Player Discussion Josh Manson

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I really like this kid now. Big surprise for me among our prospects. I don't mind him going back to Norfolk when beauchemin comes back with this new experience. He'll be a top defenseman there playing like this. He'll come back when it's time a very useful player I think. I never thought Manson would even LOOK like the player I thought guys like Mitera, mikkelson, and salcido would be. Seemed like odd pick to me at the time. I'll never doubt our scouting staff again.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
Man this kid was equal parts amazing and terrifying last night. He made so many dangerous passes but he also did so many things well. I'm really starting to come around on him. After a year or so of the minors this kid might be something good. Credit everyone who've been pumping this kids tires.

Ando

Keyboard Warrior
Oct 18, 2014
Central Coast, CA
Man this kid was equal parts amazing and terrifying last night. He made so many dangerous passes but he also did so many things well. I'm really starting to come around on him. After a year or so of the minors this kid might be something good. Credit everyone who've been pumping this kids tires.

You think anyone else around the League is noticing his potential?

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
I'm willing to bet that just like with Bonino...no. No one is noticing.

I remember Bonino getting praise from Babcock prior to his breakout season. Might have been the last playoff series against Detroit IIRC. I'm sure others noticed him as well. HFBoards though...not so much.

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
It's funny how injuries can give a guy like Manson a chance to increase his value. We now have another valuable piece to use if we want to try and pry a top D man from a seller.

camshaft

Mar 4, 2013
It's funny how injuries can give a guy like Manson a chance to increase his value. We now have another valuable piece to use if we want to try and pry a top D man from a seller.

Why would we trade Manson, when he is the exact type of d-man we have been looking for? The Kings took gamble in using young d-men in playoffs, and it hasn't hurt them. Besides, we are looking to win mutliple cups and not just one Cup. Manson is a foundational piece of our defense, since we are loaded with young 2 way d-men who aren't overly physical.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Why would we trade Manson, when he is the exact type of d-man we have been looking for? The Kings took gamble in using young d-men in playoffs, and it hasn't hurt them. Besides, we are looking to win mutliple cups and not just one Cup. Manson is a foundational piece of our defense, since we are loaded with young 2 way d-men who aren't overly physical.

I like Manson, but wow. It's been 5 games. We're a couple years from being able to say he's a foundational piece of anything.

Other defenseman have showed up and played well and turned into nothing, people may want to slow their rolls. Dan Trebil? Kent Huskins? Jason York? Vishnevski?

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust

Pump the brakes there my friend. Josh Manson is not the answer to our question on defense. In a few years maybe but he's way too raw right now to rely on him in the playoffs. I don't think Murray is eager to include him in any potential trade for a veteran d-man but he certainly won't exclude him if it's for the right player. I think he holds onto this kid but he's hardly untouchable.

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
That's my point exactly. Yes he does look to be a potential piece to our core. But, if a guy becomes available that is a definite piece ready to deliver immediately and for a few more seasons, you have to do it.

camshaft

Mar 4, 2013
Pump the brakes there my friend. Josh Manson is not the answer to our question on defense. In a few years maybe but he's way too raw right now to rely on him in the playoffs. I don't think Murray is eager to include him in any potential trade for a veteran d-man but he certainly won't exclude him if it's for the right player. I think he holds onto this kid but he's hardly untouchable.

I agree that Manson is not untouchable, but the cheapest and most efficient way of obtaining a physical RH shooting dman who is mobile is to develop one out of your own farm system. Now we have to determine how to best develop him. Rushing our previous dmen (Fowler and Lindholm) has certainly harmed their development and Manson is three or four years older than Lindholm and Fowler in their first year up. Our goal this year is to win the Cup and not to finish first in the regular season. In fact, BM says that the only significance of the regular season is to qualify for the playoffs, no matter what position you qualify for. So we can use regular season to determin whether Manson can help us win the Cup. My inclination is in giving young players a chance to prove themselves. If their play proves that they are not ready, then send them down to minors.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
I agree that Manson is not untouchable, but the cheapest and most efficient way of obtaining a physical RH shooting dman who is mobile is to develop one out of your own farm system. Now we have to determine how to best develop him. Rushing our previous dmen (Fowler and Lindholm) has certainly harmed their development and Manson is three or four years older than Lindholm and Fowler in their first year up. Our goal this year is to win the Cup and not to finish first in the regular season. In fact, BM says that the only significance of the regular season is to qualify for the playoffs, no matter what position you qualify for. So we can use regular season to determin whether Manson can help us win the Cup. My inclination is in giving young players a chance to prove themselves. If their play proves that they are not ready, then send them down to minors.

That's all fine and good but he's not that player yet. Not even close. If Murray wants to add a d-man for the playoffs it won't be Manson.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I like Manson, but wow. It's been 5 games. We're a couple years from being able to say he's a foundational piece of anything.

Other defenseman have showed up and played well and turned into nothing, people may want to slow their rolls. Dan Trebil? Kent Huskins? Jason York? Vishnevski?

Vishnevski is a great example. He was meant to be the next Scott Stevens (or so the hfboards equivalent would have had you believe at the time). The first 30 or so games he played were probably the best 30 games he ever played before he settled into his regular role of being a #6 defenseman.

Hell even Brett Festerling looked decent when he was first called up. Being paired with Niedermayer probably had more to do with that than anything though.

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
One thing I am impressed with is his willingness to make passes in dangerous areas, as apposed to making the safe chip up the boards when the pressure is on. That shot in the slot last night was a bomb, and well placed as well, although it was put on a tee for him. I'm curious to see what kind of one timer he has and if he can walk the line and shoot it as well.

2faded

Jul 3, 2009
Torrance, CA
I mentioned it in the GDT. Early in the game when he joined the rush then bombed it from the slot I was like "WOW, that dude can skate, and hammer it." Pretty impressive him joining the rush like that after only playing a handful of games.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

Yeah no, I really want to see how high he can elevate his game. I'd rather not move him.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Vishnevski is a great example. He was meant to be the next Scott Stevens (or so the hfboards equivalent would have had you believe at the time). The first 30 or so games he played were probably the best 30 games he ever played before he settled into his regular role of being a #6 defenseman.

Hell even Brett Festerling looked decent when he was first called up. Being paired with Niedermayer probably had more to do with that than anything though.
I personally never thought Festerling was that good. Honestly it's more like I thought he'd suck and he wasn't terrible.

Oct 18, 2011
i would wager the ducks value him more highly, than what his worth is in a trade. i don't see him going anywhere unless another team values him equally

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU

Say what? Elaborate please on how it harmed their development.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

Dude are you serious?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad