Prospect Info: Jon Gillies

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Can anyone provide some point form notes on Gillies performance for this game? I was only able to watch the first period where he had little to do except for two brilliant point blank stops in a bit of a scramble.
honestly it was more of the same.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
IIHF website has 23 of 24 :)

My bad. I saw 23 saves and thought it said shots. :)

Can anyone provide some point form notes on Gillies performance for this game? I was only able to watch the first period where he had little to do except for two brilliant point blank stops in a bit of a scramble.

Gillies was so calm and composed in net. He challenges shooters out of his crease which makes it next to impossible to score on a 6'5 giant. Although big and great positionally, he is very athletic and has great reflexes! (especially his blocker.) He reminds me of Pekka Rinne.

BergyDGD

Rock Chalk Jayhawk
Jun 25, 2007
City of Champions,MA
Bruins fan here, but also a Providence College hockey season ticket holder. Really nice to see the optimism about Gillies on this board. The kid's got all the tools to excel at the NHL level. It's really cool seeing him go from playing at 3,000 seat Schneider Arena in Providence to the big international stage for this tournament. He has played a huge part in elevating an almost irrelevant Friars hockey program to one of the elite teams in the country (Coach Leaman has also played a key role naturally). It's been a pleasure to watch Gillies play throughout his time at PC and hope he can become an elite goalie one day for you guys. Curious to what you guys hear in Calgary regarding his contract, you think he'll be packing his bags for Abbotsford after this season? As a Friar fan I've already mentally prepared for him leaving after this season so anything beyond this year is a bonus.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
United States vs Slovakia about to start. Will be interesting to see how Slovakia does against better opposition today as they looked fantastic yesterday versus the Germans. Jon Gillies is starting in net.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
Jon Gillies overall had a great game, letting in 3 goals on 30 shots. He made several good saves, particularly as the Americans started failing apart defensively allowing for some odd man rushes. The last goal he gave up, which was the first 5 on 5 he has given up was extremely bad, and perhaps can be chalked up the the Americans being dominate in the end and Gillies literally doing nothing for a good 5-7 minutes. Just a thought that he might have lost his concentration a bit.

I would imagine Gillies will rest versus the Germans, but we should see him back versus the Canadians.

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
Bruins fan here, but also a Providence College hockey season ticket holder. Really nice to see the optimism about Gillies on this board. The kid's got all the tools to excel at the NHL level. It's really cool seeing him go from playing at 3,000 seat Schneider Arena in Providence to the big international stage for this tournament. He has played a huge part in elevating an almost irrelevant Friars hockey program to one of the elite teams in the country (Coach Leaman has also played a key role naturally). It's been a pleasure to watch Gillies play throughout his time at PC and hope he can become an elite goalie one day for you guys. Curious to what you guys hear in Calgary regarding his contract, you think he'll be packing his bags for Abbotsford after this season? As a Friar fan I've already mentally prepared for him leaving after this season so anything beyond this year is a bonus.

Thanks for that BergyDGD. I would hope that Gillies wants to go pro as soon as this his season is finished. Maybe even play a game or two for the Flames.

BTW, do you have anything good/bad/indifferent to say about Jankowski?

BergyDGD

Rock Chalk Jayhawk
Jun 25, 2007
City of Champions,MA
Thanks for that BergyDGD. I would hope that Gillies wants to go pro as soon as this his season is finished. Maybe even play a game or two for the Flames.

BTW, do you have anything good/bad/indifferent to say about Jankowski?

Janko's production has been a bit disappointing (7 goals 4 assists in 18 games). Kind of a project as was predicted when he was drafted but shows flashes of brilliance. Providence's defensive style isn't exactly conducive for him showcasing his offensive ability but he has been a solid two way player. Providence likes to roll 4 lines so the scoring is pretty spread out with the exception of gritty little Ross Mauermann who is listed at a generous 5' 9" but has 12 goals and 13 assists.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
I was at work unfortunately but Jon Gillies records the loss going 21 for 24 with a .875 save percentage. On the other hand Canada won!

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
looked shaky. usa collapsed in on him for a couple of the goals

He didn't have have a chance to make any kind of a reflex save on the McDavid goal; his D-man was literally sitting on his lap lol.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Janko's production has been a bit disappointing (7 goals 4 assists in 18 games). Kind of a project as was predicted when he was drafted but shows flashes of brilliance. Providence's defensive style isn't exactly conducive for him showcasing his offensive ability but he has been a solid two way player. Providence likes to roll 4 lines so the scoring is pretty spread out with the exception of gritty little Ross Mauermann who is listed at a generous 5' 9" but has 12 goals and 13 assists.

Since you have been so good to answer questions on Gillies and now Janko, may I ask if this here sounds pretty accurate? It's just what I have gathered through stats watching and highlights and I posted this when we were debating Jankowski's evolution as a player.

Just to give some people an idea of what Jankowski has to work with I am went through all the box scores for Providence this year and made note of his linemates for every goal that was scored while he was on the ice (for and against), this should give us an idea of who he plays with on a nightly basis since we aren't fortunate enough to see him play.
Jankowki appears to be playing the majority of his time at even strength with a combination of Derek Army (3 goals, 5 assists), Kevin Hart (2 goals, 4 assists) and Conor MacPhee (2 goals, 2 assists), now just so we are clear here, his 3 most common linemates have a combined 7 goals and 11 assists, when Jankowski has 7 goals and 4 assists himself. Jankowski is 3rd on the team in faceoffs with 250 taken, Mauermann who is clearly the teams #1 centre has taken the most and Acciari has taken 261, this leads me to believe the Friars may have no defined #2 and #3 lines and play the Jankowski and Acciari lines fairly evenly.

On the PP he seems to play evenly with 4 different forwards, which leads me to think he splits his time between the 1st and 2nd PP units.

So Jankowski is the teams 2/3 centre, and sees time between the 1st and 2nd PP units. While doing so he has 7 goals (2nd on the team) and 11 points (4th on the team). It seems to me when you look at his numbers in some context rather than just raw numbers they really aren't as bad as they are made out to be.​

BergyDGD

Rock Chalk Jayhawk
Jun 25, 2007
City of Champions,MA
Since you have been so good to answer questions on Gillies and now Janko, may I ask if this here sounds pretty accurate? It's just what I have gathered through stats watching and highlights and I posted this when we were debating Jankowski's evolution as a player.

Ya what you posted is pretty accurate. Although the 2nd line has a bit more stability with Union transfer Trevor Mingoia slotting in at right wing after sitting out the first semester due to transferring bumping Derek Army to the 3rd line. Here are the lines for their last game.
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...depth_chart_event/depth_chart_20131230aaa.pdf

BergyDGD

Rock Chalk Jayhawk
Jun 25, 2007
City of Champions,MA
Brian Burke was in the building last night in Providence for the Friars game vs Northeastern. Gillies while only giving up only 2 goals was far from impressive. He's continuing to fight the puck and give up rebounds like many of you saw in the World Jrs. I thought maybe step up in competition may have rattled him but it's continuing now that he's back at the small and comfy confines of Schneider Arena on the campus of PC. Still PC was clinging to a 1-0 lead when he let a very weak, unscreened wrist shot beat him low glove with 33 seconds left in the game. Should have been a routine glove save, literally might have been the worst goal I've seen Gillies give up in a Friars uniform. Northeastern then scored 12 seconds in to OT when Braden Pimm streaked down the left side cut in and beat Gillies and seal the deal for the Huskies. I've seen Gillies at his best and the kids is good, hoping it's just a rut and he'll get out of it. Janko was also invisible. Burke couldn't have been happy with what he saw from his guys.

Goodlad

Jan 15, 2013
http://www.providencejournal.com/sp...burke-no-decision-on-signing-pc-s-gillies.ece

Burke says they haven't made any commitments to giving Gillies a contract at the end of this season.

"Obviously he's had a terrific first year and a half as a Friar. And there's no reason to think that that won't continue.

"I know there's a lot of speculation that he's going to be asked to turn pro after the season, but we have not in fact made any determination yet as to his status. I met with him (Monday) and told him that. We have not promised him that he's being offered a contract at the end of the year.

"We're going to wait and see how the rest of the year goes. Certainly we're happy with his play. He's a big guy. He stops the puck. He competes. He's technically sound.''

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
Really there's no reason we should rush him. Yeah our goaltending is very, very questionable right now but that's no reason to rush prospects. Let him learn all that he can (and some will argue that his stats show he has) from college before coming to the pros.

You all saw what Columbus and Minnesota did the last decade with their kids.

TylerSVT*

He looked OK in the WJHC, another year in College wouldnt be the worst thing, Hard to put him in Abbotsford next year knowing that we still have Ramo and Berra with the Flames and Ortio playing amazing on the Heat.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
He looked OK in the WJHC, another year in College wouldnt be the worst thing, Hard to put him in Abbotsford next year knowing that we still have Ramo and Berra with the Flames and Ortio playing amazing on the Heat.

That could really change if Berra decides to pursue a contract elsewhere. He is a UFA at the end of the season.

But hey, maybe Burke and Co look at Anaheim and think they might want to pursue a similar model. Burke loves his competition for spots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad