on the depth chart. Looks like Norfolk could use the help, and I'd like to have an alternate option to Allen if multiple injuries hit again.

I dunno, that'd be ideal but it seems like wishful thinking. I would guess Fistric is moved for a throwaway pick or ends up in Norfolk via waivers.

2faded

Jul 3, 2009
Torrance, CA
That tendency to jump in on the play and STAY in on the play has terrified me at times. But I recall it being said (maybe on one of the game broadcasts?) that Yawney has been asking the defense to be more aggressive and jump in as the fourth attacker more. It's no surprise seeing how often we get burned and give up odd-man rushes the other way. I'm not sure if that message would be for certain guys, particularly Manson, but just making a small point that he could be doing what is asked to some degree.

Lindholm has been jumping into the play alot more also.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I'm more surprised at how quickly he's come along. He always had a lot of raw potential but even in Norfolk late last season it looked like he was a couple of years away from putting it together.

Very early but style wise (no necessarily ability wise) he kind of reminds me of a Seabrook type. I'm curious to see him in some offensive situations to see how good his offensive hockey sense, shot and creativity is. I guess he'll have plenty of opportunity when he goes back to Norfolk to get PP time.

Didn't he start life as a forward and only in the last couple of years was moved to defense? He may have some offensive instinct already in him.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Didn't he start life as a forward and only in the last couple of years was moved to defense? He may have some offensive instinct already in him.

Yeah iirc he only made the switch his first year of college or the year before. I don't remember which.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
I'm more surprised at how quickly he's come along. He always had a lot of raw potential but even in Norfolk late last season it looked like he was a couple of years away from putting it together.

Very early but style wise (no necessarily ability wise) he kind of reminds me of a Seabrook type. I'm curious to see him in some offensive situations to see how good his offensive hockey sense, shot and creativity is. I guess he'll have plenty of opportunity when he goes back to Norfolk to get PP time.

I've thought the same thing style wise, although Manson is less physical and a better skater IMO. I watched him play a handful of times in college and never noticed his confidence with the puck or skating. I mostly noticed that he was nasty and we've yet to really see the nastiness. Goes to show how great of a scout I am. :laugh:

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I dunno, that'd be ideal but it seems like wishful thinking. I would guess Fistric is moved for a throwaway pick or ends up in Norfolk via waivers.

I'm not envisioning Fistric fetching us anyone with a big ceiling, just a waiver immune guy with the upside to become a decent bottom pairing or #7. I don't see why he wouldn't get a bit of interest, he's pretty steady and affordable for someone looking to solidify their back end.

TesseracT

Go Ducks! Go Huskies!
May 29, 2011
Knoxville, TN
I've thought the same thing style wise, although Manson is less physical and a better skater IMO. I watched him play a handful of times in college and never noticed his confidence with the puck or skating. I mostly noticed that he was nasty and we've yet to really see the nastiness. Goes to show how great of a scout I am. :laugh:

FWIW, I don't remember Manson being all that physical his Freshman year and halfway thru his Sophomore year. He only became physical when he was comfortable with his new position as a defenseman. One of his best attributes imo is his patience in his growth. What I've witnessed throughout his years is that he puts his duty-at-hand first and foremost. What we've seen at the NHL level is him trying to be as solid and reliable as possible (with an occasional jump on a rush). An improperly lined-up hit could cost a d-man majorly. That's why we haven't seen big hits by him yet. But if you notice along the boards though he always tries to rough up whoever he's up against.

He has his father's genes, the physicality will be there for us in due time. :)

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
FWIW, I don't remember Manson being all that physical his Freshman year and halfway thru his Sophomore year. He only became physical when he was comfortable with his new position as a defenseman. One of his best attributes imo is his patience in his growth. What I've witnessed throughout his years is that he puts his duty-at-hand first and foremost. What we've seen at the NHL level is him trying to be as solid and reliable as possible (with an occasional jump on a rush). An improperly lined-up hit could cost a d-man majorly. That's why we haven't seen big hits by him yet. But if you notice along the boards though he always tries to rough up whoever he's up against.

He has his father's genes, the physicality will be there for us in due time. :)

Well I primarily saw him in his junior season, which is where my perception comes from. I appreciate you clearing this up for us and your added insight is great.

TesseracT

Go Ducks! Go Huskies!
May 29, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Well I primarily saw him in his junior season, which is where my perception comes from. I appreciate you clearing this up for us and your added insight is great.

The step he took from Sophomore to Junior was immense. I still remember myself being perplexed as to why he got the C for his Junior year. Then a few games in I was like, "Ok, that's why." I don't see Manson's work ethic ever being called into play. He's played very well since he's been called up and hopefully there is a lot more to come.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Manson was pretty physical in his sophomore season. It was the one standout feature to his game from what I saw that year.

TesseracT

Go Ducks! Go Huskies!
May 29, 2011
Knoxville, TN
He was physical, yes. But he really stepped that up about halfway through the season. My favorite hit of his is actually from that season. :nod:

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Yeah, I remember that game. That was the first notable thing that I remember seeing out of him. Prior to that point, he seemed like he might top out as a low end AHL guy. He may have the craziest development that I've ever seen of a prospect. Even last season in Norfolk, he just looked like a guy that might be a promising third pairing defenseman some day. I really can't think of a prospect that has had made this many drastic swings in their development.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Yeah, I remember that game. That was the first notable thing that I remember seeing out of him. Prior to that point, he seemed like he might top out as a low end AHL guy. He may have the craziest development that I've ever seen of a prospect. Even last season in Norfolk, he just looked like a guy that might be a promising third pairing defenseman some day. I really can't think of a prospect that has had made this many drastic swings in their development.

Dustin Penner might be the closest I can think of. Even his development curve wasn't that extreme though. Not to mention he was a late bloomer UFA signing.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I'll be very interested to see how management handles things when everyone gets healthy. If Manson can sustain this level of play for the entirety of Lovejoy's injury then I don't know how he can be demoted. That's a tall order though.

Ando

Keyboard Warrior
Oct 18, 2014
Central Coast, CA
I'll be very interested to see how management handles things when everyone gets healthy. If Manson can sustain this level of play for the entirety of Lovejoy's injury then I don't know how he can be demoted. That's a tall order though.

I'm pretty sure Manson himself knows this, and those in the NHL must know that when you are out even with an injury there is always some young-gun who will fight for your spot. I doubt Manson wants to get demoted so he is proving himself, and succeeding at it so far IMO. The young replace the old.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust

He's been good but he'd really have to step his game up to force Murray to make a move to keep him here. His game is still so raw that I think Murray will have no problem sending him back. Keeping him would mean keeping him in the lineup and thus scratching Lovejoy and trading one of Allen or Fistric. I really don't see that happening.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
He's been good but he'd really have to step his game up to force Murray to make a move to keep him here. His game is still so raw that I think Murray will have no problem sending him back. Keeping him would mean keeping him in the lineup and thus scratching Lovejoy and trading one of Allen or Fistric. I really don't see that happening.

pretty much this.

i still think allen needs to be traded or just dumped. for future considerations if need be.

fowler-lovejoy
lindholm-beauch
stoner-vats
fisty

manson

8 defenseman should honestly be enough but i guess our injuries have been ridiculous this year.

2faded

Jul 3, 2009
Torrance, CA

Can you elaborate on how he needs to step his game up? He was on the top pairing with Lindholm last game and he's looked pretty good to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad