Prospect Info: Jon Gillies

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
I figured since this will be the first time a lot of us will be getting to watch Jon Gillies play we should have a thread dedicated to watching and discussing the lone Flames prospect in the World Juniors. We know he comes into this tournament with fantastic statistics in college and he has a huge 6'5 frame which make him an ideal goaltender prospect going forward for Calgary.

_R4O7731_small.jpg
USNJT-MINNST-8.jpg
8476903.jpg

Schedule

26 Dec. Czech Republic vs. United States - 11:30am et on TSN
28 Dec. United States vs. Slovakia - 07:30am et on TSN
29 Dec. Germany vs. United States - 09:00am et on TSN
31 Dec. United States vs. Canada - 11:30am et on TSN

02 Jan. United States vs. Russia - 6:00am et on TSN

Statistics

VS | GA | SA | SV | SV% | W/L
Czech Republic|1|24|23|0.958|W|
Slovakia|3|30|27|0.900|W|
Germany|Rested|-|-|-|-|
Canada|3|24|21|0.875|L|
Russia|4|24|20|0.833|L|

| GA | SA | SV | SV% | W/L
Total |11|102|91|0.892|2W,2L|

[nhl]512875[/nhl] [nhl]520859[/nhl]

Last edited:

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
Couple quick points from the pre-tournament game versus Finland where Jon Gillies was the starter.

-Finland scored twice on Jon Gillies.
-Both were power play goals that Gillies had no chance on.
-First was 5 on 4, tipped in front.
-Second was 5 on 3, Gillies made the save, resulting scramble got him out of position.
-Good rebound control.
-Decent puck moving skills when required.
-Finland hit the post twice, including on a penalty shot.
-Final minute or so was frantic, with Gillies frantically making saves any way he could.

Edit: Ended up with 38 saves on 40 shots... source-USA Hockey

Last edited:

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Couple quick points from the pre-tournament game versus Finland where Jon Gillies was the starter.

-Finland scored twice on Jon Gillies.
-Both were power play goals that Gillies had no chance on.
-First was 5 on 4, tipped in front.
-Second was 5 on 3, Gillies made the save, resulting scramble got him out of position.
-Good rebound control.
-Decent puck moving skills when required.
-Finland hit the post twice, including on a penalty shot.
-Final minute or so was frantic, with Gillies frantically making saves any way he could.

Edit: Ended up with 38 saves on 40 shots... source-USA Hockey

Sounds like a great start for him. Hoping to be able to watch a couple games this year.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Rushan is extremely unlikely to cross the pond, so I don't really even consider him a prospect.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Rushan is extremely unlikely to cross the pond, so I don't really even consider him a prospect.

I believe he was highly rated in the European skaters by ISS. I would say he is a real prospect but his he is unlucky to play in the NHL much like Gordon, Deblouw, Holland etc (aka all late picks). If anything the fact that he might not come over means we got a better player and a better prospect with the risk that he won't come over.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I believe he was highly rated in the European skaters by ISS. I would say he is a real prospect but his he is unlucky to play in the NHL much like Gordon, Deblouw, Holland etc (aka all late picks). If anything the fact that he might not come over means we got a better player and a better prospect with the risk that he won't come over.
I never saw anything special out of him in the Subway Super Series, His 88th ranking on ISS I take with a huge grain of salt since they are known to have some rankings so horrible they are downright offensive.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I never saw anything special out of him in the Subway Super Series, His 88th ranking on ISS I take with a huge grain of salt since they are known to have some rankings so horrible they are downright offensive.

Even if you didn't see much in the subway series its not telling a lot. Regardless I see no reason to write him off as a prospect it should just be remember he is unlucky to come over but its not different than remembering JG is tiny or that Janko is well behind in his development compared to his peers etc. All prospects have their own risks that doesn't diminish the fact that they are prospects.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Even if you didn't see much in the subway series its not telling a lot. Regardless I see no reason to write him off as a prospect it should just be remember he is unlucky to come over but its not different than remembering JG is tiny or that Janko is well behind in his development compared to his peers etc. All prospects have their own risks that doesn't diminish the fact that they are prospects.
Lol the guy was drafted and didn't care. He stated his dream is to play in the KHL and not the NHL. He is never coming over and I feel very comfortable saying that in absolute terms.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Lol the guy was drafted and didn't care. He stated his dream is to play in the KHL and not the NHL. He is never coming over and I feel very comfortable saying that in absolute terms.

That's fine but until last year Blues would have told you the same thing about your own avatar.

He is still young and could very easily change his mind.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013

where did he say his dream was to play in the KHL not the NHL? but gillies related he was unreal for america in the game against finland and made about 5 great saves in the last minute to hold the lead.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
where did he say his dream was to play in the KHL not the NHL? but gillies related he was unreal for america in the game against finland and made about 5 great saves in the last minute to hold the lead.
I read it somewhere after he was drafted, don't remember where.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Within the first five posts I keep wanting to select the correct button and write.
Too old, not to old :laugh:

I'm looking forward to seeing what Gillies can do. I truly hope we get a Rask and not a Pogge (that's a call-back). He has some decent tools, and is the only real prospect Calgary has in this tourny... Hope he can be a star; but still lose to Canada.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary

Honestly, I don't remember hearing that whatsoever. This is from when he was drafted.

"I watched first round and went sleep," he told Roman Solovyov of R-Sport. " woke up in the morning check my phone and noticed that the Flames started following me on Twitter and understood."

"I want to play one day here (Calgary), but now only Lokomotiv," he said.

"It's honour to be chosen at the draft but my future is now Lokomotiv where I have a two-year contract," said Rafikov, who had one goal and 10 points in 53 games this season.

"If something goes wrong in Russia, I'll go overseas to change opinions in Calgary about Russians."

Seems like he's comfortable in Russia right now but wants to finish his contract with Lokomotiv and then decide.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
Another great game by John Gillies who records the victory. He surrenders 1 goal on 24 shots. Stats updated shortly.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
Can anyone provide some point form notes on Gillies performance for this game? I was only able to watch the first period where he had little to do except for two brilliant point blank stops in a bit of a scramble.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad