Prospect Info: Jon Gillies

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
How good do you think Gillies is? Potentailly elite, good starter, or fringe starter?

Anywhere between elite starter and euro league goalie.

Still way early. He has the tools but has shown nothing professionally yet.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
How good do you think Gillies is? Potentailly elite, good starter, or fringe starter?

Pekka Rinne would be a good comparison for me as his peak potential. Long legs, Good position, Lightning fast trapper, quicker than most goalies his size.

That said he needs to show he can play at the next level and that he can be consistent just to be a low-level starter in the NHL.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Somewhere in the range of frederik anderson to a bigger corey schnieder is my hopes for his NHL upside.

AustinL*

Gillies is going to be a stud if he works out. His athleticism at his size is amazing. He's so quick too and rarely gets out of position. Love his trapper too! At his top end potential, I see him being an elite goaltender, potentially top-5 in the league.

What's amazing is that if he doesn't work out, we still have McDonald who is showing great potential. Another tall goaltender with a great trapper. The Flames have a few options in net moving down the road. Ortio, IMO, has the least potential of the 3, yet I could see him being the Flames starter this season come December.

How I see it:
Gillies > McDonald > Ortio

marbsarebad

Jul 20, 2013
Olympia, WA
I've heard scouts say he's like a larger Jonathan Quick. He put up better numbers in college than Schneider and Quick at a time when college hockey is the best it's ever been.
I think personally he's our 2nd best prospect after Bennett. If Huska and the goalie coaches at the AHL level can work on his positioning he will be part of the next wave of elite goalies in the NHL. He is already composed and athletic.

waingr0

May 14, 2010
Hi all.

My keeper league is having a Vegas expansion draft. I have to choose between keeping Jon Gillies or Travis Dermott. I expect Dermott to become a top 4 dman down the road. What are your thoughts on Gillies? Does he still have starter potential? My main goalie is Robin Lehner so I am not too well off in that position.

Thanks.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Hi all.

My keeper league is having a Vegas expansion draft. I have to choose between keeping Jon Gillies or Travis Dermott. I expect Dermott to become a top 4 dman down the road. What are your thoughts on Gillies? Does he still have starter potential? My main goalie is Robin Lehner so I am not too well off in that position.

Thanks.

He definitely still has starter potential and could be an NHL backup as soon as next year (2018-19)

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Gillies definitely has starter potential. Him and Parsons could be our biggest hopes in years.

Also that post in 2015 about Mcdonald is funny. I don't think hes any good.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Hi all.

Thanks.

I'd keep Dermott personally, he's the better prospect. But make a trade to sort out your G ;)

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Hi all.

Thanks.

Gillies and Lehner are very similar. Take from that what you will.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad