Player Discussion Josh Manson

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Manson isn't an option to be a 7th d-man until he graduates from the A. Fistric is the perfect spare d-man because it doesn't matter if he doesn't play for a number of games at a time. A rookie like Manson needs to be playing. His play has been encouraging but he's still a ways away from being a regular NHLer. If Clark didn't totally turn into a pumpkin he could be that type of player but he's clearly on the bust train.

Yeah I agree, Manson needs to be playing not sitting in the press box. Particularly since it's his first pro year, he's better off in the AHL than rotating in the NHL every 5th or 6th game which is what he would be doing if everyone was healthy.

He does look good out there though. It seems like he's developing a lot faster than expected.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Manson isn't an option to be a 7th d-man until he graduates from the A. Fistric is the perfect spare d-man because it doesn't matter if he doesn't play for a number of games at a time. A rookie like Manson needs to be playing. His play has been encouraging but he's still a ways away from being a regular NHLer. If Clark didn't totally turn into a pumpkin he could be that type of player but he's clearly on the bust train.

Oh I agree. That post was badly worded on my part. I wasn't insinuating that Manson should be our 7th defenseman. Just that an AHL player, or cheaper option can probably be had. Clark is a perfect example. It's not a big deal though. Not like Fistric's contract is going to keep us from doing anything.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
Oh I agree. That post was badly worded on my part. I wasn't insinuating that Manson should be our 7th defenseman. Just that an AHL player, or cheaper option can probably be had. Clark is a perfect example. It's not a big deal though. Not like Fistric's contract is going to keep us from doing anything.

Yeah but a cheaper option would only save us like 300-400K and you really get what you pay for with that. You're right, it isn't really a big deal but I feel much better having Fistric step in when need be then someone like Clark.

quackquackquack

Oct 10, 2012
Clark sucks...Prospects like him bug the crap out of me. Year after year of fans saying that they are ready but no signs of life from the player. Keep him down.

Manson on the other hand was awesome last night. Poised and alert. He was surprisingly quick on his feet for a big man. Think he can be a contributor in the future.

ekm01

Sep 24, 2014
With each game i see this kid play, i like him more and more. Physical and moves the puck out of the D zone quickly. He has a good stick in the corners too. I saw him a bit in preseason and he didnt make too big of an impression on me, but through these last couple of games, hes looked real solid.

snowave

Jan 7, 2012
Idaho
I agree with the consensus... I like what Manson is bringing to the Ducks. Still young and a little rusty, but improving each game. It's good to see one of our defenseman with some actual meat on them. That's my only complaint about Fowler and Vats. Great passing and hockey smarts, but my grandma is bigger than those two put together.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
He's kind of come out of nowhere too. I mean last year he was doing well and that led to some hopes, but I don't think there were any expectations whatsoever the first couple of years.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I agree with the consensus... I like what Manson is bringing to the Ducks. Still young and a little rusty, but improving each game. It's good to see one of our defenseman with some actual meat on them. That's my only complaint about Fowler and Vats. Great passing and hockey smarts, but my grandma is bigger than those two put together.

Fowler is 6'1 210, Manson is 6'3 217. Not much difference in weight...

duxfan8

Sep 13, 2011
South Bay
I think Clark was mentioned because he kind of sucks. It wouldn't be bad to have him sitting in the press box and step in for one game a month. I do think Clark is a bust at this point, but I think we just had too many dmen better than him when he wasn't shining in the AHL. He hasn't ever gotten a long look. I think he can play in the NHL, but he has work to do. We probably won't baby him much longer, even though he'll be a RFA at the end of the season.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
I think Clark was mentioned because he kind of sucks. It wouldn't be bad to have him sitting in the press box and step in for one game a month. I do think Clark is a bust at this point, but I think we just had too many dmen better than him when he wasn't shining in the AHL. He hasn't ever gotten a long look. I think he can play in the NHL, but he has work to do. We probably won't baby him much longer, even though he'll be a RFA at the end of the season.
He looked fine last night. For his first NHL game in years, he had a decent game. With that said, I doubt he'll leapfrog Manson.

You don't bring in someone to be your number seven because they're 'terrible'.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
He looked fine last night. For his first NHL game in years, he had a decent game. With that said, I doubt he'll leapfrog Manson.

You don't bring in someone to be your number seven because they're 'terrible'.

Clark was not fine. He looked so nervous every time he had the puck and never made good decisions with it. Manson had his best game though his penalties helped shift the momentum over to the Canucks. I hope that was the last game Mat Clark ever plays as a Duck.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Clark was not fine. He looked so nervous every time he had the puck and never made good decisions with it. Manson had his best game though his penalties helped shift the momentum over to the Canucks. I hope that was the last game Mat Clark ever plays as a Duck.
I disagree. I think you're suffering a bit of confirmation bias. I can think of one instance where that was true. I can think of many other instances where he made the right play.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
I disagree. I think you're suffering a bit of confirmation bias. I can think of one instance where that was true. I can think of many other instances where he made the right play.

i thought clark was mediocre. had his good and bad moments. the awful one was when he completely went full sbisa lol

manson has looked very good imo..

its weird but i actually wouldn't mind seeing

fowler-manson
beauch-lindholm
stoner-vats or lovejoy-vats

Maybe its just me. Not for a prolonged tim eor anything. but i just want to see it for a game or 2

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
i thought clark was mediocre. had his good and bad moments. the awful one was when he completely went full sbisa lol
It was his first game in nearly two years. Do you remember what Manson looked like in his first game? It wasn't much better. It's a rarity that you are just going to watch a developing player and that it's just going to be obvious in their first few games what that player is. Now, I'm not saying that I think Clark has a bright future, but for a first game of the year at his experience level, that was not bad in the slightest.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust

I wanted that kid to have a good game and he just didn't. There were several times he fumbled the puck and he wasn't particularly effective moving the puck up the ice, closing the gap through the neutral zone or getting shots through. But the worst were the 50-50 battles in the corners. I can't remember him winning more than one or two of them. I watched him very closely because I wanted to be wrong about him.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
I wanted that kid to have a good game and he just didn't. There were several times he fumbled the puck and he wasn't particularly effective moving the puck up the ice, closing the gap through the neutral zone or getting shots through. But the worst were the 50-50 battles in the corners. I can't remember him winning more than one or two of them. I watched him very closely because I wanted to be wrong about him.
Getting shots through? Why would you be looking for that? That has never been a part of his game. I would think that would have been obvious from the time you spent reaching those conclusions that you wanted to be wrong about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad