Jonathan Toews

Status
Not open for further replies.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
We’ve seen both Eric Staal and Kopitar come back from the dead and put up ridiculous numbers. We have examples showing us it’s possible.

This team doesn’t need Toews to replicate Kopitar’s monster year to be competitive (we’d obviously all love if he did though), but it does need him to at least be 16-17 Eric Staal. 28 goals, 37 assists, 65 points.

I don’t know what the formula is to make it happen for these big two-way centers. Kopitar dragged Dustin Brown back to relevance, and Brown put up a career year after struggling to average 30 points for the last 5 years. Kopitar also did a lot of work in his defensive zone. I’d say that gives you an argument for Saad-Toews-winger (Iafallo equivalent).

It looks like Staal was used in a similar way, but with better wingers and less overall ice-time.

Bergeron, on the other hand, plays with his team’s two best scoring wingers, and didn’t do a lot of defensive zone work in comparison to Kopitar. I guess that could be your argument for DeBrincat-Toews-Kane.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
DBC-Toews-Saad

It's the closest thing to the Sharp-Toews-Saad line and it's IMHO the best combo of shutdown/possession and rejuvenating Toews offensively.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Cat - Toews - Saad
Wahlstrom - Schmaltz - Kane
Sikura - Anisimov - Hinostroza
Kahun - Kämpf - Hayden

You see what I did here?

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
DBC-Toews-Saad

It's the closest thing to the Sharp-Toews-Saad line and it's IMHO the best combo of shutdown/possession and rejuvenating Toews offensively.

i don’t mind that at all. All those guys shot the puck ~200 times this season, that’d make it a very heavy shooting line.

Going back, it looks like Kane did best when he had a ~200 shot guy on his line, and someone who stands in front of the net. Right now, Schmaltz does neither of those. Either Schmaltz needs to shoot a lot more, or a sniper needs to be added to Kane’s line.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
We’ve seen both Eric Staal and Kopitar come back from the dead and put up ridiculous numbers. We have examples showing us it’s possible.

This team doesn’t need Toews to replicate Kopitar’s monster year to be competitive (we’d obviously all love if he did though), but it does need him to at least be 16-17 Eric Staal. 28 goals, 37 assists, 65 points.

I don’t know what the formula is to make it happen for these big two-way centers. Kopitar dragged Dustin Brown back to relevance, and Brown put up a career year after struggling to average 30 points for the last 5 years. Kopitar also did a lot of work in his defensive zone. I’d say that gives you an argument for Saad-Toews-winger (Iafallo equivalent).

It looks like Staal was used in a similar way, but with better wingers and less overall ice-time.

Bergeron, on the other hand, plays with his team’s two best scoring wingers, and didn’t do a lot of defensive zone work in comparison to Kopitar. I guess that could be your argument for DeBrincat-Toews-Kane.
one of the main things with Kopitar and Brown was that Sutter was let go. the team played a more up tempo game, and both Brown and Kopitar were allowed to think offense first for a change without sacrificing their defensive play. sometimes a change of coaching rejuvenates a player like it did with these two...as for Staal, the guy just looked like he was having fun out there again, simple as that.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
one of the main things with Kopitar and Brown was that Sutter was let go. the team played a more up tempo game, and both Brown and Kopitar were allowed to think offense first for a change without sacrificing their defensive play. sometimes a change of coaching rejuvenates a player like it did with these two...as for Staal, the guy just looked like he was having fun out there again, simple as that.

We’ll add that to the list of reasons the Hawks should consider “promoting” Q.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Cat - Toews - Saad
Wahlstrom - Schmaltz - Kane
Sikura - Anisimov - Hinostroza
Kahun - Kämpf - Hayden

You see what I did here?

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of this top line. Putting Saad on the right side, which I believe he did in Columbus, allows DeBrincat to play off-wing and be available for one-timers.

Schmaltz and Kane then stick together and hopefully rival Malkin’s line for the most dangerous “second line” in the league. Barring getting Wahlstrom, his line still does need a net-front guy, and Schmaltz needs to be closer to 200 shots instead of 100.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
For the post putting Whalstrom right into the 2LW on the Kane line...not gonna happen...

1. A liot of mocks have Arizona taking him at #5 ...but he probably foes not last to #8;anyway...

2.Even IF he lasts to #8 and Stan makes the mistake of taking g him and passing on Kotkaniemi ,no way he is "ready" right away. ..no way he plays out of the gate.

3.Even if we drafted him at #8 and he seems ready offensively,his defense and work effort are certain ly not NHL calibre ...so no way Q will trust him on line 2 with Schatz and Kane both pretty bad in their own zone..you want a combined-75 from this trio?

So instead Stan should draft Kotkaniemi ...future 2C for us not 2C if they "demote" Tires. .bit not ready at his young age ..at least 1 more yr I'm Finland before coming over ..but checks all the boxes on Big Centre nerds...like ..you know...Good at face-off. ..good both ways/200 ft player...already strong but imagine as he ages a bit and fills out more?This is the smarter draft play than the 1 trick pony Whalstrom who is the 2nd best sniper on this draft but otherwise has a lot of areas of concern ..you know..like checking and hustle issues.

NOW ..imagine our Centre depth in 2 ...years...Toews, Ejdsel and Kotkaniemi ....by then Ejdsel should have taken over the 2C job after a full yr of 3C this season ...Anisimov will be gone after this season and traded in summer 2019 ...Kotkaniemi will start in 3C but if Tress does not improve from 50-56 points from these 2 yrs them maybe Toews 3C for 2020/31 season ..WE should grab a top Centre prospect while we can

Reactions: 63 others

Game suspension

Feb 11, 2018
So the Blackhawk convention is the last weekend in July and Kane just verified that he will be there. Here are the hawks who will be there for it :

2018 Blackhawks Convention Attendees

Basically everyone but our three problem children: Toews, Seabrook and Saad.

Doesn't that make you feel warm and fuzzy that 3 of the highest paid guys can't seem to make it. How Toews as captain can get away with missing this thing again I have no idea. But it ain't a good sign.

Give Kane the C and be done with it. Captain Cauliflower has checked out.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
So the Blackhawk convention is the last weekend in July and Kane just verified that he will be there. Here are the hawks who will be there for it :

Doesn't that make you feel warm and fuzzy that 3 of the highest paid guys can't seem to make it. How Toews as captain can get away with missing this thing again I have no idea. But it ain't a good sign.

You realize Saad is getting married this summer right?

Who gives a shit about the convention anyway?

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008

I'd move him for the best possible return. Quickly.

19 thinks he's got a free pass around here and maybe he does. But I don't have to like it.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Boy, that wedding covers a lot bases apparently.

Guys misses a tourney that he has zero responsibility to play in and a convention due to a full summer/wedding and people trash him for it. People need to get a grip (not you personally as we all know you are posting just to prod a bit ;)). I could careless if he played just like I did when Kane didn't after a shitty season as long as they train hard and are healthy when the NHL season starts.

July 20, 2018 is the wedding date so missing the convention makes perfect sense.

Game suspension

Feb 11, 2018
McDonough???? lol...

McDonough does care about this shit a lot. It is where he adds value. Probably means more than winning cuz it is his baby imported from the cubs.

Toews missed the convention last year after getting his big contract. He is choosing to do it again apparently. It does not take a genius to see that the arrogant asshole President wants to choke Toews right now. And I am sure Saad planned his wedding around missing the f***ing convention to avoid it. Kinda obvious. Guess what: Toews and Seabrook want to go.

I don't give a shit about the convention either but no player wants to go to this shit. When you see the captain of the f***ing team getting a pass its time to change the captain. I am sure it is going through McDonough's mind.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
McDonough does care about this **** a lot. It is where he adds value. Probably means more than winning cuz it is his baby imported from the cubs.

Toews missed the convention last year after getting his big contract. He is choosing to do it again apparently. It does not take a genius to see that the arrogant ******* President wants to choke Toews right now. And I am sure Saad planned his wedding around missing the ****ing convention to avoid it. Kinda obvious. Guess what: Toews and Seabrook want to go.

I don't give a **** about the convention either but no player wants to go to this ****. When you see the captain of the ****ing team getting a pass its time to change the captain. I am sure it is going through McDonough's mind.

The bold is a joke right? Using logic, he actually did the team a favor by not having it on the same weekend as the convention cause then a majority of the team would not be at the convention. Might want to take off the tin hat if you are being serious.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Toews pissing off McDonough is the best thing the captain has done in years. The whole team should refuse to attend just to upset John "constantly interfering piece of crap" McDonough.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Toews pissing off McDonough is the best thing the captain has done in years. The whole team should refuse to attend just to upset John "constantly interfering piece of crap" McDonough.

Lets not forget this is Rocky’s deal too. Toews can’t be bothered to come for a team convention on a mid-summer weekend? It’s kind of a joke when you think about it. He’s the face of the franchise, although that is slowly changing to Kane taking the torch.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I’m intrigued to see what Kane can do in a captain role after his WC performance, plus his mentorship role the past few years with Schmaltz, Panarin, DeBrincat, Hino etc. No chance with Toews on team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad