Prospect Info: Jon Gillies

JagrBomber

Oct 8, 2010
Calgary, Canada
Will Ortio be ready next season?

Is it too premature to dump both Hiller and Ramo for the new guys?

Rebuild or no rebuild, going with two goalies who haven't played a full NHL season is foolish. They should keep at least one. Both isn't even a bad idea.

Can't forget that the tenders we have are very young especially for goalies.

If it's a pick one scenario, though, I keep Ramo and give him 60+ games and allow him to be a workhorse with Ortio spending the season with the big club and getting some NHL games in.

No way Gilles gets a sniff of the NHL straight out of college. Extremely foolish development plan. Maybe in a situation where we are a lottery team at the end of the season next year (I don't think we will be) he gets a game or two for his efforts in the A or for his new Contract if he does stay another year.

I say we keep at least one of Ramo/Hiller. Dumping both is dumb if you ask me.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't imagine Gillies would get an NHL job until his 3rd or 4th year at minimum.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Gillies has to go to AHL for starters. The jump from the NCAA to the NHL is pretty big.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
While they are different, I think Hiller and Ramo have similar ceilings as a starter. If you can get a decent return for Hiller and can resign Ramo, I think you have to consider it. That said, I'm more than comfortable with having a Hiller/Ortio tandem next year. Just let this play itself out and weigh your options, were in a good position here.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
At least 1 year for Gillies in the AHL.

Let Jonas and Joni battle it out and see if Joni can become bonefide # 1. Let's Gillies play a few games if theres an injury or both aren't playing well and he is.

Reevaluate after next season.

Perceptor

World Class
Mar 19, 2012
Calgary, AB
I agree. Sorry for the remark about the 1 more year thing. I think I'd misheard Kerr. Anyhow, I agree that Gillies will need time and he's only 20-21 so we shouldn't rush his development at all.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
I agree. Sorry for the remark about the 1 more year thing. I think I'd misheard Kerr. Anyhow, I agree that Gillies will need time and he's only 20-21 so we shouldn't rush his development at all.

Don't worry about it... I agree that we shouldn't rush their development. Next year should give us a lot more answers with our goaltending direction.

Slick Willy*

Career high 49 saves tonight in national championship game.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
Sign him up and Janko please. It was the first real look I've had on both players in action, and both have exceeded my expectations.

Gillies will be a dominant goaltender and Janko especially will be a treat to watch. So smart with the puck, good defensively, and most importantly, the soft hands to go along with his frame is very exciting.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
Surprised he isn't signed at this point. Figured they would have done anything to make him sign immediately following his post game shower.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad