Player Discussion Josh Manson

camshaft

Mar 4, 2013
i thought clark was mediocre. had his good and bad moments. the awful one was when he completely went full sbisa lol

manson has looked very good imo..

its weird but i actually wouldn't mind seeing

fowler-manson
beauch-lindholm
stoner-vats or lovejoy-vats

Maybe its just me. Not for a prolonged tim eor anything. but i just want to see it for a game or 2

I agree that this defensive pairings could be the lineup we want for the playoffs. Manson is progressing rather rapidly, which can happen since he is a little bit older (23 years old) and he grew up with NHL pedigree. One thing he does better than Lovejoy is he is more physical and passes better. His mobility has suprised me, where he has shown that he can be a little bit more than just a defensive d-man. If we give Manson the regular season to gain experience, he can be an asset in playoffs.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
Manson has been a pleasant surprise, and obviously he needs to continue developing at the AHL level before we talk full-time NHL, but I have to think that him being no more or less serviceable than Fistric has been, and being on a two-way deal might allow us to go from 8 to 7 roster defensemen once everyone is healthy. If Murray is intent on keeping Allen (and who could blame him at this point), then it might be nice to cut Fister loose knowing we have a viable call up when the injury bug hits. I'm also not encouraged by Fistric's back injury, though I tend to assume the worst with injuries.

Not so much a money issue as a roster capacity issue. I'd much rather float 14 forwards given the struggling offense (down the road of course, once we are whole), that ability to rotate guys in and out and keep the internal competition among the depth forwards is sorely lacking this season.

I may be suffering from shiny new toy syndrome, feel free to tell me I am being a Bone.r :laugh:

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
I may be suffering from shiny new toy syndrome, feel free to tell me I am being a Bone.r :laugh:
I don't think it's that. He's been genuinely impressive. I wouldn't make any trades on his behalf, just yet, but he has been good. I think that down the road he could be the guy that inherits Beauchemin's spot when he hangs it up.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Manson has been a pleasant surprise, and obviously he needs to continue developing at the AHL level before we talk full-time NHL, but I have to think that him being no more or less serviceable than Fistric has been, and being on a two-way deal might allow us to go from 8 to 7 roster defensemen once everyone is healthy. If Murray is intent on keeping Allen (and who could blame him at this point), then it might be nice to cut Fister loose knowing we have a viable call up when the injury bug hits. I'm also not encouraged by Fistric's back injury, though I tend to assume the worst with injuries.

Not so much a money issue as a roster capacity issue. I'd much rather float 14 forwards given the struggling offense (down the road of course, once we are whole), that ability to rotate guys in and out and keep the internal competition among the depth forwards is sorely lacking this season.

I think it'll be a while and quite a few solid games before Manson makes anyone expendable. Even if he plays the rest of his minutes the way he did last night, I don't think it could happen this season, because I don't think he's on anyone's radar as someone for whom room might need to be made.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
I think it'll be a while and quite a few solid games before Manson makes anyone expendable. Even if he plays the rest of his minutes the way he did last night, I don't think it could happen this season, because I don't think he's on anyone's radar as someone for whom room might need to be made.
Yeah, with the way that Beauch, Allen, and Stoner are playing right now, there's just not any reason to force the issue.

TesseracT

Go Ducks! Go Huskies!
May 29, 2011
Knoxville, TN
I don't think it's that. He's been genuinely impressive. I wouldn't make any trades on his behalf, just yet, but he has been good. I think that down the road he could be the guy that inherits Beauchemin's spot when he hangs it up.

That was my initial assessment a while ago...around when he got signed. I see him turning into a young Beauchemin.

TesseracT

Go Ducks! Go Huskies!
May 29, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Stoner > Allen > Manson
Although Manson is showing he has incredible upside

Allen has looked decent in his games imo. At the moment I'd rank it:

Stoner = Allen > Manson

I'd like to see Manson in the LA game. He's the type of player that loves a heated rivalry. I think it would tell us even more about him. LA is as physical as they are talented - both aspects we'd like to see Manson thrive in.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Allen has looked decent in his games imo. At the moment I'd rank it:

Stoner = Allen > Manson

I'd like to see Manson in the LA game. He's the type of player that loves a heated rivalry. I think it would tell us even more about him. LA is as physical as they are talented - both aspects we'd like to see Manson thrive in.

You're going to see him in the LA game. Until Beauchemin is back with the team Manson will be in the lineup every night.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
Stoner > Allen > Manson
Although Manson is showing he has incredible upside

Count me in as well, I agree with this. But I'd add:

Stoner > Allen > Manson > Fistric

The difference between Allen and Stoner isn't significant IMO. Allen is better positionally and Stoner has better tools. Stoner can be out of position and recover, where I don't feel Allen can, he just plods. I think our blueline is noticeably better with a guy like Stoner (and Manson eventually) who can move his feet and create a little room to make a pass, as opposed to Allen who uses the boards to clear the zone or corrals the puck in his feet until he gets support. This just adds extra pressure on his partner and the forwards, and can hinder smooth, quick zone exits. So basically, I don't think Allen is worse than Stoner per se, it's that Stoner's style fits this team better. The same goes for Manson, but Allen's experience gives him a leg up, he may not do everything well, but what he does do well he does fairly consistently, which you just won't get with a kid like Manson just yet.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I think Allen has been fine, but I think Stoner has been clearly better. Stoner has been exposed a little bit by being pushed into a top 4 role, but for the bottom pair with Vatanen, I think Stoner is better. Allen is better on the PK though. The way we've been using our defensive pairs on the PK, that's not as big of a deal as it was in the past.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Am I the only one who can't stand Stoner's skating? The guy stumbles and/or falls down more for absolutely no reason than any defenseman I've ever seen. He may be faster than Allen but he has crap for balance.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Am I the only one who can't stand Stoner's skating? The guy stumbles and/or falls down more for absolutely no reason than any defenseman I've ever seen. He may be faster than Allen but he has crap for balance.

I noticed it a lot more when he moved to the right side. The first game or two with Cam, he really seemed to fall down more often.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014

Heh, Stoner does seem a little spastic. Though Allen likes to fall after every hit he lays, if you watch for it, it almost makes for a good drinking game. :laugh:

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
He has reason. It's when he tries to turn.

Kind of like the difference in skating between Fowler and Hall. I remember during their draft year there was a video about the skating. Hall was impressively fast to accelerate from a stop. But Fowler was so good at maintaining speed through his pivots and turns.

perrygetzanother

Jun 14, 2014
somewhere nice

everybody (sans heater) looks fine after watching bobby ryan constantly fall on his ass for no reason.

i wonder when we'll get to see something like this

Oct 18, 2011
He looks good now, imagine how much better he will be with more seasoning in the AHL. He seems to get better every game, and it will just continue to slow down for him, really impressed so far with his instincts. he's the anti-sbisa

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
stoner has definitely looked better than allen imo. hes physical without the dumb penalties and he's definitely more mobile.

i'm definitely in the group for manson over allen when beauch gets back lol

I'd actually like to see

fowler-stoner
lindholm-manson
beauch-vatanen

those pairings aren't indicative of icetime or anything

fowler/stoner haven't looked bad. lindholm/manson looked great tonight.

I think beauch/vats would also work pretty well as well

when the reverend is back we can go back to our regular pairings and let manson get #1 time down in the A

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad